Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trigger points?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newdeal2
Here I am a few weeks later and still sorting out the tuning of my rebuilt D Jet 2.0. Again, I have a 73 Grind WebCam by Jake and flat pistons. Otherwise it's stock.

My new problem is getting the car to idle without hunting below 1400 rpm's, at that level it runs smooth. I also notice if I put pressure on the firewall side of the dixxy it also smooths out [when I have it set below 1000 rpm]. When I accelerate it hesitates as if it's getting too much fuel and then runs like it should once I get over the 2500 mark. I inspected the trigger points and cleaned them a few weeks ago and put a very small dab of grease on the dizzy lobe. Could it be too dry and cause eratic behavoir or is this just the freekin points, etc.

Not loosing it,

Peter
charlesmac
my 70' fastback was doing about the same thing. For some reason I can't remember if i rebuilt the dizzy before or after this happened.(short term memory loss) IPB Image
There is a procedure to test the trigger points, using a ohmmeter, connect one lead to the middle terminal on the trigger connector (where the plug is), then connect the other lead to one of the terminals on either side and turn the engine over without starting it. Repeat the process on the other terminal, keep one lead on the middle terminal. The reading on the ohmmeter should fluctuate between 0 and infinity. If it doesn't, then the trigger points need replacing. If you don't have someone to help by turning the engine over for you, you can take the dizzy out and rotate it by hand using the same procedure with the meter. Hope this helps.
Bleyseng
Its tough to get the 73 cam sometimes to idle right. Check the timing as it must be spot on. Check to make sure all the vacuum hoses are installed right. Check for vacuum leaks. Check the valve lash again. Reset the idle and set the idle mix with a CO meter to get the right A/F mix.
All djet cars hunt until they reach operating temp!
Geoff
r_towle
rebuild the dizzy and make sure the advance plate is all greased up with fresh grease.

this sounds very farmiliar.

Trigger point rarely fail...I think Mueller said something like 4 ohm, so very little chance of failure there.

I have had to rebuild the dizzy a few times to make sure the advance plate works fine.

Rich
Bleyseng
I agree it could be that too. Stupid advance plate sticks from rust or lack of grease.

Geoff
newdeal2
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jan 11 2005, 06:28 PM)
I agree it could be that too. Stupid advance plate sticks from rust or lack of grease.

Geoff

Hmmm...interesting..that could be the reason for the smooth idlel when I put pressure on the dizzy on that side.

Time to go in IPB Image
r_towle
and it only costs about .02 cents

IPB Image
DJsRepS
I would call Jake! Is that cam a good FI cam and not a carbed cam. It could be messing with the motor's vacuume. Check for vacuume leaks all over the motor inc the vac adv on the dist and the MPS and the PVC system. As far as the trigger points mine needed lubing and alot of working free one of the points did not move as freely. Its hinge/pivot point was dry and sticky. And when I checked them with an ohm meter one set was not opening due to wear. Being on the cut throat budget I got myself in I bent / adjusted them to work fine now. I would have liked a new set.
My point of all this is check the movement of each point and ohm them after it is in the distributer. Ps shine up and lube the lobe on the dist shaft that runs the points. Also pull clean and lube the advance plate in the dist as well.
Demick
What are you running for ignition? Hopefully you are not still running a stock set of points. After my rebuild, I temporarily ran a set of stock points (long story), and it had simptoms similar to what you describe. Putting the Pertronix back in made a world of difference. I'm not sure why the stock points worked so crappy. Anyway, thought I'd suggest it.

Demick
DJsRepS
Thats a great suggestion Demink. I have points still and want to do that upgrede. My mark jumps all over when using my timing light. I want one of the new ones that have an adjustment to move the mark around just to help locate it I guess. My dist shaft has no noticible play in the bearing but it must be there to make my mark jump around like that.....Any way NewDeal does your timing mark jump around? needs to be rock solid. If yours is solid it is in better shape than mine. I need to order one of those Pertronics points eliminator sounds good!
newdeal2
QUOTE (DJsRepS @ Jan 13 2005, 03:27 AM)
I would call Jake! Is that cam a good FI cam and not a carbed cam. It could be messing with the motor's vacuume. Check for vacuume leaks all over the motor inc the vac adv on the dist and the MPS and the PVC system. As far as the trigger points mine needed lubing and alot of working free one of the points did not move as freely. Its hinge/pivot point was dry and sticky. And when I checked them with an ohm meter one set was not opening due to wear. Being on the cut throat budget I got myself in I bent / adjusted them to work fine now. I would have liked a new set.
My point of all this is check the movement of each point and ohm them after it is in the distributer. Ps shine up and lube the lobe on the dist shaft that runs the points. Also pull clean and lube the advance plate in the dist as well.

It's a 73 for F1...did my homework prior to rebuild.

Peter
newdeal2
QUOTE (Demick @ Jan 13 2005, 07:30 AM)
What are you running for ignition? Hopefully you are not still running a stock set of points. After my rebuild, I temporarily ran a set of stock points (long story), and it had simptoms similar to what you describe. Putting the Pertronix back in made a world of difference. I'm not sure why the stock points worked so crappy. Anyway, thought I'd suggest it.

Demick

Yep...need to go back. I fried my Petronix. The points are a pain.
newdeal2
QUOTE (DJsRepS @ Jan 13 2005, 11:46 AM)
Thats a great suggestion Demink. I have points still and want to do that upgrede. My mark jumps all over when using my timing light. I want one of the new ones that have an adjustment to move the mark around just to help locate it I guess. My dist shaft has no noticible play in the bearing but it must be there to make my mark jump around like that.....Any way NewDeal does your timing mark jump around? needs to be rock solid. If yours is solid it is in better shape than mine. I need to order one of those Pertronics points eliminator sounds good!

Fairly steady...Petronix will be coming soon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.