Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bushings? We don't need 'um
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Black22
So I took the car out on our 1st 75F day here, just to stretch her legs. I seem to get some pinging at the high end on the RPM range. Changed timing multiple times. Can't quite get it yet.

So as I walk toward the teener from the rear, it looks like the passenger wheel is leaning inwards at the top. I compare it to the drivers side. BIG difference!!!

My first thought. Cracked console ear! NOOOOOOOO! I jack up the car, grab the wheel and I can move it an inch up and down!!! WTF.gif So I pull her back in the garage and (luckily) in about 30 minutes I have the trailing arm off the car and I find this...

Click to view attachment

There is supposed to be a bushing there, No? lol-2.gif

Just placed my order to Eric at PMB. smash.gif These are literally the only things I have never replaced on this car! Ear is fine, no ovaling or cracks. pray.gif Trailing arm came off nicely. Car still had the caps on the three outside console bolts!

Eugene, Oregon alignment shop recommendations anyone?
ConeDodger
Roads are so good in Oregon you don't really need bushings, right?? biggrin.gif
Black22
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 7 2014, 10:32 PM) *

Roads are so good in Oregon you don't really need bushings, right?? biggrin.gif

Ummm...no. blink.gif av-943.gif
bdstone914
Are you replacing both sides? The other arm may be ready to go out too.
Matt Romanowski
You didn't notice that driving? It must have been going bad for a while.
914_teener
I'd do both sides like Bruce suggests.

Are you sure the pinging isn't from bad fuel?

I'd add some fuel treatment first......

Black22
Yeah, I'm going to do both sides. The only indication was the leaning tire! It creaked and groaned on that side like most teeners with poly bushings do when pushed down on that side.

Drove fine.......or did it? It may feel like a Caddilac when I'm done. lol-2.gif

I suspect bad gas too, but I just added octane booster to the tank and only drove 1 mile before I tore into the trailing arm. dry.gif
914_teener
I am thinking you,ve maybe got water separation in the fuel...and hence the pinging.

Since you don't live in Sunny So. Cal anymore.....and the car has been sitting...maybe that was what it was.

Anyway.....put zerk's in the new bushings when you get everything together....one per bushing. It shouldn't be squeaking when you are done.

Hope everyone is fine up there.
timothy_nd28
Bushings look fine. Fill in the cavity with some great foam. bye1.gif
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Apr 9 2014, 12:22 AM) *

Bushings look fine. Fill in the cavity with some great foam. bye1.gif

av-943.gif I like it.

How about just welding the trailing arms to the ears? You know, for that classic "Hard Tail" ride.
Black22
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 8 2014, 09:37 PM) *

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Apr 9 2014, 12:22 AM) *

How about just welding the trailing arms to the ears? You know, for that classic "Hard Tail" ride.

Might have to! blink.gif Got the old bushings out! 914 part # on them?!? Would these be original?

Pulled the first shaft out and this is what I found! MAJOR rust deterioration!

Click to view attachment

confused24.gif ar15.gif
brant
Shafts are around and might be worth it
r_towle
Chris foley sells a new setup with shafts.

Www.tangerineracing.com
brant
I think I may have a pair of excellent stock also
DRPHIL914
mine were all original and upon removal were pretty rusted, sagging on the right after having put the new shocks and springs on - i got newly repowdercoated ones from Bruce stone, new pivot shafts and bushings from Eric Shea - he also put in the zerks for me!, but also check with Chris Foley, he does these as well and you can get them either black or orange- I got my C.V.'s from Chris . you might as well do it right and do both sides at the same time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.