Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which front struts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Old Yella
How can you tell what make you front strut housings are? There doesn't appear to be anything written on them unlike the 911 ones which have the Boge stamp on the outside face or are colour codes like the Bilsteins?

I'm trying to determine which inserts will fit the struts I have for a 1976 914.

thanks in advance.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Old Yella @ Apr 8 2014, 07:34 AM) *

How can you tell what make you front strut housings are? There doesn't appear to be anything written on them unlike the 911 ones which have the Boge stamp on the outside face or are colour codes like the Bilsteins?

I'm trying to determine which inserts will fit the struts I have for a 1976 914.

thanks in advance.

They are stamped up high on the housing under the top sleeve.
Almost all struts were Boge. Bilstein have a roll pin at the bottom.
I do not think Koni was an option on a 914.
Bruce
Cap'n Krusty
Koni's were an option. I doubt Bilsteins were, and the design with the pin at the base of the strut appeared after the 914 ceased production, IIRC.

The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 8 2014, 09:36 AM) *

Koni's were an option. I doubt Bilsteins were, and the design with the pin at the base of the strut appeared after the 914 ceased production, IIRC.

The Cap'n

I'm kinda in Bruce's camp on this one.

I've never seen a 914 Koni strut. Plenty of stock 914 Bilstein struts though. You sure? confused24.gif
Old Yella
So will Sachs , Koni and Bilstein inserts all fit in a 76 front factory original front strut?

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 8 2014, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 8 2014, 09:36 AM) *

The Cap'n

I'm kinda in Bruce's camp on this one.

I've never seen a 914 Koni strut. Plenty of stock 914 Bilstein struts though. You sure? confused24.gif

Paragon
QUOTE(Old Yella @ Apr 8 2014, 11:44 AM) *

So will Sachs , Koni and Bilstein inserts all fit in a 76 front factory original front strut?

If you have black Boge strut housings, which most 914's do, yes. Sachs, Koni and Bilstein all make inserts for that application. I've sold LOTS of Koni's for 914's over the years and I think I've only run into one car that had original Bilstein struts. Sounds like others have seen more but I'd say a Bilstein equipped 914 is on the rare side.
Eric_Shea
welcome.png Jason!

I think the confusion is "strut housings" vs. "strut inserts"

For 914-4's the most common "strut housing" is Boge and Bilsteins are very rare but, they do exist. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=216192

While I've seen a ton of Koni strut "inserts" installed in 914's; I've never seen a 914-4 orange Koni strut housing. I didn't know they existed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.