Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flares and desirability
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
As you can see from the picture below I had an off at Streets of Willow that did a number on the sheet metal on the car. From my initial investigation, the damage doesn't appear to go beyond the outer skin (fenders and door skin) of the car.

I've always wanted a flared car, but my wife is starting to push for me to start working towards a 911. In peoples opinion, with a 'hot rod' like the car is, would glass flares (riveted or bonded) increase or decrease the desirability of the car over putting stock fenders back on? I have already provisioned and committed to buy stock parts, but it's not that big of a deal at this point. Price is always an issue to consider, but the QRS flares seem affordable.

You can see more about the off here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=233699

Click to view attachment
914werke
IMHO Decrease
r_towle
given how that is shaped, I would suggest you get a long 2*4 and use it to push quite a bit of that back out again.

You could move a lot of that fender dent with some good leverage.

The door is even easier, pull the inner panel and start popping that dent back out by pushing it with your hands, then gently with a 2*4

I would suggest you fix it and keep on pushing for the 911 your wife wants....

Rich
gms
I feel it would decrease the value of the car however if you plan on running more track events I would put the fiberglass on and then you will limit your damage from more off track excursions. Attach the fiberglass with dzus fasteners and then if you have another mishap it will be easily repaired. The fiberglass will give a little before breaking and sometimes you can just repair it yourself. Definitely buy the replacement steel panels now because they will only increase in value as they become more scarce.
JmuRiz
Decrease...if you want increased value, go metal.
yeahmag
I guess the few big things with this car to consider are:

- 2056cc dry sump'ed/cam'ed/carb'ed motor
- No rubber in suspension and big springs/torsionsion bars. Although I find it very amenable on the street. I wouldn't want to do more than a few hours drive in it if I had a choice though.

It's a true hot rod. It can be daily driven, but not what it's built for.
boogie_man
I think you can fix most of that although flares are cool, you'd be buying bigger tires/rims to also fit those. I think all those panels could be massaged out with the correct access my.02

Scott
r_towle
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Apr 9 2014, 04:18 PM) *

I guess the few big things with this car to consider are:

- 2056cc dry sump'ed/cam'ed/carb'ed motor
- No rubber in suspension and big springs/torsionsion bars. Although I find it very amenable on the street. I wouldn't want to do more than a few hours drive in it if I had a choice though.

It's a true hot rod. It can be daily driven, but not what it's built for.

Go look at what Elliott did....quick and simple.

Read the rules of the racing body you are running with...you will get bumped.

At this point you should not worry about value, its not what you are doing with the car.

The Metal Surgeon
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Apr 9 2014, 02:01 PM) *

Decrease...if you want increased value, go metal.

metal looks pretty sexy and will add value to your car!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Larmo63
Looking at Metal Surgeon's bodywork is like me watching Eric Clapton play guitar. I play guitar, but I KNOW I'm never going to be that good.
Andyrew
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 9 2014, 12:19 PM) *

given how that is shaped, I would suggest you get a long 2*4 and use it to push quite a bit of that back out again.

The door is even easier, pull the inner panel and start popping that dent back out by pushing it with your hands, then gently with a 2*4

Rich

I agree with this 100%.. If its a hot rod/race car dont put money in the body.

Pop the dents out, If you cant get enough leverage with a 2x4, put an aluminum jack in there. If you still cant get it to your liking grab a slide hammer (But most of that should come out with some heavy pulling)

You should be able to get it looking close to straight enough with a weekends worth of work. Grab a hammer/dolly set from harbor freight for the little things if you want to go that route...

THEN Grab 4 cans of Plastic dip in a color you like and spray the doors/fenders. They'll add some minor protection and is super easy to peal off if you ever want to really paint the car or go for a different color.. Black on green or white on green would look pretty good.. Home Depot has plasti dip.
The Metal Surgeon
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 10 2014, 01:41 PM) *

Rich

Pop the dents out, If you cant get enough leverage with a 2x4, put an aluminum jack in there. If you still cant get it to your liking grab a slide hammer (But most of that should come out with some heavy pulling)

You should be able to get it looking close to straight enough with a weekends worth of work. Grab a hammer/dolly set from harbor freight for the little things if you want to go that route...

THEN Grab 4 cans of Plastic dip in a color you like and spray the doors/fenders. They'll add some minor protection and is super easy to peal off if you ever want to really paint the car or go for a different color.. Black on green or white on green would look pretty good.. Home Depot has plasti dip.

we are looking for help ,you should apply smash.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Apr 11 2014, 10:38 PM) *

Rich

In the land of legal pot, I am surprised you get anything at all done on time.
That would be my fate if I moved out there.....sitting on the porch ( which I could not afford to buy, just rent) driving some old beat ass car......but high and smiling trying to remember who I worked for and what time I was supposed to be there, on what day.
Andyrew
QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Apr 11 2014, 07:38 PM) *

Rich

I appreciate the offer! But metal craft is just a hobby of mine.. That would be one hell of a relocation smile.gif and probably a severe pay cut sad.gif. Thanks though!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.