Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint Striping Nightmare
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dbarenboym
Ok. The guy who I got my 914 from self painted the car over the previous paint without scuffing it or doing much else. I think in fact he did a spray can paint.

I want to have the car painted but I noticed that when i was cleaning the car with compressed air it started to peel some places. Not good places ether. So now I am worried. What can i do. Clearly if i just bring it to a shop and they try to partially scuff it and paint over at some point some of the places will peel.

I saw an ad for Aircraft Paint Remover that can be applied with a brush and once dried removed with a pressure hose (water).

Help I am afraid of doing the wrong thing and making it worst. At the same time I can't give it to a shop and pay $$$ for them to do something.
boogie_man
If it was poorly prep and painted, you can either sand it away with a D/A and 80 to 150 grit and spend a lot of time sanding it off or, you can carefully mask/protect your jambs and undersides and use aircraft stripper but it's a nasty chemical but very effective. Do it out of the sun and maybe do one panel at a time til you can get the feel of how it works, are the jambs the same with poor prep? Hope not as that will take some serious effort to do it right. Good luck and post some pictures for more help..

Scott
dbarenboym
here are some pictures. Don't be scared. It can all be fixed :-)
boogie_man
You can try using lacquer thinner in small areas 1st to see how weak that paint is as well as sand the holy heck out of the outside or use paint stripper. You going back to yellow or a other color of your choice ??
r_towle
well, you could use aircraft stripper and get it down to bare metal.
OR
you can use a sander which will allow you to get rid of that top coat, and get into that base coat to clean up the issues, and create some teeth for the next layer of paint.

Either way, you need to strip that paint off.

Rich
dbarenboym
This says it will only remove clear and top coat. Will not harm the base coat. I think I want to try this. http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=82&prodid=123
boogie_man
QUOTE(dbarenboym @ Apr 9 2014, 01:12 PM) *

This says it will only remove clear and top coat. Will not harm the base coat. I think I want to try this. http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=82&prodid=123

You can try that but try it in small places 1st to check and get the result you want. I agree with sanding it with a combo off 80/150 grit one panel at a time. Sanding it would be better IMO as strippers strip to metal will require more work treating and etching the bare metal which is why I would have a sanding party to sand all the blue off almost thru the yellow as the factory paint and seal is pretty good.
bandjoey
WOW. Rattle can paint. Try the car wash or a pressure washer. It might blow a lot of it off. Then a DA sander. Electric one from HF is cheap and works great for this kind of work. Chemicals are messy stinky and takes a lot of cleanup.

Sand it down to the original finish and then repaint properly. What was the original color or paint code on the drivers door jam plate?
2mAn
If the paint job is bad enough you could even start with graffiti remover or oven cleaner. I used a graffiti remover and had a good start, but eventually I still had to sand a lot. Not fun. Good luck. It looks like it was blue originally, are you planning to go back to the original color?
dbarenboym
Not the answers i was hoping for. I want this baby on the road in 4 weeks. I was hoping for "yeah spray it and its gonna be beautiful" ;-). But i guess i knew better.

I am not going to original. I want the orange color on it. Love it.

I am more afraid that after i sand it ill find that there are more issues to deal with. Aghhhrr. I wish i knew people in Mass that were up for a sanding party.
r_towle
Stop shopping for the answer you want and trust the answer you are getting.

Sand off the crappy paint, try not to sand off what else is there.

First, for a simple test, try rubbing laquer thinner on that top coat....it will not harm the original paint, but it may take off that paint if its rattle can....so would mineral spirits, and quite possibly paint thinner...

Try a bit using a white rag, if the rag starts turning the color of the paint, you can wash off that paint with the right petroleum based product and get down to the original paint.

rich
carr914
Let me be the Voice of Reason

The Existing Paint Sucks
You want it done in a month, so you don't care about quality much more than the guy that rattle-canned it
The car ain't never going to a concours

Plasti-Dip the car! It looks OK, is self leveling, it's quick, it's cheap, you can do it in your driveway this weekend.

Done!
'73-914kid
Consider Maaco.... Strip everything off the car and have them sand it down and spray it.. Might got you 1500-2000 bucks and will take probably 2 weeks..

Otherwise, strip it all off and start over.
wndsnd
If you want to drive it soon, forget the paint entirely at this time, and do the mechanicals. That alone will be enough to keep you busy.

Then, when you are ready, maybe late fall, you can take it down to bare metal. That is the only way to fix any underlying problems so they don't come right through the nice orange paint you want to put on there. If you are going to use stripper, get the most aggressive you can get that can be neutralized with water. Aircraft seems to be it these days. Get a large roll of craft masking paper from the auto body shop and layer it out under the car. Start on one section and as t dries, reapply until you see uniform lifting of paint. Wear gloves with a scotcklock pad and aggressively apply more till you get down to the steel. Roll up the paper with the mess and the scrap and lay down a new set if needed to go around again.

The paint remover likes to be on at about 50 degrees or better for good activation! Don't get it too hot from direct sunlight. I have found that it is messy but effective and will do the least amount of damage to a virgin panel.

Grinding also has its places on outside panels and large spaces but I would start at 120 and move down to 80 if necessary. Dust is neutral also, you don't have to worry about it being in any unfound corners and lifting new primer and paint. and you can be careful with sanding and protect the body. If you chemically strip you have to chase down all dripping and excess pooling and get it off and neutralized and the car wiped clean. There will be places on doors and jambs that you will have to strip anyway, so ven if you decide to sand as your primary removal process you will use both systems.

If you decide to strip chemically, you can do everything this way be glad to help demonstrate some options for you if you want, I shouldn't be to far away.
Can you transport the car to Amesbury? We could have a go at it and try a couple of removal systems.

John

edited: because my autocorrect and spell on my tablet writes like an idiot.
carr914
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Apr 9 2014, 10:39 PM) *

If you want to drive it soon, forget the paint entirely at this time, and do the mechanicals. That alone will be enough to keep you busy.

Then, when you are ready, maybe late fall, you take it dwn to bare metal. Only way to fix any underlying problems so they don't come right through the nice orange you want on there. If you are going to use stripper, get the most aggressive you can get that can be neutralized with water. Aircraft seems to be it these days. Get a large roll of craft masking paper from the auto body shop and layer it out under the car. Start on one section and as t dries, reapply until you see uniform lifting of paint? Wear gloves with a scotcklock pad and aggressively more give down to the steel. Roll up the paper with the mess and the scrap and lay down a new set if needed to go around in carnage in.

The paint remover likes to be on about 50 degrees fo a good activation!,,don't get it too hot info seem direct me sunlight. I have found that it is messy but effective and will do the least amount of damage to a virgin panel.

Grinding does also has its places on outside panels and large space but I would start at 120 and move down to 80 if necessary. Dust is neutral when you grind so if you are slow and careful on you can protect the body all. If you chemically strip you have to chase down all dripping and excess pooling and get mit off and neutralized and the car wiped clean. There will be places on doors and jambs that you will have to strip anyway, even if you decide to sand as your primary removal process so you will use both systems.

If you decide to strip chemically, you can do everything this way be glad to help demonstrate some options to you if you want, Ishouldnt bee tomfar away.
Can you transport the car to Amesbury? We could have a gomat it and try a couple of removal systems.

John

I mostly agree, except whenever you get to the point of doing it close to right, you going to find problems and then it is going on JackStands - for Years!

Fuch That! Drive it Like you Stole it. Have Fun with it - that is what is supposed to be about! driving.gif
boxstr
I have used a citrus based paint stripper that I found on The Samba. I will post the name tomorrow. It sprays on and you leave it over night and it takes the paint down to the bare metal. I have given it to friends and they love the stuff.
Craig at CAMP
rick 918-S
Don't waste your time or money if your not going to do it right. You don't like the job the last guy did. It can't be recoated as is. Disassemble the car, strip off all the paint and start over. Any shop worth it's salt wouldn't touch that car with a ten foot pole unless the paint comes off. All off.
boxstr
The product that is have used is Citristrip, works great. The other way to get that paint off is media blasting. Companies here can do the whole car. But it would be best if completely disassembled.
Craig at CAMP
ThePaintedMan
Piling on with others here. You want to drive it in four weeks, then worry about what makes it drive.

I wouldn't even go near any kind of aircraft remover or the like unless you're planning on doing the requisite metal work, sealing the bare metal appropriately, filler, primer and good paint. Once you take the paint off, you need to follow the appropriate steps to put it back on, otherwise you're wasting your money and spinning your wheels. Paint is not cheap, but can be made less expensive by doing it right the first time.

There is a reason why the car was rattle-canned the first time, most likely because the underlying paint isn't pretty and there are rust problems. In which case, the whole thing needs to go back down to bare metal, or at minimum, the areas where rust is/was an issue.
CptTripps
Seriously. PlastiDip would be great for what you want. Until you can afford the time/money needed to do it right.
Andyrew
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 10 2014, 10:37 AM) *

Seriously. PlastiDip would be great for what you want. Until you can afford the time/money needed to do it right.

^

I agree with this...

Easy to peal off as well when you want to actually take the time to paint it right...

Plastic dip comes in some cool colors now to..
chads74
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 10 2014, 09:17 AM) *

Piling on with others here. You want to drive it in four weeks, then worry about what makes it drive.

I wouldn't even go near any kind of aircraft remover or the like unless you're planning on doing the requisite metal work, sealing the bare metal appropriately, filler, primer and good paint. Once you take the paint off, you need to follow the appropriate steps to put it back on, otherwise you're wasting your money and spinning your wheels. Paint is not cheap, but can be made less expensive by doing it right the first time.

There is a reason why the car was rattle-canned the first time, most likely because the underlying paint isn't pretty and there are rust problems. In which case, the whole thing needs to go back down to bare metal, or at minimum, the areas where rust is/was an issue.

This is exactly why I haven't painted my car yet. I want it done right, so in the mean time I am just enjoying driving a fun car. That looks realy good at night from 50 ft.
Chris H.
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 10 2014, 02:44 PM) *

Plastic dip comes in some cool colors now to..

Check it out...you can mix your own color now...

Plasti Dip Mixyerowncolorkit

I want that!
wndsnd
I am going to Plastidip some LeMans Stripes on the car today.

I had acdcforever, cut me some vinyl masking to the dimmensions of a Shelby GT350 and scaled to the 914.

I hope I don't screw up a new paint job!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

worn
QUOTE(dbarenboym @ Apr 9 2014, 11:13 AM) *

Ok. The guy who I got my 914 from self painted the car over the previous paint without scuffing it or doing much else. I think in fact he did a spray can paint.

I want to have the car painted but I noticed that when i was cleaning the car with compressed air it started to peel some places. Not good places ether. So now I am worried. What can i do. Clearly if i just bring it to a shop and they try to partially scuff it and paint over at some point some of the places will peel.

I saw an ad for Aircraft Paint Remover that can be applied with a brush and once dried removed with a pressure hose (water).

Help I am afraid of doing the wrong thing and making it worst. At the same time I can't give it to a shop and pay $$$ for them to do something.

Been there. Painting a car is 90% preparation and then the paint goes on. I have stripped my conversion candidate down to bare metal. After I used the aircraft stripper, I used a wire brush (power) and then sanding and then scuffing. I have 10 angle grinders with various weapons on them. This is a big deal - especially if you are removing paint put on well. The rattle can paint will come off with simple rubbing and lacquer thinner. But there probably was a reason the previous owner painted it.

I am with many others. You have a choice of someday far in the future getting a great looking car after spending much time and money and discovering rust for repair. OR you can enjoy it. That is why I have 2 of them. One actually is on wheels. The other will look good someday. I ordered a gallon of DCC Bahia red this morning and will pick it up in a few minutes. It may be too much, but there is a gallon price break. The paint is going to be several hundred dollars just for the top coat materials. AND I will pick it up in my scruffy 914 laugh.gif
dbarenboym
First off I love this forum. Great responses in very short time. Thank you everyone who responded to this difficult question. To those who say I am no better than the guy before me - all i can say is don't be hating :-).... Here is my plan of attack based on your responses.

Over the next 2 weeks I will be doing all the metal work required to fix bad spots that are rusted out. There are some but they are all fixable. I will install new fuel lines, Fuel pump, get rid of points, install new fuel rubber lines, new break lines, and deal with rotors, calipers and rebuilt the pedal assembly. After that I will cover the car with rubber paint and drive it for the summer. During the summer I will see how it drives, assess the engine and decide if I want to do an upgrade to a 2.0 or keep it at 1.7 and if the engine needs work.

After the summer I will strip down the car completely in the garage. Blast it, fix all the issues with metal that I missed and are under the paint. And paint the car right before next summer.

How is that. Any objections?
d914
Just limit your down time and careful of "while I'm there syndrome"!

Keep her running as long as possible, and get her running again as fast as possible.

I'm working on 8 years of car in process. I have learned that several of those years I could have been driving my car instead of just looking at it!!

Plan on what the car will be...stick to it.. keep her on the road until the last possible minute!!
wndsnd
Rubber Paint!

Click to view attachment
Ferg
score the edges with a razor blade, plasti dip does not like to be tapeline pulled...

wndsnd
Just found that out.

Scrap this job.

Comes off easily though.

Note to Dippers.

If you are going to mask, you have to pull wet.

John
matthepcat
To fully dip a car and you plan to run it like that for a long period of time, you need between 5-7 coats. This allows you to scrub in areas to remove bugs etc.

Also note, you are supposed to use a special pad when washing dipped cars.
carr914
QUOTE(dbarenboym @ Apr 11 2014, 02:54 PM) *

Over the next 2 weeks I will be doing all the metal work required to fix bad spots that are rusted out. There are some but they are all fixable. I will install new fuel lines, Fuel pump, get rid of points, install new fuel rubber lines, new break lines, and deal with rotors, calipers and rebuilt the pedal assembly. After that I will cover the car with rubber paint and drive it for the summer.

Are you running a Meth Lab in the Garage next to the 914? You better not get any sleep for the next 2 weeks to get all that done.
bandjoey
Brush on? Rattle can spray? Paint sprayer? How did you apply it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.