Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Longitudinal Heater Tubes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gint
Are they available new anywhere? I need to know if I can sacrifice mine when cutting the rotten quarter off.
Aaron Cox
try AA, in their cd catlog, they have video of a /6 that was dipped, to remove rust, paint etc....this made those tubes you speak of melt into goo smash.gif they said they would put some new ones in...so try AA (as much as that sucks)
Gint
I would make every effort to salvage mine or find one somewhere else before I ever went to AA.

But thanks for the reply. beer.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gint @ May 29 2003, 09:38 AM)
I would make every effort to salvage mine or find one somewhere else before I ever went to AA.

But thanks for the reply. beer.gif

as far as i know, it's just paper-tubing similar to the ones used in the front (from the outlet to the fresh air box) ...

Andy
Gint
Oh no! Not even close. I'll get a "cut-away" pics for you later when I get home.
Lawrence
I posted some pictures on my website...

Anatomy of a Longitudinal

For some reason, the larger images aren't up there. I'll look into that when I get home.

Constructing your own hose shouldn't be rocket science... Perhaps even making one out of radiator hose, covered with some insulation to keep it all warm.

WHY Porsche decided to do it this way is beyond my comprehension.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lawrence @ May 29 2003, 10:45 AM)
For some reason, the larger images aren't up there. I'll look into that when I get home.

just click through them here: laugh.gif

http://www.highway914.net/tech/long_anatomy/

Lawrence, you might want to consider turning OFF directory browsing on that web-server ...

Andy
SirAndy
sooo, that might be a stupid question, but ....

if you have to cut the long (at least a small "window") to get the new hose back in, why not open the longs BEFORE you dip the car and take the tube out, then put it back in afterwards and be done with it !?!?!

Andy
Brad Roberts
This has got to be PAM.. LOL

B
Brad Roberts
Where is she anyway ??.. I know she doesnt like me.. but that shouldnt stop her from joining this BBS.LOL

B
Lawrence
Here's the pic.

Thanks, Andy. smile.gif
Lawrence
Where is she anyway ??.. I know she doesnt like me.. but that shouldnt stop her from joining this BBS.LOL

B

Well, you certainly live up to your reputation in her mind, Brad. lol2.gif

She browses anonymously... and sends me comments offline.

-Rusty
Brad Roberts
That is a great pic LB. Those are called "silencers".. just like a gun silencer. They where used to keep the sound noise down from the engine. I will cut a hole in the outside frame rail with a plasma cutter and pull them out before I acid dip the next chassis.

B
Lawrence
If everything is solid on the car, wouldn't it be easier to cut from the inside and then weld it back up?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 29 2003, 11:11 AM)
I will cut a hole in the outside frame rail with a plasma cutter and pull them out before I acid dip the next chassis.

that aswered my question smile.gif
Brad Roberts
There is a flat plate on the outside at the very front of the frame rail that gets cut for this.

I dont really see any reason why I couldnt cut the inside (except the outside is tad easier to get to) when the car is on a rotisserie.

B
Brad Roberts
Tell Pam I said hello...and tell her I'm into my 30's now and more grown up (ha ha)

B
Gint
Rusty's pics are the tube I'm talking about.

sooo, that might be a stupid question, but ....

if you have to cut the long (at least a small "window") to get the new hose back in, why not open the longs BEFORE you dip the car and take the tube out, then put it back in afterwards and be done with it !?!?!

In my case, I got over zealous to cut the domor car in half and get it out of the garage. So the tubes in it are shot. On the /6, given the condition of that rusty long, I'm not optomistic about the condition of the tube. I wil try to get it out in one piece though. We'll see.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.