Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC, VW builds its last Kombis
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
From Hemmings Motor News, the VW bus production ceased at the end of 2013. These were powered by the water cooled 4. The basic shape is timeless and recognizable on any street corner in the world. The last kombis have a "56" logo on it, commerating its 5+ decades of service.
I miss my 3.2L powered '86 syncro sad.gif
Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
So, what's the deal?? They just weren't popular enough?
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 12 2014, 10:16 PM) *

Since this style of kombi stopped import to USA after1979, it was only sold in certain world markets thereafter. From 1980+. The Vanagon ran up through the early 90's, then came the introduction of the front engine Eurovan. Dollar for dollar I think the VW factories , Like Puebla Mexico, will turn out more profitable VWs other than this good old bus. Good long run for the bus beer.gif
Marty
euro911
I originally set out to buy 'Bay' westy, but since I was planning to eventually do a Subi conversion, decided to look for a Vanagon H2O model.

Interesting to see what appears to be a taller tin top on the later Bays confused24.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 12 2014, 09:16 PM) *

They stopped making hippies 20 years ago and now there's no one to buy buses. happy11.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 12 2014, 11:18 PM) *

I originally set out to buy 'Bay' westy, but since I was planning to eventually do a Subi conversion, decided to look for a Vanagon H2O model.

Interesting to see what appears to be a taller tin top on the later Bays confused24.gif

Good call on the roof height. A Vanagon with a Subie makes a sweet ride. I've had my '87 Syncro Westy with a 3.3 six on the road for about 6 months now. It seems almost unnatural to drive in the fast lane or effortlessly climb hills. Did you know that the 914 wheelbase is 2" longer than a Bay? There's only 1/2" difference between a 914 and a Vanagon.
76-914
This was posted last year. Brazils new safety or fuel emissions laws (I forget which) went into effect 2014/1/1. It was too much $$$ to re tool and change design. Many, many Brazilian business' depend upon these VW vans and many said they will go out of business w/o them. Look for these to be snatched up.
arcadeforever
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 12 2014, 11:31 PM) *

From Hemmings Motor News, the VW bus production ceased at the end of 2013. These were powered by the water cooled 4. The basic shape is timeless and recognizable on any street corner in the world. The last kombis have a "56" logo on it, commerating its 5+ decades of service.
I miss my 3.2L powered '86 syncro sad.gif
Click to view attachment

It is a shame. But Im sure they dont pass safety standards anymore. There is really nothing up front to protect against impact. I wont ever sell mine, it so much fun to drive.

IPB Image
euro911
QUOTE(arcadeforever @ Apr 14 2014, 04:38 AM) *
It is a shame. But Im sure they dont pass safety standards anymore. There is really nothing up front to protect against impact. I wont ever sell mine, it so much fun to drive.
I had a '67 and now the '84 Vanagon, never had a Bay. I've never even ridden in a Bay.

I was young when I had the '67, never thought about safety standards. I've seen crash test videos for Vanagons and was quite surprised at how well they held up.
KELTY360
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 14 2014, 08:09 AM) *

QUOTE(arcadeforever @ Apr 14 2014, 04:38 AM) *
I had a '67 and now the '84 Vanagon, never had a Bay. I've never even ridden in a Bay.

I was young when I had the '67, never thought about safety standards. I've seen crash test videos for Vanagons and was quite surprised at how well they held up.

I had a '72 tin top Westy in the late 70s. Loved driving it, very convenient camping arrangement but brrrrr in the winter. Makes me appreciate a water cooled Vanagon with real heat.

There is nothing quite like a VW Bus....in any configuration. Sorry to see them out of production but they will always live on....long live The Bus.
Johny Blackstain
Although not as pretty as the original bus, I've always been partial to the B32:
KELTY360
I'm going to try to embed a video but I've never done it before. Here goes.

Kombi Last Wishes
KELTY360
Well, that only created a link. Anybody know how to embed a vid?
euro911
Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/tXynxODC4eY

If you 'quote reply' to this, you'll see how to frame the link
KELTY360
Thanks Mark. I'll try to remember that for next time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.