Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Current excellent waxing products
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
I haven't polished or waxed my 914 in 15 years. Yeah, that's right. It hasn't seen the sun in 7 years, but has been dry washed at least 10 times. Usually under 2 covers and a blanket, but I left it visual this winter. Dry washed it again today & noticed that it feels less slick. So I think some wax is needed.

All my Meguiars things are not trustworthy because of age.

So, am looking for recom's. Its clearcoated bahia red.
Pat
wndsnd
I have been a fan of Zymol for years. It has a tropical coconut type smell. It reminds me of rubbing lotion on a bikini babe.

Not a bad thing at all, Oh, it seems to be a good hard wax as well. biggrin.gif

John

infraredcalvin
I'm still a fan of the meguires/mothers stuff, 3m products are good too. Whatever you use, make sure if you use a 'system' of products use the same brand, some cleaners, polish, wax are not compatible and won't give you the deep shine you may expect. Be sure to use a good cleaner to get any residual old wax off before going with new.
mepstein
Pat - Is the car running?
Dtjaden
I like Adam's Premium Car Care products. They have a great selection of products available via web or thru select dealers.

They also have a quite a number of video tutorials on the use of their system products.
'73-914kid
In my recent escapades as a concours weenie, I was recommended to use P21S products my my local Porsche parts guy who concours his wife's '69 911s Targa..

I use their wheelcleaner to excellent success, they're "Paintwork Cleanser" for light polishing, and then they have a wonderful Carnuba wax. It helps keep things looking wonderful, and I'll polish the paint once every two months by hand with the paintwork cleanser.

I've been extremely happy with all the products they make..

AfricanHijinx
I love Griots Garage products. I use it on everything I drive
Jasfsmith
I've been using P21S for years. Wash with their "bodywork conditioning shampoo", clay after dry if necessary, prep the paint with the paintwork cleanser and then apply the carnuaba paste wax. Been using the "Concours Carnauba" wax for years but might move to the newer "100% Carnauba" as soon as my current jar empties.

I use Wurth "Zebra" for light dusting between waxings.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Apr 13 2014, 06:19 PM) *

I have been a fan of Zymol for years. It has a tropical coconut type smell. It reminds me of rubbing lotion on a bikini babe.

John

Zymol is great wax. Only down side is, it has to be stored in the fridge. biggrin.gif Plus it's REALLY expensive. shades.gif
porbmw
You guys don't have kids...or enough kids.....running you ragged around and aboot....

poke.gif
wndsnd
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 14 2014, 02:05 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Apr 13 2014, 06:19 PM) *

John

Zymol is great wax. Only down side is, it has to be stored in the fridge. biggrin.gif Plus it's REALLY expensive. shades.gif

I have never refridgerated mine, but I live in the Northeast and it is frigid here.
Even in the summer the garage is cool.
r_towle
I just use Caranuba wax.

Occasionally I use a wax/cleaner, but only when the paint is really dirty.

Prior to either process, I clay bar the car.

rich
tod914
Like James, I'm a big fan of PS21 products. How involved to you want to get in detailing your car? I gave Paul (orthobiz), a very detailed how to do, and what to use list when he was prepping his car for Parade. I used the described technique on Froggy. You can search for that if your interested. Located in the preservation forum some where.
You could likely omit the 1Z products and just do a wash, clay bar, PS21 paint cleaner, then wax, unless your paint is oxidized. With knowing you, I highly doubt that's the case. DO NOT USE the Mequires clay bar system. It's too sticky and will leave residue on your paint surface. The Uber blue bar works extemely well. It's better than the Mother's setup, which I also though was good.
Getting Fritz on the road this year Pat?
r_towle
QUOTE(tod914 @ Apr 14 2014, 04:44 PM) *

Like James, I'm a big fan of PS21 products. How involved to you want to get in detailing your car? I gave Paul (orthobiz), a very detailed how to do, and what to use list when he was prepping his car for Parade. I used the described technique on Froggy. You can search for that if your interested. Located in the preservation forum some where.
You could likely omit the 1Z products and just do a wash, clay bar, PS21 paint cleaner, then wax, unless your paint is oxidized. With knowing you, I highly doubt that's the case. DO NOT USE the Mequires clay bar system. It's too sticky and will leave residue on your paint surface. The Uber blue bar works extemely well. It's better than the Mother's setup, which I also though was good.
Getting Fritz on the road this year Pat?

Interesting, I had no issues with the Meguires clay bar....but I washed the car really well after that process to get all the remaining residue off the car.

I believe that wax is the sacrificial layer to protect all the hard work you just did cleaning the car....not much more.

Rich
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 13 2014, 08:05 PM) *

Pat - Is the car running?

NO!
tod914
Rich, I tried on it two different cars. Both were washed, and a liberal amount of the detailer spray applied. Was sticking, leaving a residue. The cars were washed with Palmolive green dish soap to remove all prior wax coatings. Maybe that made it less compliant. With the Mother's and Uber, I didn't have that issue. What's nice about the PS21 wax, even though it doesn't last long, it's white/clear. Some of the brownish colored waxes I tried in the past, leave a subtle tint on lighter color cars. Overly nit picky, but just an observation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.