Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
I am making some pretty fair progress, with 80% of the crap cleaned up (tar, paint, dirt) to original surfaces and bare metal. After a long winter of welding, I have begun the painting stage. Yesterday I got to try the original overspray over grey sealer. I bought what may have been the last can of Wurth grey undersealer for the bottom of the floors. I loaded the paint gun with Bahia Red and then taped off the top fan air jet on the gun so the paint would spray a horizontal fan angled upwards. That worked and I have overspray over sealer now. Frankly although it resembles photos on this site, it looks kinda silly, but there is some appeal.

So that brings up the question. If I have a 72 that was a 4 cylinder car, is there any reason to try to follow originality? I cut off the old engine mounts, but I have 911 front spindles and brakes all around for the 5 lug, and a 3.2 engine from 1984. So although the tub may have at one point been near a real 6 in the factory, there is no way on earth that this is a real 914-6. Frankly, I don't want the 2.0 engine anyway.

I guess the point of my question is that I am pushing 60 real hard now. Although I am making this strictly for myself to drive, someday, perhaps soon, my family could end up trying to sell the thing. I don't want to leave them a personalized albatross. I decided on original paint color in the end. Are there any other bows to originality that I should be making for resale value? It will be a narrow body car - I am not convinced about the flares.

Thanks folks.
CptTripps
A properly done 6 conversion will nearly always sell. Sure,m you won't get "real 6" prices, but youf family won't have an issue selling it. They may not (read: likely won't) get what you've put into it at a sale...but it shouldn't be hard to find a home for.

Again...stressing the "Properly done" part. From looking at what parts you have, you should be in good shape there though.

..just my .02
worn
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 14 2014, 07:42 AM) *

A properly done 6 conversion will nearly always sell. Sure,m you won't get "real 6" prices, but youf family won't have an issue selling it. They may not (read: likely won't) get what you've put into it at a sale...but it shouldn't be hard to find a home for.

Again...stressing the "Properly done" part. From looking at what parts you have, you should be in good shape there though.

..just my .02

Thanks. Oh, I am trying to go overboard on the properly built because I want to enjoy driving it. But the last car I did was so pretty I was scared to put it on the road sunglasses.gif
Everything is cleaned, replated, anodized and painted. Takes forever.
mepstein
I'm making mine exactly the way I want it. I will let my family sort it out when I'm gone but by then I hope it will be completely used up and worn out from me driving it.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 14 2014, 12:43 PM) *

I'm making mine exactly the way I want it. I will let my family sort it out when I'm gone but by then I hope it will be completely used up and worn out from me driving it.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

agree.gif shades.gif
GulleyGulley
and like deleting your browser history, make sure you have someone reliable to burn all your build receipts when you pass. Living or dead, you never want your spouse to see the real cost
ConeDodger
I wouldn't worry about it...

Paul Sayegh, Eric Shea, and maybe I (those two for sure) have done faithful reproductions minus the size of the motor. Paul's is a 3.6 and Eric has done a very close to faithful GT style conversion. With the GT, there is less need for obsession as I suspect the factory took some evolutionary liberties as the production of these cars went along and with the M kits, who knows how close they came to the factory. With a six conversion that wasn't done by AA blink.gif , you can tell in 10 seconds that it isn't an original six by looking at the VIN plate in the window even if the key has been moved to the left of the steering column on the dash. I'd just drive it and enjoy it...
Maltese Falcon
Converting from a 4 to a six is like the artist apporoaching the blank canvas, do it up any way you want !
99% of the real sixes will retain their value left in their original pedigrees.
Marty
PanelBilly
I say go nuts and make whatever suits your fancy. Let the family list it in the classifieds as a Wornmobile after your gone and may the buyer enjoy it for what it was built to be... Your car

Oh I'm talking about myself. You should keep it totally stock
GeorgeRud
Build it for yourself, that's what Magnus Walker does!

I figure that the money I spend on my projects is still a whole lot less than I'd spend on shrinks, etc. if I didn't have these outlets.
worn
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Apr 14 2014, 01:11 PM) *

Build it for yourself, that's what Magnus Walker does!

I figure that the money I spend on my projects is still a whole lot less than I'd spend on shrinks, etc. if I didn't have these outlets.

Thanks. You all have read my mind. But this is reassuring. Despite the mounting pile of receipts, I still care about my loved ones. Like the TR6, the 911, the 914, and of course my wife and kids. I never figured it would be much value to them, but have a stray thought now and then. Also it is nice to know there isn't apparently a "standard" I must follow.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(worn @ Apr 14 2014, 12:10 PM) *

Thanks. Oh, I am trying to go overboard on the properly built because I want to enjoy driving it. But the last car I did was so pretty I was scared to put it on the road sunglasses.gif
Everything is cleaned, replated, anodized and painted. Takes forever.

Man do I know this feeling. Really want to take my LE to Okteenerfest but I'm scared to death of getting her dirty. So many hours cleaning, fixing, polishing, replating, etc. It's the reason I bought my six; it's a real six but is nowhere near original so I drive it all the time while the LE goes around the neighborhood about once a month & that's it for her.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.