Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there still an interest in Chalon kits ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
AutoAtlanta_Leo
Is there still an interest in Chalon kits ?

IPB Image
Mike Bellis
NO!
76-914
IIRC, Ron aka Slits has been desperately looking for one of these.
r_towle
not enough to buy the molds and start producing them....

Just my opinion.
Elliot Cannon
Some people really like this body style. I am not among them. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
icon8.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 14 2014, 01:36 PM) *

icon8.gif

wacko.gif agree.gif
Ferg
SURE, I think you should convince your boss to borrow mass amounts of $ up front, and just go ahead and make 5,000 kits. sunglasses.gif
Hawker
I think beauty is in the eyes of the owner ! Their are some purest's in the world that are stuck in the mud & don't wish to see any further then the nose on ones face . I wonder how one would see if the cholan style was the 914 factory look & what they say about that ... :shades2:
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Hawker @ Apr 14 2014, 02:14 PM) *

I think beauty is in the eyes of the owner ! Their are some purest's in the world that are stuck in the mud & don't wish to see any further then the nose on ones face . I wonder how one would see if the cholan style was the 914 factory look & what they say about that ... shades.gif

Or, instead of being "stuck in the mud & (not) wish to see any further then (sp) the nose on ones (sp) face" maybe they just don't like it. Looks like someone took a 914 and tried to make a Fiat X-19 out of it. It blows chunks. Has nothing to do with purity, originality, lack of free thinking. It just sucks.

A little advice, and you can ask Pat Garvey about this, there are very - very few purists here. dry.gif
nomore9one4
QUOTE(Ferg @ Apr 14 2014, 01:45 PM) *

SURE, I think you should convince your boss to borrow mass amounts of $ up front, and just go ahead and make 5,000 kits. sunglasses.gif

lol-2.gif

I would be more interested to see the 9014 kit but remoded a bit.
Maltese Falcon
Leo, find Allan Mittleman and I'm sure he will sell you the rights+molds to his Chalon enterprise biggrin.gif

mepstein
Not to mention the way you rape I mean hack, I meant "modify" the car to glue on the kit. sawzall-smiley.gif
wndsnd
barf.gif
Maltese Falcon
Or, instead of being "stuck in the mud & (not) wish to see any further then (sp) the nose on ones (sp) face" maybe they just don't like it. Looks like someone took a 914 and tried to make a Fiat X-19 out of it. It blows chunks. Has nothing to do with purity, originality, lack of free thinking. It just sucks.
A little advice, and you can ask Pat Garvey about this, there are very - very few purists here. dry.gif

Rob, don't beat me up, we still build the X1-9 exhaust header for the spaghetti tuner market welder.gif
Can you spot the X1-9 header in the pic ?
Clue: it's a sidewinder engine.
Marty

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
Marty,
Nothing wrong with an X-19. I just don't see the point in making a 914 out of an X-19 or making a X-19 out of a 914...

Not sure I could pick out the header though. I've competed against an X-19 but never driven or sat in one.

To each his own I guess but there would be a heck of a lot more Chalons if they had been popular in the day... Well, that and the economy can have an effect.
CptTripps
No: The answer to the OP's question.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 14 2014, 04:19 PM) *

I think beauty is in the eyes of the owner ! Their are some purest's in the world that are stuck in the mud & don't wish to see any further then the nose on ones face . I wonder how one would see if the cholan style was the 914 factory look & what they say about that ... shades.gif

Rare is the day that I agree with Andy on anything because I am a "fu..ing idiot", but I do agree with him here......... icon8.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 14 2014, 03:53 PM) *

Rare is the day that I agree with Andy on anything because I am a "fu..ing idiot", but I do agree with him here......... icon8.gif

Pat, that was actually Rob, not Andy.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 14 2014, 03:45 PM) *

Get back to work! You have progress to make and pictures to post!
JRust
I don't hate the Chalon kit. I've seen a few that I though were kick ass. They are very few & far between though. Can't say I'll ever own one but I'm not saying I never will idea.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 14 2014, 04:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 14 2014, 03:53 PM) *

Pat, that was actually Rob, not Andy.

Pat, I have no problem with your wanting your car to be original. I wish I had one that was completely original. My problem is with your occasional feeling that everyone's car should be original. You're not an idiot. You're just obsessed biggrin.gif
Larmo63
Chalon kit = Fugly
Chris Pincetich
I think the orginal post photo proves how a nice set of Fuchs makes ANY Porsche look good. Even that. Sorry, no interest in 80's wana be fast looks for my 914, even though so much of the '80s stuff is now cool again beerchug.gif
Johny Blackstain
I don't care for the Chalon look & think there would be more demand for a complete 916 kit (flares, rockers, bumpers & a roof). Do wonder how a Chalon would look without the ridges on the sail panels & unshaved front fenders though idea.gif
KELTY360
The OP assumes there ever was any real 'interest' in the Chalon kit. Well, except for Slits of course.
speed metal army
Ugly! I have a kit that was cut off a car though.. I bought it for $100 bux to hang on the wall for kicks. It may be too ugly for that! biggrin.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 14 2014, 06:15 PM) *

The OP assumes there ever was any real 'interest' in the Chalon kit. Well, except for Slits of course.

The OP is Leo at AA. My guess is that they are sitting on 5 kits that they want to get rid of, or they have the opportunity to buy 5 kits cheap and want to know if they can make money on them.

I will not join the bashing club, but there are probably a few out there that, had they realized where the original post came from, would have replied "Please, where can I get one?!?!?!" only to inexplicably lose interest shortly after the kits were offered again.
Black22
IMO the one pictured in the first post is the best one I've ever seen! I wouldn't own one, but if I did it would be THAT one. bye1.gif
Eric_Shea

About as much as there is in Automobile Atlanta...
boxsterfan
I don't really like or hate the Chalon kits. They might actually look better if something could be done about those darn sail panels. Heck, find a way to make them functional scoops for air intake. But if I ever own a Chalon car, it won't be from AA.
Hawker
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 14 2014, 03:19 PM) *

READ eyes of the owner not your's ! Because you think they blow chunks , that must be it ! It's a fact opinion's are like A - holes everybody's has one (some) more then one! I truly like both stock is very sweet looking ride and I've seen some modified flared out that are a total head turner ! Never claimed that all were purest's u need to read opinions a bit clearer ... screwy.gif ( shades.gif )
Mike Bellis
The cool part of the chalon is the flares. If you can make it with the stock turn signals intact (no slant nose) and get rid of the sail panel extension... It would look like a 914 with Carrera flares.
Steve
I like the looks of the Chalon, minus the sail panel fins, but I won't own one because I don't like fiberglass on a street car. Rockers and spoilers aside, I have seen too many cracked parts on aging kit cars and Chalons. I also like the looks of the GT or 916 better.
john77
Just my opinion, but it looks like a slant nose had sex with Crocket and Tubbs.

I hate the look of 98% of 80's big bumpered Porsches though and think updating the clean lines of any early car is heresy, so I'm certainly not the target for this.
motorvated
QUOTE(AutoAtlanta_Leo @ Apr 14 2014, 02:48 PM) *

IPB Image

I own one and love the way it looks. It will be a streetable track day car and Vintage Racer once finished. Something a little different and certainly unique. It's a very sturdy kit and I haven't found any rust on the fiberglass body yet! Does anyone know if Chalons we're raced in SCCA Production class back in the day?
carr914

It's a very sturdy kit and I haven't found any rust on the fiberglass body yet!

lol-2.gif
AutoAtlanta_Leo
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 14 2014, 04:05 PM) *

I have access to an original Chalon kit with instructions and vin plate.

Who is interested?

ThePaintedMan

Who is interested?

You guys don't quit, do you?

The consensus here is that Chalon kits don't interest the majority of people. They're even less interesting when sold through AA.

If you want to sell something, please use the Classifieds forum like the rest of us.
KELTY360
QUOTE(AutoAtlanta_Leo @ Apr 15 2014, 05:25 AM) *

You guys seem to do a rousing business in vin plates. Got any for a -6?

stirthepot.gif
AutoAtlanta_Leo
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 15 2014, 05:53 AM) *

QUOTE(AutoAtlanta_Leo @ Apr 15 2014, 05:25 AM) *

You guys seem to do a rousing business in vin plates. Got any for a -6?

stirthepot.gif

Kelty360 we carry the id plate for headlight box, 914-6

b91470110600
AutoAtlanta_Leo
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 15 2014, 05:32 AM) *

Who is interested?

You guys don't quit, do you?

The consensus here is that Chalon kits don't interest the majority of people. They're even less interesting when sold through AA.

If you want to sell something, please use the Classifieds forum like the rest of us.

Thank you for your guidance we really appreciate your opinion and instinctual business acumen.

wes
I wonder if a ugly women gets this much attention!
Dr Evil
Seriously? Are you new? They should have briefed you....
SLITS
QUOTE(AutoAtlanta_Leo @ Apr 15 2014, 06:25 AM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 14 2014, 04:05 PM) *

Who is interested?

I own one ('73 chassis) and it is fitted with a 2.4L MFI T engine. I will pull the drivetrain and sell you the entire roller for $500.00 (with CA non-op paperwork as in LEGAL vin).

otherwise

I will pull the drivetrain and burn the body (if the Fire Dept isn't looking)!
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(AutoAtlanta_Leo @ Apr 15 2014, 10:40 AM) *

Thank you for your guidance we really appreciate your opinion and instinctual business acumen.

No problem. I have plenty more opinions regarding your own business acumen from the one and only time I've dealt with you all. Just remember, I didn't burn your bridges - you guys did that all by yourselves.
76-914
Leo, your probably a good guy and don't deserve all this flak but your boss is about as popular as "a turd in a punch bowl" with this group. And, if your a 914 guy we're here for you. Unfortunately for you, we have members that wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire. It's that bad. Hang in there; we will still be here after you get your fill of it. beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
Pretty sure Leo "is" the boss man... the pseudonym has been bantered around for a while. The GFH III vernacular isn't too difficult to spot. (Hint: look for the passive-aggressive patronizing remarks or see below...) rolleyes.gif

MrKona
I once loved the Chalon kit. But that was 1982. I was 12.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 15 2014, 08:40 PM) *

Pretty sure Leo "is" the boss man... the pseudonym has been bantered around for a while. The GFH III vernacular isn't too difficult to spot. (Hint: look for the passive-aggressive patronizing remarks or see below...) rolleyes.gif

agree.gif Lionel?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.