Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car dying
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sellhammer
We had a perfect weekend here in the PNW and i went for a drive down to Mt. Saint Helens and about 3/4 of the way there i noticed i had no volts coming from my volt gage. I turned the lights on to see if i had enough juice.... and nothing happened. So i pulled over and found an auto parts store. Once i turned the car off, it would not start. I got a jump and the volt meter jumped right to 12. Drove for another 30 min and same thing happened. Got another jump and then just watched as the volts went from 12 to 0 in about 5 min. Had the auto parts store test the battery and found out it was bad so i put a new one in. At the same time i put in a new alternator as this is a new car and i was 2 hours from home and i didn't want to any more suprises. Get it home fine, then went out today and got 10 miles out of her and she died.

This is a Renegade conversion with a v8. What else could it be?
Mike Bellis
If you replaced the battery and alternator, my money is on a bad ground.
ThePaintedMan
And/or voltage regulator. Is the red light coming on signaling that the alternator isn't charging?

Have you put a voltmeter on the battery while the car is running to see if it's getting 12.5 V or more?
r_towle
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 15 2014, 08:53 AM) *

And/or voltage regulator. Is the red light coming on signaling that the alternator isn't charging?

Have you put a voltmeter on the battery while the car is running to see if it's getting 12.5 V or more?

Should see 14.7 volts at the battery when a car is running.

rich
JamesM
relay board. connector/traces under the board where the alt harness plugs in could be separating.

sellhammer
Totally a bad ground. Thank guys. I am a total dumbass for over looking that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.