Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LE/Can Am 40th Anniversary
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Johny Blackstain
Back in April 1974, my Pop went looking to trade in his 71 Capri for a Porsche. He liked this one, I wanted a Bumblebee, however he knew how hot a black car with a black interior would get in the warm Virginia summers. 40 years later I understand & agree with his decision- just like my Dad I don't like air conditioning; can go all winter without getting sick but go in & out of the hot summer into A/C & always get sick as a dog. Decided to drive the LE today & put a whopping 11 miles on her biggrin.gif Knikki now has 47,716 original miles on her. The LE is not as fast/powerful as my six with it's 2.7, but it is solid as a rock. No rattling, squeaking, jiggling or bouncing around of any kind, like my high mileage six dry.gif Not as fast, but plenty strong & peppy, a real head turner & an absolute blast to drive. Need to wash my interior again with bleach & water because I've got a bit of mildew showing up in some places icon8.gif I know, not much to complain about smoke.gif Since the LEs' are turning 40, thought it might be cool to see them now & started this thread for them so if you've got one, post a few pics here smile.gif
Johny Blackstain
A few more-
Johny Blackstain
& a few more-
poorsche914
What a beautiful Creamsicle drooley.gif

Mine will never look that nice but she has come a l-o-o-o-ng way from when I rescued her four years ago.

The 20 years prior to my taking ownership were not kind.

My CS also has the tan interior so your LE is my "model" for when I have questions on what was original.

Day of Rescue:
Click to view attachment

What the blink.gif
Click to view attachment

Original interior dyed black barf.gif
Click to view attachment

Fast forward 2 years... looking better rolleyes.gif
Click to view attachment

Last fall... went in for bodywork and paint... shop closed before finishing dry.gif
Looks "better" than what it did but absolutely ZERO attention to detail. Overspray everywhere, rust left untreated on bottom side of deck lids and other places. In some ways I now have more work than before I gave it up for FOUR months headbang.gif
Click to view attachment

Just realized I don't even have any decent shots of the car "after" paint.
Here is a shot of the interior... back in tan cheer.gif
Click to view attachment

driving.gif
Michael N
Before....

Click to view attachment

During...

Click to view attachment

After....

Click to view attachment

LE gathering.....

Click to view attachment

Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Michael N @ Apr 16 2014, 06:44 PM) *

Bumblicious! thumb3d.gif
poorsche914
Posted some photos in my original post.

Here is a shot with a "black eye".
Coming home from the paint shop and they forgot to screw down the headlight cover. Cruising along and all of a sudden I saw something go flipping up over the car. Went back to retrieve a slightly beat up cover dry.gif
The black cover is from a Bumble Bee I owned way back in '80s - ended up parting it out due to rotted suspension.
Click to view attachment

driving.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Apr 16 2014, 09:43 PM) *

Posted some photos in my original post.

Here is a shot with a "black eye".
Coming home from the paint shop and they forgot to screw down the headlight cover. Cruising along and all of a sudden I saw something go flipping up over the car. Went back to retrieve a slightly beat up cover dry.gif
The black cover is from a Bumble Bee I owned way back in '80s - ended up parting it out due to rotted suspension.
driving.gif

You've come a long way Steve- keep on going & she'll get there aktion035.gif Even though you lost an eyelid, it's kinda cool that the replacement is from a Bumblebee smile.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Apr 16 2014, 10:04 PM) *
... it's kinda cool that the replacement is from a Bumblebee smile.gif

I totally agree. I had a choice of red, yellow, and primer. I didn't even consider them happy11.gif

driving.gif
Johny Blackstain
drying after washing
Johny Blackstain
drying after washing 2
Johny Blackstain
drying after washing 3
PanelBilly
Well, this one isn't mine anymore, but it looks this way because of my work.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Michael N
Adding two more with it's garage mate. This is from Werks Reunion this year.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.