Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Surface rust in the tunnel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vw505
What is the best way to clean up rust in the tunnel? I think in the past the brake line leaked and now there is a lot of surface rust in there.
CptTripps
QUOTE(vw505 @ Apr 17 2014, 10:56 AM) *

What is the best way to clean up rust in the tunnel? I think in the past the brake line leaked and now there is a lot of surface rust in there.

If it truly is surface rust, scrape off what you can and use something like the Eastwood spray kit to seal it up. Without cutting the tunnel apart, you won't be able to get anything in there to scrape much of it away.
hndyhrr

I scraped as much as i could and then used the vacuum cleaner with very small attachment to get 95 percent of it, then spread rust killer with paint brush attached to coat hanger to get in there. pita but it worked.
vw505
I knew tis was going to suck.
Socalandy
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 17 2014, 08:21 AM) *

QUOTE(vw505 @ Apr 17 2014, 10:56 AM) *

If it truly is surface rust, scrape off what you can and use something like the Eastwood spray kit to seal it up. Without cutting the tunnel apart, you won't be able to get anything in there to scrape much of it away.

agree.gif Just know that it flows freely threw seams so prep is key if you want to keep it contained to the tunnel
jacksun
later
malcolm2
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Apr 17 2014, 10:53 AM) *

agree.gif Just know that it flows freely threw seams so prep is key if you want to keep it contained to the tunnel

2nd agree.gif

I am still finding that green paint on stuff. My windshield, the door windows, under the dash, everywhere. And it is good to know that once dried, it will not come off very easily. I have been using a razor blade on the glass when I find it. Even that takes a few tries.

The hose nozzle has 4 holes in it, 12, 3, 6 & 9 o'clock, so be prepared and cover up. Can't say how good it works, at least my rust did not eat thru after 12 months.... so far so good. Keep your eye on Eastman.com, they have sales quite often.
McMark
Put carpet over it and don't think about it. biggrin.gif
vw505
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 17 2014, 10:44 AM) *

Put carpet over it and don't think about it. biggrin.gif

I can't, I know its there.
bembry
QUOTE(vw505 @ Apr 17 2014, 08:35 AM) *

I knew tis was going to suck.

Post of the year! piratenanner.gif

I'm 100% with you on this---I just saw the inside of my tunnel, and was thinking the same thing. agree.gif
saigon71
This is what I did to clean areas like this:

1. Took an extension magnet and ran it through every opening to pull out any loose scale.

2. Jammed a wooden wire brush into a piece of copper pipe (pipe serves as an extension) and methodically worked the brush into as many areas as I could get.

3. Blast out with compressed air.

4. Repeat until you don't get any loose scale out of the area.

5. Tape all the openings of the tunnel closed except for one in the middle.

I finished it off with two coats of Eastwoods Internal Frame Coating. I can't vouch for the product yet, but the extension wand works nicely to spread product in areas like this.

Above all, yes...it does suck. Good luck!
reharvey
QUOTE(hndyhrr @ Apr 17 2014, 11:28 AM) *

I scraped as much as i could and then used the vacuum cleaner with very small attachment to get 95 percent of it, then spread rust killer with paint brush attached to coat hanger to get in there. pita but it worked.

agree.gif Done the same thing many times and it always worked out. Ray
vw505
Just found that the brake line that was replaced is leaking. Guess that's were the rust came from.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.