Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing A Ball Joint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
I'm changing a ball joint on my 914 and can't figure out how to remove the nut with the 4 notches. Do I need a special tool to do this? How about a big pipe wrench or channel lock?
I used liquid wrench on it for a couple of days now. How to remove this sucker? The Star lock piece has been removed.

Thanks,
Spoke
Series9
There's a special tool that costs about $40.

The following constitutes chopstick advice:

I have removed them several times with an air hammer stuck in one of the notches pointing in the counter clockwise direction.
jim912928
I bought the tool...took the arms to a friends with an impact wrench and zzt zzt they were off. I first tried with that tool and a breaker bar...no dice.
Kerrys914
Pipe Wrench IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Works great
Dr Evil
I bought that tool from Pelican and it stripped on the first try. The metal was a type that was weaker than the nut. Kinda dumb.

I ended up using a pipe wrench and it worked great. Replace the nuts ($14 ea) and use anti-sieze on the threads. You'll thank yourself later.

If it wont budge with a wrench you can try a drift and hammer in one of the grooves, or cutting with a dremel (I had to do this on one, not fun at all). Its like splitting any other nut.
Spoke
The pipe wrench worked! IPB Image I used the top half of my floor jack's pump arm as an extension. Also used liquid wrench and some heat from a propane torch to finally loosen the nut.

Thanks for the help!

Spoke
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.