Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Great container for shipping trannies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
No... not transvestites... TRANSMISSIONS...

Costco has these ToughBoxes for $8.99 each. They are 27 gallon size and fit a 901 transmission perfect.

Note: Walmart has them too, but they are about $12 to $13 each (if I recall).

When I shipped my transmission to Dr. Evil, I actually bought TWO of them and double stacked them.

Lined the bottom with layers of cardboard. Placed the tranny on top and then filled in the gaps with more folded cardboard to minimize shifting.

Snapped on both lids. THere are already some holes around the long sides. I drilled some extra holes around the short sides through the lips on the bottom and zip tied the boxes and lids closed.

Nice and durable and cradles the tranny pretty nicely!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
bulitt
Think hose clamps through the holes would work also. Nice Find!!!
Qarl
Saw these at Walmart too! But they are about $12 to $13 each I think.
rick 918-S
Nice! I built a crate to ship one. It was a PITA!
Cap'n Krusty
When I was still in the biz, the ZF guy in San Francisco used similar containers, right down to the zip ties. No spill, so he could fill the trannies, and the truck lines loved 'em 'cause they were easy to handle. 9 bucks is a steal!

The Cap'n
Spoke
You could also hose clamp the rear trans mounting slots to the sides to keep the trans from sliding around inside the box.
rhodyguy
Perfect timing. Thanks piratenanner.gif .
Dr Evil
All of the suggestions for more stuff past what Qarl posted is really not necessary. I have been shipping like this for years and not one incident. Every time someone strays from my instructions, bad shit happens. Usually, container breaks and/or shift console and tail cone break. The latest derivation someone did was to build a crate. A real nice one...that I can not lift and maneuver by myself, and that is bigger than the container pictured. I have to disassemble the crate to get to the transmission. dry.gif Getting it into the car and then to the shipping depot (now one that does freight, 45min away rather than my local place) is going to require I get help.

The Rubbermade container is cheap, durable, light, contains spillage. Love them.
Sfreeman615
That's exactly what I shipped my two to Dr. Evil! They work perfect and were $90 to ship each one! Highly recommended! I also have all my parts from my car in those
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.