Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I think I am the first
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914-d
Ok, here goes.
I have been a member here since last June. Have always loved 914's since they first came out, but do you realize how much money 3500 bucks was back then...
Well, after many (and I do mean many) cars in my life, I have come close to full circle and have my first 914.
Now here is where things get different. I am doing a swap...an engine swap. I know that is kind of rare in the 914 community (TIC) but I am doing things a little (lot) different.
My friends are aware of what I am doing, and some of them don't agree. I am on another forum and have a lot of support. I have done several swaps on other platforms, and consider my self a bit of a purist and feel ther should be some congruity in the project.
I have a bit of an issue, with american v8 conversions... but to each his own.
Subie, I can see it, after all, where did they get their design/ concept from.
Wankel....ok it is a german design....but.
Audi motor trans I can get behind. (found a 914 for sale with an audi auto trans for sale...not for me).
I have always considered the 914 as much or more a VW than a Porsche. Depending on your particular bend, I guess you can go either way.
As I stated I am a bit of a purist.
I will be using the entire drivetrain from a 1999 new beatle...TDI...in the rear, and transverse.
I will be keeping it all German, All VAG. sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

I haven't found anyone else with a diesel 914, maybe this will be a first
914-300Hemi
welcome.png
It would be a interesting build. Good luck.
Mike Bellis
I look forward to the build. I like Audi conversions.

Why not use a Passat TDI? The longitudinal transaxle is a great fit.
914-d
the Beatle tdi is transverse. I have a Passat tdi in my mk1 vw pickup....
Amazing performance and milage
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(914-d @ Apr 20 2014, 09:00 PM) *

I know the beetle is transverse. This type of setup will put the weight too far back in the chassis and effect the handling. This unbalances a perfectly balanced chassis.

So why not have the best of both? TDI and a longitudinal engine?

You must have a Beetle parts car already? If the bolt pattern is the same (not sure) use the Beetle engine with a Passat transmission.
VaccaRabite
So you are taking a mid-engine car and making it a rear engine car? Did I read that right?

There have been a few VW/Audi conversions, and they have all kept the mid engine configuration. There is a screaming fast 1.8T in the area. The turbo, etc takes up the rear trunk, but the engine weight is still in the middle.

Unless I am mistaking you, and you are going to keep it mid engine, I'd do a bit more planning before you buy or cut anyhting.

Zach
KELTY360
How does a purist put a water cooled engine in an air cooled car? confused24.gif
stugray
Why not use a Passat TDI? The longitudinal transaxle is a great fit.

I have a passat TDI and a 914.

So if you need some measurements or pictures, I'm in
Dave_Darling
No Nomex required--but it will be a lot easier, and require less chopping of the car, if you mount the engine longitudinally. If you go with the transverse mount, you stand a good chance of having to cut out much of the rear trunk to make room for the engine. That will also shift the weight of the car rear-ward, making for a less-optimal weight distribution and working against one of the car's inherent good traits.

If you go longitudinal, you might be able to use the 914's transaxle, which will make life much simpler in that area. Or you can use the Passat transaxle, which is FWD longitudinal. Either will put the engine back into the engine bay, where there is more room, and will move the weight forward to the middle of the car, which is where it belongs. And is one of the base car's strong points.

Not chopping up the rear trunk is also good because a radiator will chop up the front trunk, and you will lose lots of the storage space up front no matter what. If you lose some or all of the rear storage, then you're left with basically none..

I've thought several times over the years that a TDI would be a neat powerplant for a 914. It's best if coupled with gearing meant for it, because TDIs love tall gearing. But you can get torque levels anywhere from decent to completely obscene from those motors, and if you are light on the loud pedal you can get really good fuel economy from them. You could probably go 800 miles on a tank if you worked at it--or maybe more!!

--DD
914-d
Yes I have the 914 and the complete Beatle tdi. I had considered using the audi trans and go longitudnal, but finding the trans in diesel gears that wasn't and auto is tuff.
As far as the weight distribution of the car, yes I expect it to have a slight bit more bias to the rear than a stock 914, but this will still be mid engine. the entire engine will be in front of the rear axel center line.
2mAn
Im all for watercooled VW motors in these cars. That was my original plan, but I would look at using the stock 901 transmission with a KEP adapter plate. The gearing should be good for the TDI. I wont be as nice as a cable shift setup, but it would be easier than trying to find a manual passat/ audi trans with the right ratios. Thats also a lot of noise right behind your head lol. You should talk to Mike Bellis. He isnt far from you and did a very similar swap though he wanted power not mpg (He is using a 1.8t)
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 20 2014, 08:17 PM) *

QUOTE(914-d @ Apr 20 2014, 09:00 PM) *

I know the beetle is transverse. This type of setup will put the weight too far back in the chassis and effect the handling. This unbalances a perfectly balanced chassis.

So why not have the best of both? TDI and a longitudinal engine?

You must have a Beetle parts car already? If the bolt pattern is the same (not sure) use the Beetle engine with a Passat transmission.

True Mike,

But it makes wheelies a lot easier...

This will be an interesting build...
914-d
""You should talk to Mike Bellis. He isnt far from you and did a very similar swap though he wanted power not mpg (He is using a 1.8t)""

Is that his screen name, or how do I contact him.

One of the great things about using the tdi, is you can have the power, and the milage. This motor will run up to 200 hp and 300 tq, and return great milage.

I think you guys are over estimating how much the balance will change by going transverse. Remember, the bulk of the 901 is behind the axel. I dont know for a fact, but i am betting the tdi motor with cast iron block weighs in more that the 1.7 motor.. The only part of this setup that will be behind the axel center line will be half of the differential. all else will be forward of the axel. Also if necessary, the fuel tank will be moved forward in the tire well (fuel cell), bur radiator will most likely live in the rear.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(914-d @ Apr 21 2014, 08:48 AM) *

""You should talk to Mike Bellis. He isnt far from you and did a very similar swap though he wanted power not mpg (He is using a 1.8t)""

One of the great things about using the tdi, is you can have the power, and the milage. This motor will run up to 200 hp and 300 tq, and return great milage.

Mike just commented in your thread. He's the one who says, and I agree, your plan moves your CG too far rearward. Yes, it is his screen name. While I have known him, he has had several different engines in his 914. Currently an Audi...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(914-d @ Apr 21 2014, 08:48 AM) *

Mike just commented in your thread. He's the one who says, and I agree, your plan moves your CG too far rearward. Yes, it is his screen name. While I have known him, he has had several different engines in his 914. Currently an Audi...
914-d
I edited one of my earlier posts, should have made a new post.
I think everybody is over estimating how much the bias is going to change.
In a (stock) 914, much of the trans is behind the axel. The tdi motor is most likely heavier than the 914, and will be forward of the axel, as well as the bulk of the trans,cooling and condenser. Bias has been a concern on this from the start.
I have no plans to track this car, so the perfect setup is not what i am after.
If you consider (as I have read) that the bias on a 914 is 49 front 51 rear, verses a 911 at 40 front and 60 rear, it can change considerably, and still be in Porsche territory.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(914-d @ Apr 21 2014, 09:28 AM) *

Yes I have the 914 and the complete Beatle tdi. I had considered using the audi trans and go longitudnal, but finding the trans in diesel gears that wasn't and auto is tuff.
As far as the weight distribution of the car, yes I expect it to have a slight bit more bias to the rear than a stock 914, but this will still be mid engine. the entire engine will be in front of the rear axel center line.

Look here for a tranny.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=audi+1.9+tdi+gearbox

TNT will ship air freight from UK to SF for $245. I had my 6 speed in 3 days after they picked it up. The seller only had to strap it to a pallet. TDI trannys are cheap in the UK. You could be all in for under $500 with the gearing you need. These are also geared well for a V8 conversion. I found a Cayman 6 speed cheap in the UL and flew it here. The tranny bolted right up to my Audi 1.8T
garrettlee1
Orchideuro.com imports watercooled vw stuff from the UK. If you contact him I'm sure he can get all you need.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.