Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: rear bumper brackets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Oxen914
I need a set of rear bumper impact absorbers 914.505.115.11 Left & 914.505.116.11 right side. I have a fiberglass rear bumper with brackets attached to the bumper, but there is nothing on the under side of the car to attach them to (I can see the wholes where the bolts will go in, but no impact brackets).

Thanks~
GaroldShaffer
is your car a 75 /76?
Oxen914
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Apr 21 2014, 09:58 AM) *

is your car a 75 /76?

Yes it is, the fiberglass bumper has two vertical brackets on it with two holes that would bolt it to the car.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Oxen914 @ Apr 21 2014, 08:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Apr 21 2014, 09:58 AM) *

is your car a 75 /76?

Yes it is, the fiberglass bumper has two vertical brackets on it with two holes that would bolt it to the car.

I think the FS bumpers are meant for the earlier cars. Not sure the shock absorbers will mount them up correctly. Check for threads on back dating bumpers. Do you have a picture of the bumper?
tomrev
I have the front and rear mounts you seek; let me know if you want them. Tom
Qarl
As others have stated, the rear fiberglass bumpers are meant for the earlier 914s (1970-1974).

You can "backdate" the bumpers by removing the mounting shocks, and drilling the 2 holes on each side that the fiberglass mounts are attached to.

You may need the rubber "dogbone" that the metal bumpers have as a cushion between the chassis and the bumper, or you may not need them, depending on how long the fiberglass brackets are.

But, there are no fiberglass adapters that will allow you to mount the fiberglass bumper to the 1975-1976 bumper shocks.

Oxen914
QUOTE(Qarl @ Apr 21 2014, 01:49 PM) *

As others have stated, the rear fiberglass bumpers are meant for the earlier 914s (1970-1974).

You can "backdate" the bumpers by removing the mounting shocks, and drilling the 2 holes on each side that the fiberglass mounts are attached to.

You may need the rubber "dogbone" that the metal bumpers have as a cushion between the chassis and the bumper, or you may not need them, depending on how long the fiberglass brackets are.

But, there are no fiberglass adapters that will allow you to mount the fiberglass bumper to the 1975-1976 bumper shocks.

Thanks for the information, I found the link for mounting these bumpers onto my '75.
Qarl
QUOTE(Oxen914 @ Apr 21 2014, 03:30 PM) *

Thanks for the information, I found the link for mounting these bumpers onto my '75.

Can you please share it so others know what you are talking about?
Oxen914
QUOTE(Qarl @ Apr 21 2014, 04:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Oxen914 @ Apr 21 2014, 03:30 PM) *

Can you please share it so others know what you are talking about?

Sure, and thanks to bigkensteele for the background, work and posting it.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...umper++backdate
Qarl
Yes that is the standard backdating procedure I was referring to.

You made it seem you were looking for a way to attach the fiberglass bumper to the existing impact mounts (ie., impact shocks) from the 1975-1976 setup... I didn't think such a thing existed.

Normally the fiberglass brackets have 2 holes and a threaded clip or insert. You drill 2 holes on each side and then attach via a long hex bolt into the mounting brackets.

That's what the link confirms.

Glad you found what you needed.
Oxen914
QUOTE(Qarl @ Apr 21 2014, 06:45 PM) *

Yes that is the standard backdating procedure I was referring to.

You made it seem you were looking for a way to attach the fiberglass bumper to the existing impact mounts (ie., impact shocks) from the 1975-1976 setup... I didn't think such a thing existed.

Normally the fiberglass brackets have 2 holes and a threaded clip or insert. You drill 2 holes on each side and then attach via a long hex bolt into the mounting brackets.

That's what the link confirms.

Glad you found what you needed.

I did think that's what I needed to do, I crawled under the car and found the holes for the impact mounts. I am new to the 914 world, I've only had the car for a little over 1 week so this is an ever expanding learning process.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.