Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door handle flaps?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
PorscheNut924
I have the ability to possibly manufacture some replacement door handle flaps out of steel. Would there be much interest in these at around $30-$40 each? Price would include shipping.

If I get enough people committed to buying them I could get a batch going. Of course I will have a prototype made and post some pictures first.

UPDATE: I sold my car a while back and never continued with this project. If I ever get another 914, perhaps I'll come back to it.
URY914
Would you be able to chrome plate them?

For $30-40 I think people will buy them. Hell I'll take 5 for future handle repairs.

Tell us more. Will you machine these or cast them?
PorscheNut924
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 21 2014, 07:23 PM) *

Would you be able to chrome plate them?

For $30-40 I think people will buy them. Hell I'll take 5 for future handle repairs.

Tell us more. Will you machine these or cast them?

They would be cut in three pieces out of steel by a laser CNC, and then the prongs would be welded on. I was thinking of either making it out of stainless steel and polishing that, or getting chrome paint, since I don't have direct access to the equipment to do actual chrome plating. I'll have to see how the color compares to the original.
URY914
You may want to try zink plating too. Or powder coating them black.

There seems to be an underwelming response to this thread. Too bad. We need something like this.

Come on people speak up.
ThePaintedMan
They should have been made out of steel in the first place. I'd buy a pair for the eventuality that mine will break. Sooner or later we're going to run out of them and believe it or not, Paul can't fix every pair. biggrin.gif

I say go for it! You might try posting this in the garage, where it will surely get more feedback. You might even be able to find someone who has access to or can point you to a place to get them chromed.
PorscheNut924
Thanks guys.

I'll get the first one made and investigate various finishing options. I'm hoping polished stainless steel will be a close enough match, but we'll see.

Might take a week but I'll get pictures posted as soon as it's done.
URY914
QUOTE(PorscheNut924 @ Apr 24 2014, 10:41 AM) *

Thanks guys.

I'll get the first one made and investigate various finishing options. I'm hoping polished stainless steel will be a close enough match, but we'll see.

Might take a week but I'll get pictures posted as soon as it's done.

If you'd like I'd be glad to evaluate it after you've completed it. I have been repairing them for about memebrs here for the last 10 years so I've seen a few in my day. I can also install it on a few handle bodies and see how it performs.

What about the left/right problem? Would you just make one standard and then trim it to fit both l/r doors?
rmdinmd
might be interested but would like to see one first. suspect there are others who feel the same. chrome would be real nice but powder coated black or silver could also work. IMHO
Qarl
Yes, left versus right.

Alignment and perfect fit will be key to a successful product.

PorscheNut924
We are modeling it in SolidWorks, and from there we have the ability to send the model straight to the laser CNC, allowing for a high degree of precision. It would be simple to mirrorize the model and cut out one side or the other.
URY914
If that is the case we need to talk about making a replacement piece out of one piece of aluminum to replace the mounting tabs that break off.

I've been making these by hand out of two seperate pieces of aluminum angles.
PorscheNut924
That might be possible, but to start with I'll try making it out of three pieces of steel and welding on the mounting tabs. Sounds simpler to me. I'll get more feedback from the metal guys after the first prototype is made.
kid914
interested for sure piratenanner.gif
Mueller
What happened with these?

Still in prototype stage?
rjames
Interested!
PorscheNut924
Sorry guys, I had to sell my car and never continued with the project.
Mueller
Mind if I take a stab at these?...unless someone else is making them....I need to fund my '73 somehow!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.