Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 FI on a 2.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
euler21
Hi all,

I'm searching for my first 914 since I had a few in college, about ten years ago. My question is pretty self-explanatory. Will a 2.0 L engine run properly with a stock 1.8 L-jet fuel injection set-up? I feel like it wouldn't. The injectors would need to be changed out at the very least, right? Anyway, I wanted to ask the brain trust before I made any decisions. Thanks in advance.

Alan
Dave_Darling
We have had people who did that swap, and it seemed to work pretty well. I don't remember if the flange at the head ends of the 1.8 intake runner pipes were drilled for the three-stud pattern of the 2.0 head, or if the 2.0 intake runner pipes were used with longer hoses between the manifold and the pipes, but some fiddling was done there.

I remember one owner who reported no detectable problems. I advised him, and would advise you, to get access to a wide-band O2 sensor to make sure that the mixture doesn't go lean at WOT and/or high RPM. That could wind up being Very Bad News Indeed.

--DD
brenz
Here's the link to the member's post that Dave might be referring.

The L-jet conversion starts at page 6, post 117.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=drilled
stugray
How about purchasing a complete 2.0L setup with ECU, harness, injectors, MPS, and fuel pump?
914work
Quick answer : Yes it will work
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(brenz @ Apr 21 2014, 09:37 AM) *

Linkee no workee. You need to do a "copy link location" instead of just copying the text of the link. It gets automatically shortened by the BBS software if too long--the link itself still works, but the part that gets shown on the screen in the BBS post is missing a bunch of stuff.

--DD
mepstein
Rabbit CIS - looks awesome!
type47
why can't you use all the 2L d-jet intake runners, intake air distributor, throttle body etc and just adapt/connect the AFM to the throttle body and use necessary L-Jet parts? I have a CIS project going and used the idea of connecting parts from that and connected an AFM to the 2L throttle body ($10 in plumbing parts from HD). will post a pic tomorrow after work
ClayPerrine
From Experience.... YES. IT WILL WORK FINE!

Use all of the L-Jet parts but the intake runners. Use the 2.0 runners. If you feel you need to, use some longer hoses. Radiator hoses work fine. Don't worry about the mixture, the air flow meter will add enough fuel to compensate for the difference in displacement. You will lose some horsepower over the 2.0 injection system, due to the smaller throttle body.

I have done this repeatedly when switching between the 1.8L engine that came in my wife's 914, and the spare 2.0 that I keep in the garage. Last time it was done and driven all the way from Fort Worth Texas to Salt Lake City for Parade 2012, run at the Parade AX, and driven all the way back.

As for running the 2.0 hardware, you would need a 912E throttle body, as the throttle switches are different between the L-Jet and the D-Jet. You would also need the 912E intake hose to connect the throttle body to the air flow meter.

type47
so I'd say the 2.0 L-Jet throttle body is the money part; didn't think about the switches. I could use hardware store parts instead of a special 912E rubber hose between the AFM and the throttle body
Click to view attachment
idea from my CIS project
Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 22 2014, 05:00 PM) *

so I'd say the 2.0 L-Jet throttle body is the money part; didn't think about the switches. I could use hardware store parts instead of a special 912E rubber hose between the AFM and the throttle body
Click to view attachment
idea from my CIS project
Click to view attachment

Your going to need the L-Jet oil filler, and you have to plug the head vents for the L-Jet system. Otherwise it will run badly due to false air.

IIRC, you need to have the L-Jet style crankcase ventilation system for the CIS too.
type47
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 22 2014, 02:21 PM) *

...you need to have the L-Jet style crankcase ventilation system for the CIS ...

can you school me on this, it's something in my project I haven't planned for/know nothing about. Why/where/how, etc... TIA

edit: just checked my L-Jet system and the only thing I see in terms of a crankcase vent is a hose from the oil filler to the hose between the throttle body and AFM. On D-Jet, head vents connect to air cleaner housing. How can either be a source to fool CIS? Just asking 'cause I need to know about it if it's going to cause a difficulty
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 22 2014, 05:43 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 22 2014, 02:21 PM) *

...you need to have the L-Jet style crankcase ventilation system for the CIS ...

can you school me on this, it's something in my project I haven't planned for/know nothing about. Why/where/how, etc... TIA

edit: just checked my L-Jet system and the only thing I see in terms of a crankcase vent is a hose from the oil filler to the hose between the throttle body and AFM. On D-Jet, head vents connect to air cleaner housing. How can either be a source to fool CIS? Just asking 'cause I need to know about it if it's going to cause a difficulty

That is all the L-Jet system uses. But it is sensitive to leaks. If you leave the original D-Jet crankcase vent in place, the engine will run lean.

Make sure you have the head vents plugged and the L-Jet oil filler cap seals in place.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.