Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: trunk seam sealer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eyesright
The white one is my '76, the orange is my '70. I think Ferry might have hired all his 12 YO nephews for summer help at Karmann in the first year of production.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
When I first bought the '70 project I was thinking that some DAPO had replaced the seam sealer under two really bad repaints, but since then I've seen photos of early trunks that look as bad. Wow. Looks like they used a shovel to smear the stuff on. They sure improved over the years.
boogie_man
The orange one has clearly been "tampered" with, also looks like the rear floor has been touched. Dig out that schutz gun and get some worth and practice on cardboard for correct pattern. Good luck !!

Scott
Qarl
Can someone post pics of the seam sealer in the cockpit floors, rear firewall, and front trunk as well?

IanJ
Orange one has been done to the same level of "finish" as my 70.
I thought mine was a dodgy PO too until I saw quite a few other pics.
1970 Neun vierzehn
1970/4.....original and unrestored/repainted (prior to being "freshened"); front & rear compartments.......
scotty b
QUOTE(boogie_man @ Apr 21 2014, 02:41 PM) *

The orange one has clearly been "tampered" with, also looks like the rear floor has been touched. Dig out that schutz gun and get some worth and practice on cardboard for correct pattern. Good luck !!

Scott

WRONG ! The very early cars and 6's I have seen were brushed rather than sprayed. That IS factory shades.gif
toolguy
My April Production Six has tons of it and it looks like it was slapped on with a big paint brush. . about 1/2 inch thick over the plug holes. .
puffinator
QUOTE(toolguy @ Apr 21 2014, 10:25 PM) *

My April Production Six has tons of it and it looks like it was slapped on with a big paint brush. . about 1/2 inch thick over the plug holes. .

My ’70 -6 looks like the orange one as well.
Chris H.
They must've done the seam sealer after lunch wink.gif beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.