Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got a new 4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michael7810
What have I done? My wife wants to go to Bryce in September but won't ride in my 914 for a number of reasons; no AC, no airbags, smells like gas, it's too loud, etc. Many of the things I like about my 914. So I drove this '87 944 turbo and I was hooked. It's been very well maintained and a blast to drive. I may regret it when I have to work on it, but for now I'm happy. Although the 914 is a little pissed about having to go live in my daughter's carport (she lives across the street) because the 944 is in the garage.

Click to view attachment
Qarl
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Apr 21 2014, 10:20 PM) *

What have I done? My wife wants to go to Bryce in September but won't ride in my 914 for a number of reasons; no AC, no airbags, smells like gas, it's too loud, etc. Many of the things I like about my 914. So I drove this '87 944 turbo and I was hooked. It's been very well maintained and a blast to drive. I may regret it when I have to work on it, but for now I'm happy. Although the 914 is a little pissed about having to go live in my daughter's carport (she lives across the street) because the 944 is in the garage.

Click to view attachment

Nice looking car! smile.gif

piratenanner.gif
Johny Blackstain
Pretty car thumb3d.gif
Now put it on the carport & put the teener back where it belongs laugh.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Better tap the bank account and have the timing belt and water pump (with ALL the seals and sleeves) done. Or buy the tension tool from me and do it yourownself. The REAL interval is 40K miles.

The Cap'n
michael7810
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 21 2014, 08:06 PM) *

Better tap the bank account and have the timing belt and water pump (with ALL the seals and sleeves) done. Or buy the tension tool from me and do it yourownself. The REAL interval is 40K miles.

The Cap'n

Currently has 25K on water pump and front seals and 13K on timing belt, balance shaft belt and tensioner. I'll keep you in mind when I need the tension tool. The PO did not cut corners on maintenance and gave me the records for the last 55K miles. Do these engines have rod bearing issues? They were replaced at 79K.
Thanks
PanelBilly
Don't feel guilty for needing a car with human comforts. There's a time and place for a 914 especially when your wife is riding in it
Andyrew
944 turbo is just a fantastic car to drive and own.
brant
Cool car. I drove a few laps in an 89 chipped S that I helped build/cage/add coil overs/big sways/bearing arms and safety gear. Couldn't believe how strong and nimble it was. One fast lap. Embarrassed my race car and 2nd best time of the day

I'm a fan.
bulitt
QUOTE(brant @ Apr 22 2014, 01:06 AM) *

Cool car. I drove a few laps in an 89 chipped S that I helped build/cage/add coil overs/big sways/bearing arms and safety gear. Couldn't believe how strong and nimble it was. One fast lap. Embarrassed my race car and 2nd best time of the day

I'm a fan.

agree.gif Quite a few 911's been embarrassed by these cars.
jim_hoyland
Nice ride, looks good in white smile.gifi
DRPHIL914
very nice car!!! its the same reason i bought my 2000 S 914, er, i mean boxster - for some DD creature comforts in 100 degree summer weather. i came very close to owning a 944, wanted one since i was in college in the '80's . and every car has its issues - but finding a nicely maintained car from a p.o. that took care of it is the key.
i bought the box knowing the full history and mainainence. now i have a competent mechanic here at an independant shop, when i do the scheduled mainatainence this year and do the plugs etc, i will also pull the transmission and do the clutch , while i am there we will do a IMS upgrade to the ceramic bearing, other than that issue these car are fairly easy to maintain. I think you will enjoy that car!!!!
-
beerchug.gif enjoy!!
MoveQik
Looks beautiful Mike! Perhaps another lake run is in order just to shake it down. :-)
Kirmizi
Wow, nice car Mike! beerchug.gif
The teener's gonna feel like real go-kart when you drive it now.
OU8AVW
Just sold mine. White with red interior. Is your red inside..... blink.gif
michael7810
Yep, red (burgundy) inside.
Mike - I'm ready for another lake drive when you are. Problem with this time of the year is there are too many boaters on the road.
wndsnd
One of the nicest driving Porsches ever built and it looks like you got a real nice one.

Congrats.

John

BTW: for the recent 7 hour trip to Hershey I bought earplugs. I have a stock exhaust but after awhile the noise and smell was giving me headaches.

John
speed metal army
Nice! I wish I had found a white one. beerchug.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Apr 22 2014, 09:46 PM) *

One of the nicest driving Porsches ever built and it looks like you got a real nice one.

Congrats.

John

BTW: for the recent 7 hour trip to Hershey I bought earplugs. I have a stock exhaust but after awhile the noise and smell was giving me headaches.

John

Can't help you with the noise, but we should take a look at the smell issue.
For noise, I use earplugs so the trucks stop bothering me.

What are you smelling and is it FI or carbs?

Rich
zymurgist
Nice ride.
worn
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Apr 21 2014, 06:20 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Great purchase. The one I know holds its own quite well in autocrosses. Certainly faster than I am. And you can hear the radio?! Sweet.
wndsnd
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 23 2014, 08:40 AM) *

Congrats.

John

John

Rich

Carbs. Smell is just a drip on exchanger.
Moneypit
I do miss my 951, but damn did I get a lemon! Car had been rear-ended at some point, rear ended someone else, the turbo was about ready to go, and she blew a head gasket out. Twice. Of course I didn't do my research first, so I got what was coming to me I guess. But damn that car corrupted me! I used to drive the 914 like my mom, very gingerly and always knowing that I didn't have much power in the back to make attempts to jump out into traffic. But the 951? Power corrupts. Once the turbo picked up, it was like hittin ludicrous speed!

Have fun with her!
r_towle
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Apr 23 2014, 11:20 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 23 2014, 08:40 AM) *

Congrats.

John

John

Rich

Carbs. Smell is just a drip on exchanger.

Oil catches on fire easier than fuel.

Typically on something as new as your car, its most likely either a push rod tube seal that got torn during install, or a valve cover gasket that is not on quite straight and perfect.

Both are simple to fix, both have slight tricks to make right.

I have a lift if you want to walk underneath on Saturday.

rich
wes
I've had 2 none turbo an 83 and 85.5 and miss em much, such great all around cars. Enjoy!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.