Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do Type I oil pumps work correctly in Type IV's ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
For Form, Fit and Function, are these interchangeable?

Thanks
ThinAir
I checked www.busdepot.com and did a key word search for "oil pump".

It shows this in the results:
Oil Pump, 72-83 Bus/Vanagon, Melling $69.95 021 115 107AK
HD Oil Pump, 26mm Gears, 70-71 Beetle/Bus/Ghia/T3 $24.95 111 115 107AH
Oil Pump, 70-71 Beetle/Bus/Ghia/T3 $15.95 111 115 107AK
Oil Pump, Heavy Duty (72-79 Beetle, 72-74Ghia/T3, 83-91 Vanagon) $24.95 111 115 107BH
Oil Pump (72-79 Beetle, 72-74Ghia/T3, 83-91 Vanagon) $14.95 111 115 107BK

I don't know the significance of the 021 vs 111 for the 1st three numbers, but I would think that since they handle both Type 1 & Type 4 style bus stuff that if they were interchangeable it would show up on their list. I didn't do an exhaustive search of other listings, but I don't think they are interchangeable.
McMark
It has been discussed on the ShopTalkForums, as far as I remember, you have to modify the cover plate, but it works. A recommended upgrade by Jake Raby.
swood
I just picked up a 30mm T1 oil pump from Aircooled.net with a flat steel cover for 37.00. Looks like a winner to me. It does need a little machining, nothing major to fit in the cam gear. Instructions come with 'em. Should be a good upgrade from stock.
Mark Henry
Mike, here's how ya do it!

http://home.att.net/~airdoc/T1oilpumpmod.html

Also check out this guy's (Tom Notch) engine!
aktion035.gif
Mueller
Thanks,

I ordered the 30mm pump from aircooled.net today along with a few other items.
bander
The cover needs to have a corner choped off to clear the motor mount. After doing this, the cover was warped by about .010". I was thinking about welding a 1/2" slice of a 2" pipe to the cover to stiffen it, but didn't. I Flycut it to flatten it.

Also, I have a Web cam with 5 screws. the heads of the scews were cut down to clear the FIXED pin on the pump. On the first attempt, one screw hit the pump every time around and may have been a contributor to my needing to tear it down after 500 miles. Grind that down as needed.
ThinAir
I stopped by the local VW performance store on the way home last night and they said "Nope, they are entirely different". Of course what I asked them was whether you could use a Type 1 op in a Type 4 engine, not whether you could modify a Type 1 op so that it could be used in a Type 4 engine.

My question is, why would you want to do this? Since you have to machine the op, it can't be to save $$$.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.