Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: blue metalic porsche 1974 on sale at ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Saturn63
Sorry for being dramatic,
but, I need help,
do not not know anything regarding the 914 except . I want one .
not for posturing or anything poncey. I would like to use one as a daily driver, I am fed up with modern faceless new cars.Yes, I am now 50 and want something with soul !
I have seen one on e bay which is metalic blue 1974 2.0 car, which I like the look of ,
Is this car original numbers matching ?
has it been in any accidents ? How many owners etc..how do you find these things out?
I live in London UK, so the targa may stay on more often than not !
CHEERS
Alfie.
my email is alphonsolowhing@hotmail.com
nsr-jamie
Can you post a link to the auction on ebay? Is it Ebay USA or UK?
Qarl
Perhaps most of these questions can be answered by the seller of the car on ebay.

Johny Blackstain
If it's ebay US, I think you mean this one-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-blue-w...s#ht_415wt_1365

welcome.png
I am suspicious that there are no photos of either the "hell hole" or the right side longitudinal. Tool kit shown is not from a 74 & no pics of the interior. Front & rear spoilers are not original & don't know if the wheels are either. Front turn signals & rear tail lights are euro spec, not original to US but plus for you. Bumpers are not from a 74. Overall it looks nice, but as a daily driver you have to remember this is a 40 yr old car. They can be very high maintenance when used in that capacity & lots of parts are no longer available. Also, since you mentioned because of your location the top would not be coming off that frequently, you should know that in a strong enough rainstorm the top will leak. Constant exposure of moisture to the chassis will rust the living hell out of her, fast.
I'm a year older than you, own 2 914s & use a 95 Civic as my daily driver. The Civic is exceptionally easy & affordable to maintain- not so much for my teeners. Another item to mention is the vast majority of 914s came here to America, so the aftermarket is mostly here, which in turn for you means lots of VAT. Not trying to discourage you m8, but you should know what your getting into 1st.
Jmkorfha
What a beautiful car.
$5100 bid and 7 days left.
It's going to go high.
bdstone914
Looks like a very nice car. I would email him and ask for interior, engine bay and under car pictures. Note the lister is not the seller. See if he will provide a phone number and call him. I always get a better feel for what the deal is when talking to the seller. If he has owned 30 914's he should know his stuff.
boxsterfan
Nice looking car from the pics, but you NEED to see pics of the hell hole, trunks and the longs. Some shots of the interior wouldn't hurt either.

This thread almost feels like an "advertisement" to spark interest from potential buyers. confused24.gif
Woody
Check out the classifieds section here for other cars as well. As suggested you need to be able to see the hell hole and the longs before you even begin to negotiate. This is essentially the backbone of the car.
Cap'n Krusty
I could probably be persuaded to take a break from my busy retirement and drive down there and look it over. Somebody wave gas money in my face and I'm all over it .............................

The Cap'n
nrc914
QUOTE(Saturn63 @ Apr 22 2014, 10:56 AM) *

Sorry for being dramatic,
but, I need help,
do not not know anything regarding the 914 except . I want one .
not for posturing or anything poncey. I would like to use one as a daily driver, I am fed up with modern faceless new cars.Yes, I am now 50 and want something with soul !
I have seen one on e bay which is metalic blue 1974 2.0 car, which I like the look of ,
Is this car original numbers matching ?
has it been in any accidents ? How many owners etc..how do you find these things out?
I live in London UK, so the targa may stay on more often than not !
CHEERS
Alfie.
my email is alphonsolowhing@hotmail.com

Hi Alfie

There is quite a good following of 914's in the UK and if you want to know what running one as a daily driver in the UK is like you need to speak with Kevin Clarke as he has several as his only cars and is very hands on! Not sure what Kevin's username is on here but he is '914 KEV' on www.ddk-online.com which is where most of the UK guys hang out. There are also quite a few 14's for sale in the UK at the moment as well depending on your budget!

Cheers

Nathan
Elliot Cannon
"Hell holes" and "longs" are always mentioned when deciding on buying a 914. It's always assumed that a person who might be a stranger to this car understands what those things are. When I first bought my 914, someone asked if I had checked the hell hole. "Sure", I said. " WTF.gif is a hell hole". av-943.gif
worn
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 22 2014, 08:26 AM) *

"Hell holes" and "longs" are always mentioned when deciding on buying a 914. It's always assumed that a person who might be a stranger to this car understands what those things are. When I first bought my 914, someone asked if I had checked the hell hole. "Sure", I said. " WTF.gif is a hell hole". av-943.gif

Of course, and then either the welder comes out or you start paying bills. Actually they are strong little cars.

I totally agree with the original post about modern cars being souless, and also dependable and sort of comfortable. Still, they are a lot like microsoft windows: all the decisions are no longer yours. No vents, no fan controls, the locks will get you stranded by deciding it is time to button up on their own, etc. I fell more secure in an older car. Also we are back to the two ton cars of 1957.

Buy a 914 and drive it. I did. beerchug.gif
PanelBilly
Am I hearing the sounds of "mid Life Crises"?
worn
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 22 2014, 09:12 AM) *

Am I hearing the sounds of "mid Life Crises"?

"Have you bought a Porsche yet?"

"You know, I was thinking about buying a Porsche."

Bill Murray and Scarlet Johansen - Lost in Translation.
brant
Hire the capt'n. Having john do a ppi is the best thing you could do. I won't buy a 914 without pulling the rocker covers. These cars rust and sellers like to hide that
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.