Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to Refinish Bumper Tops
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Fitton
Anyone refinish their bumper tops? If so any suggestions or pointers, can these be sanded smooth and painted, mine are not warped or wavy, just rough surface from auto crossing. Thanks
green914
By bumper top do you mean the black-pad that sits on top of the chrome bumpers?
If so, I am not sure if there is any way to restore them, you may want to look at replacements. welcome.png
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Apr 22 2014, 08:10 AM) *

Anyone refinish their bumper tops? If so any suggestions or pointers, can these be sanded smooth and painted, mine are not warped or wavy, just rough surface from auto crossing. Thanks

I did mine on my 74 by sanding with 80 grit then 120 grit then 220 grit sand paper!

I also did the tits.

It took quite a while by hand but turned out very nice!
Johny Blackstain
Or you can order new reproductions from 914rubber.com
ruby914
Do they have a texture? I don't recall. I redid some tits by sanding and using some rubber bumper spray from a can, maybe Duplicolor. Worked great.
It goes on almost like a die so its not like it'll crack and fall off next year. I also recall some bumper black that you may rub on? I heard good reviews on that also.
Mikey914
You can use rubberized undercoating to give it some texture and armor all the hell out of it (after it's set for a day in the sun). It will not remove the waves, but looks better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.