Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: E-Bay 959
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris H.
959Here's something you don't see much. A 959 on e-bay!

Anyone have $300K lying around?
seanery
It didn't say it was federalized?
Any way to know for sure if it can be driven?
Alexlitov
Check the VIN.
Mueller
One of Porsches ugliest cars ever made...I'd still take one however MDB2.gif
Ferg
16k is a lot of miles for that car, should be interesting to see if it goes. Collector is not gonna want it unless he's gonna use it as a driver. High mileage exoctics are always a tough sell. Ferg.
seanery
I don't know how the vin would help.
Porsche never federalized them for the US market.

The only ones (only a small handfull) in the us are either prohibited from
street use or federalized after the fact (in the last couple years).
EdwardBlume
I thought it qualifies as a collector car now. Its sold through a dealership so they've got to be able to register it.

For $300K though, you could get a GT2 for the track and have enough for a 911 Turbo daily driver. ohmy.gif
Russ K
"Priced to sell fast"???? huh.gif
Alexlitov
No description of the car what so ever!! I thought by running the vin thru carfax or something similar it will tell you when the entered US and when and if it was registered.

How is it a high milieage car? it only has 16k miles and it's 16 years old. About 1k a yeard.

Deamn, my other car has 10.5k miles on it and i got it in september of last year!!!
Aaron Cox
ugly? no way...they are sweet
Ferg
What I was trying to point out with the miles is that ultra exotic's which this is, mileage plays a huge role in value. And yes for this type of car 16k miles is on the high side when resale is concerned. I'm sure alot of the 959's went into collector's hands and have less than 500 miles ect. I have not paid attention to what sale prices of these have been in the last few years but I'm willing to bet that some of the non driven 959's have changed hands for this kind of money. Ferg. cool_shades.gif
Aaron Cox
okay..for anyone in the know, i got some questions:
  • QUESTIONS
  • What is the HP rating of 959
  • they had aircooled cylindders and water cooled heads right?
  • can it be shoehorn'd into a 914?
  • how many were made?
  • what years were they made?
  • and why are they so freakin espensive?????
aktion035.gif tia
seanery
actually, its got 26k miles on it.

It was the bad-ass-inist car of it's time. THE SUPERCAR if ever there was one.
The technology used was far, ahead of it's time (well 15 years or so).

It's amazing that in 15 years your average supercar's performance has equalled this, the ultimate supercar's.
vortrex
fastest production porsche ever made.

very few of them, bill gates has two.

maybe you can fit it in a 914??

Andyrew
acox914, I Think I can answer a few questions..
hp? the one on ebay is 450, but there were many different varieties of engines, those things where FAST....
I think there were 50 made, dont know the exact number though.. but not many.
I think they made them from 86 to 88... dont quite remember
Why are they expensive? Porsche put all their technology into those cars, Soooooo much technology for that time.. Then they used that technology in that car and all the following cars, like for example, their 4 wheel drive.. Look at all the other cars that where on the market.. look at what they had, then look at the 959, its advanced.. still is.

BTW Vortex, cant see your pic..
but here it is the linkhttp://erntheburn.tripod.com/autos/959/pors12.jpg
airsix
>* What is the HP rating of 959
450 hp (translates to 6.6lb per hp) 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. (smoking all four tires)
>*they had aircooled cylindders and water cooled heads right?
Correct. 4-valve twincam (per side).
>*can it be shoehorn'd into a 914?
Probably not. Heads are big due to twin-cams and quad valves. Suspension console would probably be a deal-killer.
>*how many were made?
230 street-legal cars were produced and sold (worldwide) I think
>* what years were they made?
We started hearing rumors in 1983-ish. Cars hit the road in 1986.
>*and why are they so freakin espensive?????
At the time they were produced it was the most advanced car ever made. It was Porsche's technology testbed. Features such as hydro-all-wheel-drive, speed sensitive suspension, twin-turbos, traction-conrtol, ABS, speed-sensitive power steering, run-flat tires, remote tire-pressure sensing, extensive use of hi-tech composites, etc. had never before been seen in a production vehicle. It was simply amazing in it's day. It was a concept car that delivered the goods - It was literally the car of the future delivered 25 years early. Over the years Porsche has taken what it learned from the 959 and incorporated many of it's features into the 911, and that was the point. The 959 was a proof-of-concept project to help develop many of the technologies common today but never before seen in it's day.

-Ben M.
EdwardBlume
Great description.... now I want one. Don't tell my wife. What is the CA lotto up to? MDB2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.