Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shaky front end upon braking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
webrocket
If someone near Azusa can help me diagnose my front end wobble please contact hoping to use car for G&R swap this weekend
bdstone914
QUOTE(webrocket @ Apr 22 2014, 09:38 PM) *

If someone near Azusa can help me diagnose my front end wobble please contact hoping to use car for G&R swap this weekend

Sounds like warped rotors. Check for loose wheel bearings by trying to move the top of the wheel with it on the ground. Remove the wheels and spin the rotors looking for wobble. Also check for bad tie rod ends and worn ball joints.
rmdinmd
agree.gif
You might not see the wobble as it doesn't take much. It was a different kind of car but my son had a shaking that was felt in steering wheel and the rest of the car. we replaced one rotor (luckily the correct one) and the problem went away.
yeahmag
An easy and free thing to do is to sand the rotors. Sometimes you get pad transfer/buildup that can cause what feels like a warped rotor.
76-914
Do you feel some pulsation on the brake pedal when braking?
webrocket
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 23 2014, 07:20 PM) *

No it appears to shake upon acceleration and braking it's a renegade 916 body car with wide body and wide wheels
webrocket
QUOTE(webrocket @ Apr 23 2014, 09:57 PM) *

No it appears to shake upon acceleration and braking it's a renegade 916 body car with wide body and wide wheels

Appears to shake at any speed but doesn't seem to have any loose parts
Mike Bellis
When was the last time the wheels were balanced? A weight could have popped off.
chads74
QUOTE(webrocket @ Apr 23 2014, 08:57 PM) *

I have a similar issue, no shake when braking, just when I accelerate hard. I bought new turbo tie rods, and ball joints which I hope fixes the problem. If I can manage to get everything installed this weekend I'll let you know my results.

On a slightly different note, do you or has anyone ever heard a clunk when backing up and press the brakes? Almost like somthing in the front end isn't bolted down tight? My car has had this problem ever since I bought it but I can't find anything loose or anything obviously missing.
r_towle
Basics.

Front and rear bearings
Tie rods and ball joints
Rear trailing arm bushings and suspension ears.

Test all four corners for wiggles, loose suspension parts.

If it's shaking when you accelerate, and when you brake, it's something between the chassis and the pavement...
7TPorsh
wheels out of round....flat spotted tires....
webrocket
thanks to all who have replied I don't know if weather will permit tomorrows repair efforts im still hoping to make it to swap on sunday
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.