Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's in Your emergancy road kit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
reharvey
I've been driving 914s for 25 plus years and have broken down more than once. Having some tools and extra parts comes in handy. This is what I carry along and was just wondering what everyone else had in their tool box. I have a wire tucked under the battery box that connects to the hot side of the fuel pump. If I don't hear it run for a few seconds when the key is turned on I connect the wire to the hot side of the coil to get me home ( if the pump isn't shot ). I also carry extra cables and jumpers. What else can we do to keep from calling a tow truck? Ray
bandjoey
Aaa card
green914
An extra ignition coil. wacko.gif Over the last 20 years I have had the coil go out twice on me.
Elliot Cannon
Probably everything you have there including a spare axle and tools to change one. I also carry a scissor jack, jack stand, throttle and clutch cable. AAA card and a cell phone pretty much go without saying.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(green914 @ Apr 24 2014, 02:26 PM) *

An extra ignition coil. wacko.gif Over the last 20 years I have had the coil go out twice on me.

Interesting. In 40 continuous years of making my living as a wrench and a shop owner, I don't think I sold more than 50 coils of any kind or brand, and a big chunk of the total was 911 CDI coils. Bosch coils, in particular the ones used on 4 cylinder air cooled engines, are remarkably reliable. The coil on my '65 911 is original. The coil on my nearly-500,000 mile Jetta was original when I sold it to the county for recycling.

The Cap'n
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 24 2014, 06:13 PM) *

QUOTE(green914 @ Apr 24 2014, 02:26 PM) *

Interesting. In 40 continuous years of making my living as a wrench and a shop owner, I don't think I sold more than 50 coils of any kind or brand, and a big chunk of the total was 911 CDI coils. Bosch coils, in particular the ones used on 4 cylinder air cooled engines, are remarkably reliable. The coil on my '65 911 is original. The coil on my nearly-500,000 mile Jetta was original when I sold it to the county for recycling.

The Cap'n

As these cars have gotten older, I have had issues with the old yellow top coils getting to hot in the summer and not working.

A blue coil has lasted for at least ten years now....
speed metal army
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Apr 24 2014, 02:18 PM) *

Aaa card

Yep. The best.
stugray
That is the exact same tool box I hauled around the country in my 914 back in college! Perfect size as it fits in the front trunk nicely.

In addition, I had one of those cargo web/net bungee things that bikers use to strap stuff to the rear seat.
It stretched perfectly across the back wall of the front trunk, and to the spare tire cover-board and kept that tool box from moving around.

And I never had the stock jack. I kept a small bottle jack wrapped in an old sweatshirt next to the spare.
And one of those 4 way tire irons I found fit exactly inside the spare with jumper cables coiled below.
ripper911
I used to keep a "phase 1" tool kit according to How To Keep Your VW Alive, but it has since dwindled into a small tool box with rusty sockets, ratchets, wrenches, and a couple of other things. I also keep a stock jack and a lug wrench up front.

One thing that is extremely important to keep on hand is an extra set of contact points.
914werke
A throttle cable & a clutch cable coiled in the spare.
worn
QUOTE(reharvey @ Apr 24 2014, 12:08 PM) *

I've been driving 914s for 25 plus years and have broken down more than once. Having some tools and extra parts comes in handy. This is what I carry along and was just wondering what everyone else had in their tool box. I have a wire tucked under the battery box that connects to the hot side of the fuel pump. If I don't hear it run for a few seconds when the key is turned on I connect the wire to the hot side of the coil to get me home ( if the pump isn't shot ). I also carry extra cables and jumpers. What else can we do to keep from calling a tow truck? Ray

Real metal wire to tie up things. Gloves to handle hot things, and a dispo tyvek set of coveralls in case I am not dressed for the event. Throttle and clutch cables in the spare. Oil. Jump packs are getting small too.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Apr 24 2014, 06:45 PM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Apr 24 2014, 02:18 PM) *

Aaa card

Yep. The best.

I agree, helped me when I was 2 hours from home and broke down (fuelpump)
I always have it in my wallet just in case.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.