Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help - Water in trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ewdysar
I've started getting water in the rear trunk. IPB Image It does not appear to be the trunk seal. It's my guess that it's making it in behind the taillight seals.

Does this sound right?

Eric
DJsRepS
Try running a garden hose in small areas or leave the trunk open and carefuly run a little water around them sound like a good call though.
URY914
I had that problem with my car back when it was a real car.
Yes, the water way coming in thru the tail light gaskets. It runs down the channel on the sides of the trunk lip and right over the taillights.

Paul
Aaron Cox
welcome to 914 land....where all 914's leak like a boat made of swiss cheese
SirAndy
QUOTE (ewdysar @ Jan 13 2005, 11:04 AM)
It does not appear to be the trunk seal

i would check on it anyways. in my case, it was the trunk seal. i have a few spots where the hood does not sit tight on the seal and if you have a lot of rain/water, it'll build up in the channel and "spill over" the seal ...

IPB Image Andy
GaroldShaffer
Other than not geting the car wet. Is there a fix for this? Mine leaks BAD around the tail lights also.
jim912928
me to! me to! I replaced every seal on my car but these since you can't get them? What are people doing to seal the tailights...basically I can spit right through them!
mharrison
In other cars, I have gotten in the trunk with a flashlight and a "trusted" assistant would close the trunk and run the hose. I don't think that is an option in the teener's rear trunk though!

Do you have any really small non-claustrophobic children? IPB Image
bondo
You could always fill the trunk with water and see where it leaks OUT IPB Image

(just kidding, don't do that!)
SirAndy
QUOTE (jim912928 @ Jan 13 2005, 12:12 PM)
me to! me to!  I replaced every seal on my car but these since you can't get them?  What are people doing to seal the tailights...basically I can spit right through them!

i used Butyl tape around the taillights, worked great!

only problem i can see is if i ever want to remove them again ...
IPB Image Andy
bondo
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 13 2005, 01:19 PM)
QUOTE (jim912928 @ Jan 13 2005, 12:12 PM)
me to! me to!  I replaced every seal on my car but these since you can't get them?  What are people doing to seal the tailights...basically I can spit right through them!

i used Butyl tape around the taillights, worked great!

only problem i can see is if i ever want to remove them again ...
IPB Image Andy

IPB Image Great idea! Perfect use for that little bit of tape everyone has left over after doing the rear window!
SirAndy
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 13 2005, 12:21 PM)
Great idea! Perfect use for that little bit of tape everyone has left over after doing the rear window!

IPB Image

just one more thing, if you do that, DON'T overtighten the nuts that hold the housing as you just added some material.
otherwise you'll pull the studs right out of the plastic!

ask me how i know,
IPB Image Andy
GWN7
The seals are available, part #914 631 939 00

TAILLIGHT LENSE SEAL, pair of two; 914 1970-76 $15.00

I was asked at the FFC to make these and when I got home I found them online at two places
bondo
Isn't that the lens seal only? I think the one in question is the housing to body seal.
jim912928
I think those are the smooth white ones that go into the lens groove. We are talking about the gasket that basically is bonded on the tailight housing itself...the one that seals the entire assembly to the car frame.
scotty914
i used duct seal, costs a bout 3 bucks at HD. the pluses it has are it never really dries out, sticky so it will bond and stretch. it kinds of like playdoo.

as for the left over its great fun to shoot with a 22 lr, works like ballistic gel, but cheaper and reusable. a 22 makes a neat hole in it, plus it stays together so you can just make it in to a ball again, and shoot away
ewdysar
So, we're talking about the seal between the housing and the body. I've been told that the only official source is to buy the whole taillight assembly. IPB Image

This looks like a great opportunity for one of our 914Club product superheros IPB Image Sounds like most of our cars could use them.

Without looking at the actual pieces, I'm thinking, scape off the old seal, bond the new, improved, replacement seal to the housing and reinstall the taillight. Maybe even leave a gap along the bottom to keep the trunk from getting too full IPB Image

Eric
Root_Werks
The tail light housings are one of the most common places for leaks. The rear trunk seal will stop water, but you have a tray that seal sits on that pretty much prevents that.

I have used buytl tape on the tail light housings with great sucess. My 914 now can be washed, in a downpour of rain and the rear trunk is always dry. Now if I could just get the front trunk and pass. area to stay dry. IPB Image
rhodyguy
you can also run a bead of black silicon around the existing seal. when you tighten the housing down it will conform to the gaps and there's less chance of cracking the housing. you have to clean the area on the car and the rubber seal before you take this approach.

kevin
Doug Leggins
I've tried to find the seals at several places and haven't found any. The suggestions that I have heard are to use butyl tape or RTV.

Here are some original seals that I was able to remove without destroying them. These are the seals that need to be reproduced. A straight dup is probably not what we need since they leak so bad. An improved version is what we need. maybe a thicker seal would seal up better?
mightyohm
Who sells the lens seals? (not the housing seals)

...although I probably need both.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.