Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spitting back through carbs at idle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David Stowers
I'm running twin Dellortos and have had them set up and balanced by a respected air cooled guy. The only problem is that it won't idle smoothly and pops and splutters back through the carbs once its warmed up.
He suggested valve clearances or sticky valves but it seems strange as it appears to be happening on all cylinders. His only other suggestion was the carbs could be trash.
Any thoughts before I go skinning my knuckle AGAIN checking the clearances or worse still looking for new carbs?
It didn't do this before my recent head replacement but is doing it on both sides
r_towle
Does it hot, not cold?
Check your valves

I would check the timing when hot, see if your distributor advance plates are sticky.
Also wires and correct plugs.
David Stowers
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 26 2014, 12:21 PM) *

Does it hot, not cold?
Check your valves

I would check the timing when hot, see if your distributor advance plates are sticky.
Also wires and correct plugs.

Thanks
Yes, when hot. New wires and correct Bosch plugs.
I'll double check valve clearances and maybe go 0.2mm instead of 0.15
barefoot
Sounds like timing or sticky intake valves, not carbs.
David Stowers
It turned out the valve springs were on their way out, I had two springs on the same head fail, an intake on #4 and exhaust on #3. Spoilt our day somewhat.
I bought two brand new repro heads and its running like a dream.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.