Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is this inside my fuel tank?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
It looks like sludge but it's hard - is it fuel tank construction sealer or something? I was considering POR-15'ing my tank but it seems pretty clean inside aside from this unknown material.

Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(patssle @ Apr 26 2014, 04:40 PM) *

It looks like sludge but it's hard - is it fuel tank construction sealer or something? I was considering POR-15'ing my tank but it seems pretty clean inside aside from this unknown material.

Hmm...I just saw the same thing in my tank. Pull the tank and check the screen/filter . I
Porsche930dude
dont por-15 inside the tank it wont hold up
r_towle
Looks like a former sealant.

The stock tank was bare inside, so any sealer in there was put in later on.
patssle
Hmmm okay. I did look through my 914 paperwork history and a PO did do some POR-15 so perhaps it had an issue at some point that needed to be sealed.

POR-15 makes a fuel tank specific cleaning/sealing kit and it gets pretty good reviews. I'm not going to use it as mine seems fairly clean but it should hold up.
KELTY360
QUOTE(patssle @ Apr 26 2014, 08:11 PM) *

POR-15 makes a fuel tank specific cleaning/sealing kit and it gets pretty good reviews. I'm not going to use it as mine seems fairly clean but it should hold up.

Are those reviews from people who have just used the product or from those who've had it in there for a few years?
nsyr
I had that in my tank. It was from the tank sitting with ethanol fuel in it. It turns to gum over time as it absorbs moisture from the air. I was able to wash it out though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.