Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Had an injury at work today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
For those of you that don't know, I'm a senior project manager on a pretty big hospital construction site. My Super came to me this morning and said we had an iron worker get hurt today. This is the conversation...

Super: "We had a iron worker get hurt and go to the ER this morning"

Me: "What happened, is he alright?"

Super: "Well he said he sat on his balls and injured himself."

Me: "WTF do you mean?"

Super: "Yea, he said he sat down on a beam and hurt his nuts."

Me: "So they checked him out in the ER?"

Super: "Yea, he took a break than returned to work."

Me: "Did he submit for a drug test?" (as he is required to do)

Super:"Well no, he says he smokes dope every night so it would come back positive anyway."

Me: "So I don't have to ask you if you showed him the gate and called his office, right?"

Super: "Done"

Sometimes I don't know how more of these dumbasses don't get killed everyday. IPB Image

Paul
rhodyguy
iron workers tend to be a pretty tough bunch. i can't imagine the the rest of the connecting crew would let him snivel about a little testicular contact. your company got off cheap paul, he was a death claim waiting to happen. lots of hang low if you can sit on them. IPB Image

kevin
maf914
Hey, Paul.

I was having a little trouble trying to visualize the injury you described. Then I realized I didn't really want to visualize it! IPB Image
URY914
You'll notice in the conversation, that I'd ask for details. IPB Image
TimT
I work with i-workers every day, have for the past 20 years or so..

There is a guy on my current job that refuses to tie-off.. when pushed he say "if I fall throw my body in the river" what kind of mentality is that?

real macho, this guy has 4 little kids and a wife at home..
Root_Werks
Little different here in the office. If the elevator goes out, everyone will stand by the door for hours until it gets fixed with a nice set of stairs just off to the left.

If someone isn't "feeling" good, the go home.

Paper cut - go home.

Shoes got wet - go home.

You get the picture. IPB Image
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jan 13 2005, 02:50 PM)
For those of you that don't know, I'm a senior project manager on a pretty big hospital construction site. My Super came to me this morning and said we had an iron worker get hurt today.
Paul

Paul,

Tomorrow morning lay out a box of jock straps with a sign that says,

"Courtesy of Management". IPB Image

IPB Image
dinomium
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Jan 13 2005, 02:12 PM)
Little different here in the office. If the elevator goes out, everyone will stand by the door for hours until it gets fixed with a nice set of stairs just off to the left.

If someone isn't "feeling" good, the go home.

Paper cut - go home.

Shoes got wet - go home.

You get the picture. IPB Image

i worked for my dads constuction company till i was 30. Today
i have a really bad cold and I am staying home and getting paid. Macho work till you die is just that!
Korijo
i wasn't always a pothead IPB Image

high-rise carpenter (form setter IPB Image ) damn rod-busters IPB Image
GaroldShaffer
I work with i-workers every day, have for the past 20 years or so..

There is a guy on my current job that refuses to tie-off.. when pushed he say "if I fall throw my body in the river" what kind of mentality is that?

real macho, this guy has 4 little kids and a wife at home..

I had a cousin like that. Notice I said had, long story but lets say it was more than 4 story fall. If he would have been tied off, he just might still be here today.
aircooledboy
Super: "Well he said he sat on his balls and injured himself."

Me: "WTF do you mean?"

Super: "Yea, he said he sat down on a beam and hurt his nuts."

Me: "So they checked him out in the ER?"

Super: "Yea, he took a break than returned to work."

Me: "Did he submit for a drug test?" (as he is required to do)

Super:"Well no, he says he smokes dope every night so it would come back positive anyway."

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Laughing so hard I have tears running down my face. IPB Image
I can't breath, I can't breath. . . . IPB Image
Sammy
I had a pipe-fitter working for me years ago who one day called on the radio, "man down, man down".
Everyone immediately started searching for him.
We finally found him curled up on the floor of a porta-potty.
I don't know how but he got his "jewels" caught under the toilet seat just as he was sitting down, you can picture the rest. Ouch! IPB Image

It took him a long time to live that one down.
spare time toys
I had one of the slugs on my crew Bump his head on the radar dish on a 737 no cut no blood and he milked it out for 15 weeks of OJI time off IPB Image . For those of you who did not know the radar dish pivots back and forth and tilts up and down you can push it out of the way with one finger. IPB Image
SpecialK
Apparently he didn't get a chance to clean all of the stems out of the bag before he "crotched" it, I recommend he double-bagged next time to prevent such injuries. One of the many hazards of drug abuse! IPB Image
Bleyseng
Yep, had an ironworker (the lead) refused to tieoff argued that "he wasn't ever gonna fall, only pussys do" I left to get my boss.....and sh*t the guy fell 2 stories onto to the offloaded steel. Imagine a watermelon hitting a big steel beam.
Since I was in the process of reporting him the company got off the huge fine from L&I.

Geoff
redshift
I have no comment.

M
ws91420
QUOTE (redshift @ Jan 13 2005, 09:08 PM)
I have no comment.

M

I saw that redshift posted to this thread and I was looking forward to his comment and this is what we get. IPB Image
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Sammy @ Jan 13 2005, 04:21 PM)
I had a pipe-fitter working for me years ago who one day called on the radio, "man down, man down".
Everyone immediately started searching for him.
We finally found him curled up on the floor of a porta-potty.
I don't know how but he got his "jewels" caught under the toilet seat just as he was sitting down, you can picture the rest. Ouch! IPB Image

It took him a long time to live that one down.

omg OUCH!
skline
All I can say is "Union Labor".
SpecialK
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 13 2005, 06:56 PM)

What's that supposed to mean? IPB Image

Member Local 837 IAMAW
airsix

Yeah, the comment about the guy who won't tie off cracks me up. In my world he'd be shown the door and told his last check will be mailed out at the end of the week. AND THAT'S THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.

-Ben M.
URY914
For what it's worth, his guy was not a union member.
redshift
I don't want to be inappropriate....

I have sat on my balls, high on dope... twice... in a row... ok... three times, and later that moment, I ate the last of the potato chips, and laughed at something I thought I heard someone say, then I landed a 747 full of blind children on the wrong runway.... the tower called 27R, I-20 looks alot like 27R when you are high on pot, and thirsty.

To some people, 'you da man', and to others you are 'The Man'.

M
skline
QUOTE (Special_K @ Jan 13 2005, 07:05 PM)

Member Local 837 IAMAW

Local 63 ILWU

It means for the most part, many of the workers I met at the port are useless panty waste sissies that will do anything to get out of work and still get paid. I also know some UAW that are the same way. Looking for a paycheck and not wanting to put in the time.

As for sending a union worker home, he will just go check in at the hall and go back somewhere else the next day.
URY914
QUOTE (redshift @ Jan 13 2005, 07:22 PM)
I don't want to be inappropriate....

I have sat on my balls, high on dope... twice... in a row... ok... three times, and later that moment, I ate the last of the potato chips, and laughed at something I thought I heard someone say, then I landed a 747 full of blind children on the wrong runway.... the tower called 27R, I-20 looks alot like 27R when you are high on pot, and thirsty.

To some people, 'you da man', and to others you are 'The Man'.

M

Now I understand. IPB Image
Mr.C
When I was a teenager I had a friend who split his sack on the gooseneck when we were out riding. He was so worried about the marbles falling out of the bag he went up to a complete stranger and wanted some advice. "I cut my balls what should I do?" The guy takes it wrong, gets mad and then PUNCHES him in the face! IPB Image Just wasn't his day.
TimT
"I cut my balls what should I do?" The guy takes it wrong, gets mad and then PUNCHES him in the face!  Just wasn't his day.

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

now that is funny
SpecialK
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 13 2005, 07:25 PM)
QUOTE (Special_K @ Jan 13 2005, 07:05 PM)

Member Local 837 IAMAW

Local 63 ILWU

It means for the most part, many of the workers I met at the port are useless panty waste sissies that will do anything to get out of work and still get paid. I also know some UAW that are the same way. Looking for a paycheck and not wanting to put in the time.

As for sending a union worker home, he will just go check in at the hall and go back somewhere else the next day.

Couldn't agree more Scott, same shit here (only you put it a little nicer than I would have)!

Miles - WOW, got any more of that stuff! IPB Image ROTFLMAOABPOMN!!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Cabasa @ Jan 13 2005, 08:51 PM)
When I was a teenager I had a friend who split his sack on the gooseneck when we were out riding. He was so worried about the marbles falling out of the bag he went up to a complete stranger and wanted some advice. "I cut my balls what should I do?" The guy takes it wrong, gets mad and then PUNCHES him in the face! IPB Image Just wasn't his day.

omg... i split my sack riding bmx ..cased a jump, tagged teh nuts on teh seat post IPB Image
airsix
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 13 2005, 08:19 PM)
omg... i split my sack riding bmx ..cased a jump, tagged teh nuts on teh seat post IPB Image

I was dumb and lucky. On a dare I jumped my bmx bike off the HS football stadium bleachers when I was about 12. Bent the handlebars, bent a peddle (can't believe it didn't break my ankles) and busted the seat off the post. Post missed my goods and arse was still on seat when seat hit rear tire. Wow. I still can't believe I was so lucky. Not a scratch. But there were other events in my life to make up for it.

-Ben M.
rhodyguy
and you wonder why you don't get a callout from the longshoremans hall scott.

kevin
tdgray
QUOTE (airsix @ Jan 13 2005, 08:42 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 13 2005, 08:19 PM)
omg... i split my sack riding bmx ..cased a jump, tagged teh nuts on teh seat post  :o

I was dumb and lucky. On a dare I jumped my bmx bike off the HS football stadium bleachers when I was about 12. Bent the handlebars, bent a peddle (can't believe it didn't break my ankles) and busted the seat off the post. Post missed my goods and arse was still on seat when seat hit rear tire. Wow. I still can't believe I was so lucky. Not a scratch. But there were other events in my life to make up for it.

-Ben M.

Yikes IPB Image

Didn't happen to me but a good friend who was a drummer in a band I played in long ago.

Coming back from a "break" after having a few too many beers some one in the band thought it would be cute to pull the seat off the drummers throne. Long story short...torn a$$hole...in the hospital for a week...crapping blood for two more. IPB Image

FWIW - Although my father was a union carpenter all his life and they treated him right, I can't stand the damn Union mentality now. Jerk-offs think they are entitled to F'ing everything. I know that is a generalization so please don't flame me but I am getting ready for contract negotiations and these people are just pissing me OFF IPB Image

IPB Image USW, IAMAW, IUOE
mike_the_man
I read a story about a rugby player who was in a game and popped his hip out of the socket. The trainer came out, and he said that this has happened a few times, and to just grab it and pop it back in. The trainer grabed his leg and popped the hip back in place. The rugby player emitted a huge scream and passed out. It turns out, his testicle had fallen into his hip socket, and when the hip was popped back in, it crushed his nut! IPB Image

I read it in a Maxim, I think. Not sure if it's true, but just hearing about it makes me wince.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.