Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing genuine Porsche clown car horn
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
This is a simple how-to for anyone that wants to upgrade to an extremely rare 1973.25 Porsche clown car horn. Very few cars came from the factory with this option, so you'll be the envy of the 'check out my OEM 914/6GT glove compartment lock' crowd at the next Cars & Coffee.

Step 1:
Troubleshoot your non-working horn to the point where your limited knowledge makes you sure it's a faulty steering column switch, but your lack of skill means you have no idea what to do about it.

Step 2:
Scour the internet for a genuine OEM Porsche 914 clown car horn button. (Be careful not to accidentally get a Gugelot BMW unit, they look similar but the latter will see you laughed out of the Pebble Beach concours). I got lucky and found one here on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331084830561?ssPag...984.m1497.l2649

Step 3:
Prove to your kids that you're not just saying smoking is a filthy habit by removing the cigarette lighter socket from your dash, and hiding your cigarettes at the office.

Click to view attachment

Step 4:
Marvel at the fact that by complete accident the button is exactly the same size as the cigarette lighter hole (Yes, that is a genuine chrome plastic ring).

Click to view attachment

Step 5:
Now for the boring technical bit. Splice into the brown/white wire at the steering column and attach it to one side of the micro switch. Ground the other side using the ground from the now defunct cigarette lighter.

Click to view attachment

Step 6:
Terrify your friends into thinking your car has a nuclear missile launch control button wired into the dash by splicing into the blue/black wire on the back of the speedo and wiring it into the back of the button to add LED illumination whenever you turn your car lights on.

Click to view attachment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCBJcc4blgU...eature=youtu.be

Step 7:
Cruise around safe in the knowledge that when fellow road users drive like they're extras in a game of Frogger you now have a fully functioning arcade button to let them know what you think of them.

Enjoy.
bfrymire
This thread is useless without a video!!!! smile.gif

And I need one for the next autocross.biggrin.gif

john77
QUOTE(bfrymire @ Apr 26 2014, 08:00 PM) *

This thread is useless without a video!!!! smile.gif

And I need one for the next autocross.biggrin.gif

Added smile.gif
bfrymire
And just viewed it. Nowhere near obnoxious enough.

smile.gif

-- Brett
john77
QUOTE(bfrymire @ Apr 26 2014, 08:05 PM) *

And just viewed it. Nowhere near obnoxious enough.

smile.gif

-- Brett

Oh, come on, at night it'll be like you're cruising around in a mobile brothel smile.gif.
Larmo63
It isn't too bright while you're driving?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.