Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom three piece wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Does anyone know of a vendor that could take a set of stock 4 bolt Fuchs and either make them wider by welding on a wider outer area, or could cut out the middle to make up a custom 3 piece wheel?

Rich
Krieger
I have seen wheels that Harvey Weidman widened. He may do more. He is in Oroville CA He does A+ work
bulitt
Sounds like a Dave Darling Question...
r_towle
QUOTE(Krieger @ Apr 27 2014, 03:33 PM) *

I have seen wheels that Harvey Weidman widened. He may do more. He is in Oroville CA He does A+ work

I have seen a set that was welded and widened as he does it.
He widens the inside using two full sets of wheels.
The heat ended up creating stress cracks at the laugh nut holes....took a while, but it happened.

I want the deep dish appearance while leaving the back spacing the same.
For a flared car.
Woody
Rebel racing does it with 5 lug Fuchs. Bring money. It may be time to start looking at a 5 lug conversion.
sixnotfour
I can and have done quite a few fuchs centered 17's
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
15x6.5 Mahle gas burner 5 lug
15x7 Mahle 4 lug
16x7.5 Fuchs
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
9x17 Fuchs
11x17 Fuchs
r_towle
Sixnotfour,

How does the center of the 4 lug faux bbs wheel get held in place and not spin?

Can you make a set of four lug Fuchs?
sixnotfour
Yes, They are interference fit and tig welded on the back side.. like the mahle 4 lugs , also the rim blanks are DOT approved. and polished.
Mike Bellis
This place is the cheapest I found. I plan to use them to widen a pair of 8x16 phone dials to 9x16. They can also make them 17's.. idea.gif

http://www.team3wheels.com/wheel_repair.html

There is another more famous and expensive place in Los Angeles That does this but the above place is 10 miles from my house.
r_towle
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 27 2014, 08:20 PM) *

Yes, They are interference fit and tig welded on the back side.. like the mahle 4 lugs , also the rim blanks are DOT approved. and polished.

Do you do this as a service?

Rich
sixnotfour
what widths do you want ?? Yes I do them on a limited basis..
rick 918-S
I got your PM Jeff. Call me about the Enkei 92's I have a set of 4 here.
r_towle
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 27 2014, 11:02 PM) *

what widths do you want ?? Yes I do them on a limited basis..

4 lug Fuchs.
7.5 fronts, 9 inch rears.
Flared car.

I am looking for the backs pacing so I need no spacers at all.
Deep lip on the outside.

Woody
What size? Tires that will fit a 15x9 are becomes scarce unless you are going with race rubber.
peteyd
These guys also can widen your rims.

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/WHEELSLR.html
r_towle
QUOTE(Woody @ Apr 27 2014, 11:45 PM) *

What size? Tires that will fit a 15x9 are becomes scarce unless you are going with race rubber.

yup,

The more I thought about it, the more I realized I would like all 8 inch wheels.
Then I can move the rubber around.

They would be for autox tires mostly...
I have other wheels for street.

Just seeing if its doable with 4 lug and save the time of going to 5 lug...

Rich
Chris H.
Reminds me of those 8" Pedrinis that floated around for a while...hmeeder's originally.

Click to view attachment

The Fuchs would be an awesome look Rich. 8" 4 lug! You should be able to get the offset you want. sixnotfour...impressive work man!
Chris H.
Nother pic...

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
TRUDESIGN WHEEL, INC.
Porsche Alloy Fuchs wheel re-rimming and off-set changing, widening and refinishing! TDW is 2 piece and 3 piece wheel repair headquarters, any and all repairs for your special multi-piece wheels.
TRUDESIGN WHEEL INC.
12200 W. 52nd Ave.
Wheat Ridge, CO 80033

JIM LYON

Phone: (303) 422-5090
Fax: (303) 422-5104
Toll Free: (800) 621-6436

Email: sales@trudesignwheel.net
r_towle
so,

Before I venture down this road....

What size rubber can be put on an 8 inch wheel?
Just want to make sure I can actually buy tires when I am all done.

so 8 by 15....
I know I can get Hooziers....so that is covered.
How about street rubber?
What is the widest or range?

I got on tire rack and got stuck in the definitions of all the numbers...walked away knowing less and was far more confused....

Rich
patrick3000
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 28 2014, 12:22 PM) *

so,

so 8 by 15....
How about street rubber?

I got on tire rack and got stuck in the definitions of all the numbers...walked away knowing less and was far more confused....

Rich

I run Toyo RA1's 225-50-15 square on 15 x 8 fuchs
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 28 2014, 09:55 AM) *

Here they are!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=234986
Mueller
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 27 2014, 05:20 PM) *

Old thread I know.... smile.gif

Where does one find these? Only ones I could find required a minimum order of something like 200 sets...ouch

Wheelflip.com will make rims using these according to their blog but I doubt they will give up their source of parts.
matthepcat
I had a pare of custom wheels from a company in the Bay Area called Memory Fab

http://www.yelp.com/biz/memoryfab-union-city

https://www.memoryfab.com/

They do a lot of high end expensive JDM wheels, but a nice wheel is a nice wheel.

Mine were a set of 1 peice cast wheels that had the face cut and welded into a set of wide forged barrels.

IPB Image

very nice craftsmanship.
Mueller
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jun 3 2015, 02:56 PM) *

They do a lot of high end expensive JDM wheels, but a nice wheel is a nice wheel.

Mine were a set of 1 peice cast wheels that had the face cut and welded into a set of wide forged barrels.

very nice craftsmanship.

Nice wheels.... The wheelflip place said they'd rather not get one piece wheels to modify to weld into new barrels but said they still can do it. I was looking at getting brand new Empi or the like 2.0 Fuchs to put into 15x7 or 16x7 barrels. They would need to see a rim in person before committing to it.

7TPorsh
Just noticed this thread. I recently found out my cousin works for the company that makes the Magnus Walker wheels. Been talking to him about making a four bolt version.

They are modular and can be a variety of sizes. They but the rimes and cut the centers...then powdercoat/paint them.

Trying to get him and his designer to whip out a set for me.

If there is interest here I can push him a little bit.
r_towle
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 3 2015, 06:21 PM) *

very nice craftsmanship.

Nice wheels.... The wheelflip place said they'd rather not get one piece wheels to modify to weld into new barrels but said they still can do it. I was looking at getting brand new Empi or the like 2.0 Fuchs to put into 15x7 or 16x7 barrels. They would need to see a rim in person before committing to it.

Get 8 wheels.
Cut off the back of one wheel on a lathe the new thickness.
Cut off the back of another wheel
Weld on the new piece
Spin on lathe to clean up.

I have seen it done well with 4 lug fuchs.

rich
Mueller
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jun 3 2015, 03:24 PM) *

Just noticed this thread. I recently found out my cousin works for the company that makes the Magnus Walker wheels. Been talking to him about making a four bolt version.

They are modular and can be a variety of sizes. They but the rimes and cut the centers...then powdercoat/paint them.

As usual it depends on the price.

Their 2 piece welded rims cost quite a bit less (both from Magnus and from the manufacture, fifteen52) so that would be the direction I'd go.

stugray
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jun 3 2015, 04:24 PM) *

I have been searching for the last couple of years for a set of:
4 Lug 15X7 with the same rear backspacing as the 2.0L Fuchs.

I have found a few places that will widen the steelies by 1.5 inches for $200 ea.

I would LOVE to find someone that can custom make a set (4X) for under $1000.
I would probably buy 10 wheels (although probably not all at once).
Mueller
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 3 2015, 03:26 PM) *

very nice craftsmanship.

Get 8 wheels.
Weld on the new piece

rich

Bummer, my lathe only has a 13" diameter clearance.... smile.gif
stugray
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 3 2015, 04:32 PM) *

I was actually considering doing it myself with a spare trailing arm, rear spindle & bearing (all of which I have extras).
Then welding up a simple jig on the benchtop to hold a grinder with cutoff wheel (small steel chopsaw head would work better).
Then you just rotate the wheel while pressing the cutter against it.
There are many youtube videos showing people that are very "redneck" looking in their methods that get great results.

EDIT - I see that you were specifically talking about aluminum wheels, so a lathe would be a necessity

Just once I add up the effort to do just one wheel scares me when I think of doing 10.

I just purchased a set of 4 already made 7" wide sight-unseen so I'll re-evaluate making some of my own until I see a set that are done correctly.
+1.5" inch width, stock dia is all that is allowed for me.
Since I am still 4 lug the options are limited.

I sure wish that the: unicorn, 4X130, 15X7 with 120mm backspace was easier to find.
r_towle
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 3 2015, 06:32 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 3 2015, 03:26 PM) *

very nice craftsmanship.

Get 8 wheels.
Weld on the new piece

rich

But you know people.....
914_3.0
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 28 2014, 09:22 AM) *

so,

so 8 by 15....
How about street rubber?

Rich

I just got my setup on. 5-lug Fuchs: 7x15 front, 8x15 rear. Square tire setup: Toyo Proxes RR 225/45-15. It's flared, and I'm using a 1" spacer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.