Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater system help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mobymutt
My car doesn't appear to have any of the heater stuff on engine side. It has the heat exchanger/muffler, and I can see the connections into the longs, but that's it. It came with a loose blower sitting in the trunk, but I don't know if it works.

In order to get the car certified, I need a 'working' heater/defrost system. However, I have no intention of ever driving the car when I might actually need a heater. So I don't want to spend a bunch of money rebuilding the whole stock system if I can avoid it.

Are there any ways I can cheat to rebuild a simpler system that will get me through the inspection?

If not, what parts do I need to rebuild the stock system, and what can I expect them to cost?

Thanks in advance for any responses!
Matt
914werke
First Q: what MY & engine are we dealing with?
mobymutt
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 27 2014, 07:41 PM) *

First Q: what MY & engine are we dealing with?

Oops, sorry, it's a 1974 1.8L.
PanelBilly
Run a flex duct from the exchanger to the pipe that sticks out of the longs I. The engine bay. Without air blowing into the exchangers it not going to make any measurable heat in the interior, but it might pass.
Heat rises and the interior in slightly higher than the exchangers.
mepstein
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 27 2014, 08:07 PM) *

Run a flex duct from the exchanger to the pipe that sticks out of the longs I. The engine bay. Without air blowing into the exchangers it not going to make any measurable heat in the interior, but it might pass.
Heat rises and the interior in slightly higher than the exchangers.

I don't agree. My fan doesn't work but my car gets very warm in the winter.
I would get the system operating properly. You will extend your driving season and have a way to clear the inside of your windshield if you get caught on a rainy day
rgalla9146
2nd first question ;
Certified / inspection for what ? State Inspection ? THAT is a new one ! They actually check heat/defrost ? In NJ they inspect emissions only.
Shouldn't be too difficult finding and installing what is missing.
This site is a great place to start.
mobymutt
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 27 2014, 08:19 PM) *

2nd first question ;
Certified / inspection for what ? State Inspection ? THAT is a new one ! They actually check heat/defrost ? In NJ they inspect emissions only.
Shouldn't be too difficult finding and installing what is missing.
This site is a great place to start.

It's for Ontario, Canada.
Mark Henry
Dude this is from mikes914 I'd snag these. If you make him an offer I can grab them and hang on to them for you.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-parts-an...gationFlag=true

I can't remember what muffler you have, but if needed I have an old 1.8 muff that will do, you should be able to find some used flappers and a fan, then you have heat.

These exchangers on a stock 1.8 will give you bitch'in heat and with the top down on a crisp evening you need heat.
Then everything is nice and legal.

I know you only need a fan for safety but....
mobymutt
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 27 2014, 08:51 PM) *

Dude this is from mikes914 I'd snag these. I can grab them and hang on to them for you.

I can't remember what muffler you have, but if needed I have an old 1.8 muff that will do, you should be able to find some used flappers and a fan, then you have heat.

These exchangers on a stock 1.8 will give you bitch'in heat and with the top down on a crisp evening you need heat.

I've got heat exchangers and muffler, and both seem to be in decent shape.
Is that true about just requiring a fan? Can I hook up the fan to blow air into the long ducting, and that will pass?

I can always complete the full system later, I'm just trying to get the car certified so I can actually drive it. Aiming for the Picton autocross in late May.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Apr 27 2014, 09:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 27 2014, 08:51 PM) *

Dude this is from mikes914 I'd snag these. I can grab them and hang on to them for you.

I've got heat exchangers and muffler, and both seem to be in decent shape.
Is that true about just requiring a fan? Can I hook up the fan to blow air into the long ducting, and that will pass?

I can always complete the full system later, I'm just trying to get the car certified so I can actually drive it. Aiming for the Picton autocross in late May.

Depends who the "class A" mechanic is, legally (Ontario standards) it only states that it must blow air across the windshield. It doesn't say anything about it being heated air.
The system uses the engine cooling fan and an electric fan as a booster.
Mark Henry
BTW in Ontario Canada you have to have a Safety Certificate when registering a car you bought to get your plates.
It's not overly strict but the car has to have things that are mostly common sense (good tires, mechanical, most everything works etc.) in good working order.

Most is safety related, like you need air across the windshield, but they don't care if the air-conditioning is disconnected. etc.
rgalla9146
Oh yeah, makes sense heat /defrost is a required feature there. Pretty handy item.
How thoroughly is it checked ?
bdstone914
You can have heat without a working fan but you you need the J tubes there that go from the flex tubes to the fan. The J tubes go through the cylinder tins to the S branches. If they are not there the air will not blow into the cabin. I have and of the tin and blower motor that you may need. I picture from the forward part of the heat exchanger would help to know what is missing.
Mikey914
Well the defrost is the air from the front box, does it work? There is the rear fan also, but if the front fan works the rear is easy. Check the grounds before you take the front out if it's not working.
saigon71
I would take the time to get the stock system working. You should be able to buy everything you need in the classifieds.

It's not just about heat...In the short time my car has been on the road, I have needed the defrosters a couple of times in damp weather.

Moneypit
I'm in a similar but worse boat. The head exchangers on my 2.0 were pocked with rust holes, so we ended up cutting them off. I'm wondering how I'd go about getting some HE's fabbed up from SS, or if there are even SSI's out there that won't cost me trading my firstborn in for. I'm not in a position to buy right now, but would be curious to see if something could be fabbed by a competent welder using some exhaust clamps and SS to replicate the U shaped path it blows the air through. I have no idea the hose sizes but the good thing is that a close friend of ours is a welder and fabricator by trade.
barefoot
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Apr 27 2014, 06:28 PM) *

My car doesn't appear to have any of the heater stuff on engine side. It has the heat exchanger/muffler, and I can see the connections into the longs, but that's it. It came with a loose blower sitting in the trunk, but I don't know if it works.

In order to get the car certified, I need a 'working' heater/defrost system. However, I have no intention of ever driving the car when I might actually need a heater. So I don't want to spend a bunch of money rebuilding the whole stock system if I can avoid it.

Are there any ways I can cheat to rebuild a simpler system that will get me through the inspection?

If not, what parts do I need to rebuild the stock system, and what can I expect them to cost?

Thanks in advance for any responses!
Matt

See this page form AA, shows the ducts that go from the engine cooling fan into the heat exchangers, and the outlet bits that go from the H/E's to the inlet on the longs.
Someone has a set of most everything needed in the classifieds.
You can probably get by without the aux blower that site in the engine compartment as the engine fan will provide flow except at idle. You just have to cap off items 7 & 24. I got some freeby cap-plugs for mine. (Alliance plastic)
I had to go thru all this myself as mine came with no heat or fresh air vent parts.
Barefoot

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 27 2014, 10:59 PM) *

How thoroughly is it checked ?

Legally or illegally?

Class A wrench can lose his licence for "selling" or "under the table" safetys. It was often done, but as of late they (MTO) have cracked down.
mobymutt
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 27 2014, 09:29 PM) *

Depends who the "class A" mechanic is, legally (Ontario standards) it only states that it must blow air across the windshield. It doesn't say anything about it being heated air.
The system uses the engine cooling fan and an electric fan as a booster.

This is the wording I found:
"the motor vehicle shall be denied an SCC if: "the heating and defrosting systems do not function as originally intended""

Since I'm not allowed to drive the car, I have to tow it somewhere to get the safety. Which will get expensive fast especially if I don't pass the first time. Also doesn't really allow me to pick and choose a mechanic who may be more lenient.
mobymutt
Here are some pictures of what I have (or don't have). Sorry I couldn't get a good one of the whole underside.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mobymutt
I just spoke with the mechanic who certified my last car. He indicated that air blowing for defrost is important. He is not so concerned about the heat, as he thinks the consequences of potentially blowing exhaust air into the cabin (due to potential pinholes inside the heat exchanger) outweighs associated risks of not having heat.

So to get defrost air, do I just need to get those two front blowers working that are located in the front trunk below the windshield?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.