Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire sizes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cwpeden
Was changing autocross tires for all seans today and decided to weigh them.

Fuchs with Falken RT615K 38 pounds:
Click to view attachment

Old school Momos with Falken Ziex 912 32 lbs:
Click to view attachment

205/50 RT615K vs 205/60 Ziex 912:
Click to view attachment
lonewolfe
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Apr 27 2014, 04:25 PM) *

Was changing autocross tires for all seans today and decided to weigh them.

Fuchs with Falken RT615K 38 pounds:

Old school Momos with Falken Ziex 912 32 lbs:

205/50 RT615K vs 205/60 Ziex 912:

Wow, that is a huge difference in diameter. Looks more like a 40 compaired to a 70 than 50 to a 60.
cwpeden
And its not like one is worn either both brand new tires
lonewolfe
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Apr 28 2014, 09:14 PM) *

And its not like one is worn either both brand new tires

There must be a tremendous difference in the weight of those two different types of wheels. I thought the Fuchs were pretty light. I've seen those Momo's only a couple of times and really know nothing about them. Any idea of the wheel weights?
cwpeden
10 pounds
Dave_Darling
I recall that the Fuchs four-bolts were 11 lbs, so the wheel weight is similar. The forged wheels will be stronger, though.

I have read before about the Azenis tires being rather heavy. Looks like that is quite true.

And some tire brands are very well-known for understating actual tire width and overstating the sidewall height. Especially those intended for competition in venues where the labeled size is used. (Hint: The Azenis was originally made as a "street-car cheater" tire.)

--DD
cwpeden
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 29 2014, 11:58 AM) *

I recall that the Fuchs four-bolts were 11 lbs, so the wheel weight is similar. The forged wheels will be stronger, though.

I have read before about the Azenis tires being rather heavy. Looks like that is quite true.

And some tire brands are very well-known for understating actual tire width and overstating the sidewall height. Especially those intended for competition in venues where the labeled size is used. (Hint: The Azenis was originally made as a "street-car cheater" tire.)

--DD

All true Dave. If you look at these Momos wrong they bend.
toadman
A couple years ago I posted this.

Just got back from the post office. I used their scale to weigh, to the ounce, several common 914 wheels. All of these weights are for clean, bare wheels with no wheel weights, no valve stems or lug bolts. I am preparing a set of autocross wheels and a set of track wheels and want to start with the lightest, commonly available wheel possible. Thought that others might be able to use this info so here it is.

All wheels are 4X130 bolt pattern. The Minilite wheel is 6.5" X 15". The rest of the wheels are 5.5" X 15". Weights are from lightest to heaviest.

Mahle - 13 lbs. 4 oz.
Fuchs - 13 lbs. 15 oz.
914 Steel "Sport" wheel - 17 lbs. 0 oz.
914 Steel "Beetle" wheel - 17 lbs. 1 oz.
Minilite - 17 lbs. 15 oz.
achman_73_2.0
QUOTE(toadman @ Apr 30 2014, 01:23 PM) *

A couple years ago I posted this.

Just got back from the post office. I used their scale to weigh, to the ounce, several common 914 wheels. All of these weights are for clean, bare wheels with no wheel weights, no valve stems or lug bolts. I am preparing a set of autocross wheels and a set of track wheels and want to start with the lightest, commonly available wheel possible. Thought that others might be able to use this info so here it is.

All wheels are 4X130 bolt pattern. The Minilite wheel is 6.5" X 15". The rest of the wheels are 5.5" X 15". Weights are from lightest to heaviest.

Mahle - 13 lbs. 4 oz.
Fuchs - 13 lbs. 15 oz.
914 Steel "Sport" wheel - 17 lbs. 0 oz.
914 Steel "Beetle" wheel - 17 lbs. 1 oz.
Minilite - 17 lbs. 15 oz.

I weighed my Fuchs and they came out to right about 13lbs 8oz. They are very light for 15" wheels.

I will try to weigh my American Racing wheels when I make the switch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.