Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear roof latches
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
I am on my third set of rear latches. It seems that flex is putting too much pressure on them and I am having trouble keeping the c clips on them. When the clips fall off the latch vibrates apart and falls behind the seat.

I am wondering if others are having that problem and how you fixed it?
I am contemplating welding a washer on the ends but I suspect it might be cast.

Is there another fastener I can use to hold them together?

Thanks
John
r_towle

What???

Post a pic...

Rich
URY914
This is a new one for me. idea.gif confused24.gif
wndsnd
I know, I am having trouble figuring it out. The c clip is on a pin that should not have a horizontal load on it, only vertical, but yet there is a lot of pressure on them.
orthobiz
I haven't seen that. Get a refinished set from Bruce bdstone914.

Also, make sure no one put some kinda ring or tubing on the hook that lives on the roof. Recently I replaced the rear gasket from 914rubber, the one on the roof in the back with the fuzzy strip. Man, what an upgrade! I had forgotten what a quiet 914 was like without squeaks and rattles.

Paul
wndsnd
Unless they are assembled with the wrong clip to begin with......
wndsnd
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Apr 28 2014, 10:09 PM) *

I haven't seen that. Get a refinished set from Bruce bdstone914.

Also, make sure no one put some kinda ring or tubing on the hook that lives on the roof. Recently I replaced the rear gasket from 914rubber, the one on the roof in the back with the fuzzy strip. Man, what an upgrade! I had forgotten what a quiet 914 was like without squeaks and rattles.

Paul

Did that. Bruce's fell apart too. Interesting about the roof. I have not checked that.
JmuRiz
Might be a worn out set of seals like Paul said...squished seals could allow play.
bandjoey
Wrong roof version? Yes, add a piece of rubber vac hose to the pin and it tightens up the roof considerably. Also, new Mikey914rubber roof seals ?
JRust
WTF.gif So the clip itself just comes apart? I've never had one do that before. Hell I've had trouble getting them apart when I was trying to blink.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 29 2014, 12:28 PM) *

WTF.gif So the clip itself just comes apart? I've never had one do that before. Hell I've had trouble getting them apart when I was trying to blink.gif

The shaft for the clip has a shallow groove and the hook is a sloppy fit. I had a clip come off on one with new seals that were very hard to compress. Maybe a Palnut push on fastener would work better. They are the type used on kids wagon wheels that have locking fingers and are a one time use.

http://images2.mcmaster.com/Contents/gfx/l...ng?ver=19733168

http://www.mcmaster.com/#push-nuts/=rr26qk

Bruce
wndsnd
I haven't had time to look at it again, but I was so focused on the latch, I did not tackle the real problem.

I did replace the seals on the roof, I will look at the roof, there is obviously too much pressure for the latches.

Thanks Bruce,

Good idea, I will look at those.

And Thanks guys for getting me refocused.

John
Chris Pincetich
I had this happen to my re-stored latches. Perhaps the new paint/powder coat reduces the effectiveness of the groove that holds the clip in.

I re-installed the clip with just a dab of glue, and it has not given me any problems since. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.