Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering column pin-out?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
I've tried to make sense of the tiring diagram, but without any numbers on the pins, in lost. I took a multi-meter to it today? And only got a few of the easy ones figured out. Does anyone have a complete pin-out diagram for the connections on the steering wheel?

Turn signals?
Wiper seiitngs?
Flasher?
Horn?
Washer?

The ignition was easier, but P and X still elude me.
Eric_Shea
Early? 12 pin?
HalfMoon
popcorn[1].gif
CptTripps

Although, I do have a 73 steering column but I think it's the same
jcd914
Here is a picture of the column switches looking from below/behind and what the terminals are marked as on the switch.
ID and reference to where you can find these on the 1973 wiring diagram from Pelican.
The 31, 53, 53E, 53A & 53C are the Wiper switch (E, Tracks 6 - 10 on WD)
The PL, P & PR are the Parking light switch (E19, Track 30 on WD)
The 49A, L & R are the Turn signal switch (E2, Track 42 on WD)
The S, S- & 31 are the Dimmer(S) & Horn Switch(S-) (E4 & H, Tracks 16 & 17 on WD)

Jim
Note: in my picture I have mis-marked the 31, 53A, & 53B Terminals on the wiper switch. On closer look what I have marked as 53A is really 53E and What I have marked as 53B is really 53A and 31 is really S1. Yes I am over due to see the eye doctor sad.gif
Click to view attachment
CptTripps
So, if I'm reading that correctly...is this diagram correct?

(Please help me fill in the blanks if I'm wrong, I want to make sure this is out there for others in the future)
OU8AVW
Brad Mayeur was going to give me a diagram but I just bought a replacement column. Might be worth an email to him. He's super helpful all be a bit busy...
Cap'n Krusty
Look at the wiring diagram, or in this case, the flow chart. The color of each and every wire is on the chart, along with terminal information.

The Cap'n
CptTripps
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 29 2014, 06:14 PM) *

Look at the wiring diagram, or in this case, the flow chart. The color of each and every wire is on the chart, along with terminal information.

The Cap'n

I agree, but stuff like this is easier for some of us to follow.

That diagram and flow isn't the easiest for me to dissect quickly. Besides, I'm making a custom harness.
r_towle
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 29 2014, 03:36 AM) *

Here is a picture of the column switches looking from below/behind and what the terminals are marked as on the switch.
ID and reference to where you can find these on the 1973 wiring diagram from Pelican.
The 31, 53, 53E, 53A & 53C are the Wiper switch (E, Tracks 6 - 10 on WD)
The PL, P & PR are the Parking light switch (E19, Track 30 on WD)
The 49A, L & R are the Turn signal switch (E2, Track 42 on WD)
The S, S- & 31 are the Dimmer(S) & Horn Switch(S-) (E4 & H, Tracks 16 & 17 on WD)

Jim
Note: in my picture I have mis-marked the 31, 53A, & 53B Terminals on the wiper switch. On closer look what I have marked as 53A is really 53E and What I have marked as 53B is really 53A and 31 is really S1. Yes I am over due to see the eye doctor sad.gif
Click to view attachment

Wow,

This place always amazes me.
CptTripps
I took all the pics of the wiring diagram I could find, cleaned them up, stitched them together, and enhanced the text so some parts are more readable.

Download here if you want it.

PNG: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2853885...ing-diagram.png

JPG: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2853885...ing-diagram.jpg

I'm sure it's been done before, but this may help someone out that's searching for documentation.
barefoot
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 30 2014, 10:58 AM) *

I took all the pics of the wiring diagram I could find, cleaned them up, stitched them together, and enhanced the text so some parts are more readable.

Download here if you want it.

I'm sure it's been done before, but this may help someone out that's searching for documentation.

Thanks Doug; this is a big help.
Now I can crawl under the dash with my laptop on my belly and see things nice & large.
Barefoot (Formerly from Cleve town)
worn
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 28 2014, 08:20 PM) *

I've tried to make sense of the tiring diagram, but without any numbers on the pins, in lost. I took a multi-meter to it today? And only got a few of the easy ones figured out. Does anyone have a complete pin-out diagram for the connections on the steering wheel?

Turn signals?
Wiper seiitngs?
Flasher?
Horn?
Washer?

The ignition was easier, but P and X still elude me.

Thanks, I am trying to hook up an intermittent relay. This will help.

Now, tell me, was that a mistake or really clever in calling it a "tiring diagram"?

Mine are on the ipad so I get nice sharp colors. Flipping through the pages will make your head spin. chair.gif
worn
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 30 2014, 06:58 AM) *

OOOOOHHH! Nice. piratenanner.gif
worn
[quote name='r_towle' date='Apr 29 2014, 04:20 PM' post='2031056']

Click to view attachment
[/quote]
Wow,

This place always amazes me.
[/quote]

I have been trying to find the early 924 stalk to get the washer switch built in. I can only find the later models that don't match. Are there any VW stalks without the hose tubes and with a washer switch that will fit?
JeffBowlsby
These diagrams are incorrect, please delete and post new corrected versions. The problem with leaving these is that people save them, rely on them, and repost them - when they are not correct, so misinformation is spread.

Check the markings on the connector housings, at least the S, S- and 31 cavities are mis-located on the diagram. I did not check everything, there may be other issues.
jcd914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 30 2014, 11:21 PM) *

These diagrams are incorrect, please delete and post new corrected versions. The problem with leaving these is that people save them, rely on them, and repost them - when they are not correct, so misinformation is spread.

Check the markings on the connector housings, at least the S, S- and 31 cavities are mis-located on the diagram. I did not check everything, there may be other issues.

If these are incorrect please post a correction!
CptTripps
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 29 2014, 08:50 AM) *

So, if I'm reading that correctly...is this diagram correct?

(Please help me fill in the blanks if I'm wrong, I want to make sure this is out there for others in the future)

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 1 2014, 02:21 AM) *

That's why I asked.

If they are wrong, please correct them and I'll update the diagram.

I know the other one is correct, as that's just a cleaned up version of the one from the 914 service manual.
JeffBowlsby
I brought one issue to your attention, you are in a better position than anyone else to change your diagram and back-check your work.
jcd914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 1 2014, 02:13 PM) *

I brought one issue to your attention, you are in a better position than anyone else to change your diagram and back-check your work.

You said "at least the S, S- and 31 cavities are mis-located", based on what?
No offense intended but I would like some explanation of what you think is wrong here and why you think it is wrong.
Do I have the order wrong? Is it S-, S, 31 or 31, S, S- or what?

My switches are packed back in the plastic tub and in my shed where I pulled them from, so it is not as simple as just looking at the pin ID's again.

I will recheck the S, S- & 31 pins when I have time but that won't be for several days at least. I will be at Laguna Seca for the races tonight thru Sunday and then putting my trailer back in storage on Monday.

Jim
CptTripps
Only a few of mine are legible. That's why I asked for help.
r_towle
I thought the correct wiring diagrams were on pelican"?
JeffBowlsby
Hey Jim, the connector housing cavities are labeled:

CptTripps
Thanks Jeff! I'll update the graphic.

Have the other side?
JeffBowlsby
Why don't you just look at yours?
CptTripps
I spent a lot of time on this today. I'll post results and an updated pin-out tomorrow when I can get to a real computer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.