Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spark plug confusion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PorscheNut924
I ordered new spark plugs from Pelican Parts for my 1974 1.8. They are Bosch 7998, like this:

IPB Image

I also ordered new spark plug wires from a generic auto parts supplier...Bosch 09171. When the wires arrived, I discovered that the plugs didn't match up with them. The socket in the wire is too small.

Then I went out to my car and tried the wires and they plugged in just fine. I pulled out one of the current spark plugs and the top of it looks like this:

IPB Image

So that's why I'm confused. Did I get the wrong wires? If so, apparently that means the previous owner got the wrong wires as well, and unscrewed the little top piece from the spark plugs to make them work...

What wires or plugs do I need?
r_towle
That piece unthreads from the new plug, just use a small pair of pliers to take it off.
stugray
the tops of the plugs unscrew
PorscheNut924
So they're supposed to be like that? I wasn't sure if I got the wrong wires, or if I'm supposed to unscrew the piece from the top of the plug. wacko.gif

I ordered these: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Pors...33-1626139.html

But I appear to have gotten these: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Pors...8L/BS09171.html

Both of which say they fit the 1.8L 914. I looked up the 09171 wires on Amazon and their car model matching thing said it did NOT fit the 1.8.

So much confusion!
914itis
QUOTE(PorscheNut924 @ Apr 29 2014, 09:34 PM) *

So they're supposed to be like that? I wasn't sure if I got the wrong wires, or if I'm supposed to unscrew the piece from the top of the plug. wacko.gif

I ordered these: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Pors...33-1626139.html

But I appear to have gotten these: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Pors...8L/BS09171.html

Both of which say they fit the 1.8L 914. I looked up the 09171 wires on Amazon and their car model matching thing said it did NOT fit the 1.8.

So much confusion!

Simple,These plugs are used on different applications , they are not unique to 914's;some applications may require the tops, yours does not. Just remove them and and install.
Cap'n Krusty
Bosch spark plug wires are crap, that's why Porsche, VW/Audi, BMW, and Mercedes don't use them. Our favorite suppliers can get you good Beru (OE for Porsche) wires, and probably for less money. Give GPR a call. Those big time all-over-the-web parts guys are the LAST place you should be shopping for parts for your 914.

The Cap'n
boxsterfan
I bought the Clewett wires from PP. A bit expensive, but they are going to last me for a long, long, long time. Fit and finish was perfect.
PorscheNut924
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 29 2014, 08:02 PM) *

Bosch spark plug wires are crap, that's why Porsche, VW/Audi, BMW, and Mercedes don't use them. Our favorite suppliers can get you good Beru (OE for Porsche) wires, and probably for less money. Give GPR a call. Those big time all-over-the-web parts guys are the LAST place you should be shopping for parts for your 914.

The Cap'n

The basic spark plug wire set (not the Magnecor or Clewett ones) that Pelican sells for the 1.7 and 1.8 engines is from Bosch. The Beru wires they have appear to only be for the 2.0. Do the 2.0 wires work on the 1.8?

I got the Bosch ones because that's what Pelican sells for the 1.8. And I have Bosch plugs. They fit well. I guess I'll see if it runs well.
TheCabinetmaker
the last time I put plugs and Beru wires on a car, I removed the caps from the plugs, I gapped them, then threw the caps away. I then put the wires on, inserted the plugs, and to my surprise the wires wouldn't fit. I then found a package in the wires box with 6 gold caps. Further inspection revealed these wires had normal ends. Anyone else experience this?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.