Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help something died in my car at Route 66
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JRust
Okay so the saturday of Route 66. I woke up for the drive to find a new smell in my car. Wasn't to bad that day but has gotten progressively worse. I can't find the son of bitch anywhere. Try following my nose & that doesn't work. I cannot pinpoint where the smell is coming from. I've left the top off my car & the windows down in my garage. Figured eventually the decomp would be done. Trying to air it out & it does not seem to be getting any better. I've even had my kids come out to smell & try to find the source. I've taken a mini camera deal to get into all the places I can't see. I've found nothing headbang.gif I've looked under the seats, behind the backpad, in my vents, in the tubes in the long, under the dash, in both trunks, all around the gas tank. I'm at a loss sad.gif . When the smell is obvious & when driving it circulates the air making it worse. WTF.gif Looking for ideas to find it. I'm not going to smell that stromberg.gif going to WCR & back
76-914
throw your dog in there and watch him sniff it out. sounds like you got pranked at Rt66.
Eric_Shea
Jack tubes? confused24.gif

I'd pull the tank. There's some areas there that are hard to see or, yank the fresh air box and dismantle.
boxsterfan
Mouse died in the longs?
MoveQik
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 1 2014, 08:35 AM) *

throw your dog in there and watch him sniff it out. sounds like you got pranked at Rt66.

I would agree, put the dog on the job. If it was a prank, I would like my name cleared. I only did some "minor" disassembly. No dead animals. That's a bit low.
76-914
On second thought; did you allow Ron in your car then? Some of his farts require scrubbing off.
JRust
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ May 1 2014, 08:45 AM) *

Mouse died in the longs?

I looked in the longs with my mini camera deal. I also looked all around the gas tank & under. Camera was on of those on the end of like a 3 foot bending tube. So I could get to a lot of places. The dog is a good idea I haven't tried that
JRust
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 1 2014, 08:35 AM) *

If I find it was a prank I'm going to blowup.gif somebodies 914 up! Thats been driving me nuts for a month & a half icon8.gif
SLITS
What does it smell like?

Oh, I didn't get near your car.

It's Wills fault for breaking your jack tube cover.

Did something get spilled on your seat(s)?

Did you do a carry-out you forgot from Jemez Springs?

It's a Subie ... they smell bad anyway!
boxsterfan
Try pulling of the heater tube hoses that go from the heat exchangers to the longs. Then stick your camera in there...maybe something died inside the heater tubes/mufflers themselves.

Have you looked under the engine tin also? Mouse laying dead on top of the heads...

Pull the rubber plug at the doors and look into the sail panels? confused24.gif
JRust
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ May 1 2014, 09:44 AM) *

Try pulling of the heater tube hoses that go from the heat exchangers to the longs. Then stick your camera in there...maybe something died inside the heater tubes/mufflers themselves.

Have you looked under the engine tin also? Mouse laying dead on top of the heads...

Pull the rubber plug at the doors and look into the sail panels? confused24.gif

My heater tubes are open. I've got a suby & have looked in there. One place I haven't is up by the steering rack. I suppose it could be up in there
effutuo101
A long time ago I hit a deer that had already been hit. I had to put my car on a lift and wash the underside. I cannot describe how ripe that car smelled without a little bit of bile coming back up.

Good Luck!
SirAndy
I had a rodent crawl into the heater tubes and die in there. Smelled for weeks... icon8.gif

That reminds me, i need to cap off those tubes in the engine compartment, they're still open since i'm running headers.
smash.gif
914_teener
Pack Rat in the heater tube.....imo
Kansas 914
I hit a bird once in my truck - it got stuck behind the grille. I had to take the front grille off to get to it - maggots everywhere - disgusting.
Larmo63
Years ago we spilled whole milk inside my dad's old Ford Ranchero. We could never get that smell out of it and he finally sold it.
stugray
Under the gas tank is an access hole (from beneath the car) big enough for a small animal to crawl inside and die.

Look in there with your camera.
ConeDodger
Has anyone checked to see if Slits got home confused24.gif
bulitt
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 1 2014, 01:28 PM) *

Years ago we spilled whole milk inside my dad's old Ford Ranchero. We could never get that smell out of it and he finally sold it.

agree.gif Pull your carpets and see if the smell goes away.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 1 2014, 12:11 PM) *

I had a rodent crawl into the heater tubes and die in there. Smelled for weeks... icon8.gif

That reminds me, i need to cap off those tubes in the engine compartment, they're still open since i'm running headers.
smash.gif

Rattle can paint caps fit perfectly.

Elliot Cannon
Your car is a victim of the "SUBI CURSE". It will smell bad forever. I just hope it doesn't have an Italian steering wheel. poke.gif av-943.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 1 2014, 04:40 PM) *

Your car is a victim of the "SUBI CURSE". It will smell bad forever. I just hope it doesn't have an Italian steering wheel. poke.gif av-943.gif

What is your "curse"?

Jeffs9146
I had a rat climb up into the area of the stearing rack and then under the tank! It took me a while to find it!
stugray
I had a rat climb up into the area of the stearing rack and then under the tank! It took me a while to find it!

That is exactly the access hole I was talking about.
Chris H.
It was probably that old SOB Gustafson...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TRUnJ5JlYw

76-914
QUOTE(stugray @ May 1 2014, 03:11 PM) *

That is exactly the access hole I was talking about.

I think some Movie Star had that same thing happen a few years back. But it wasn't a rat it was a gerbil.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 1 2014, 01:46 PM) *

What is your "curse"?

I am not cursed. I've been blessed. av-943.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 1 2014, 06:55 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 1 2014, 01:46 PM) *

What is your "curse"?

I am not cursed. I've been blessed. av-943.gif

Healthy digestion and perfect farts.
JRust
I think it may be in the passenger long. Just weird as I looked int here with my camera & couldn't spot it. I think it is all the way back. Which on the passenger side there is a cap. Which is a little weird as they didn't cap the drivers side. Anyway I am going to open it up & see if that was it. Had a drop of liquid hanging from a drain hole? This hasn't been in the rain. So where could it be coming from. The drop itself didn't stink. When I wiped it with a rag. I did get a smell. So I am pretty sure that is where it is. I will report back when I find out rolleyes.gif
Kansas 914

QUOTE(JRust @ May 1 2014, 06:40 PM) *

I think it may be in the passenger long. Just weird as I looked int here with my camera & couldn't spot it. I think it is all the way back. Which on the passenger side there is a cap. Which is a little weird as they didn't cap the drivers side. Anyway I am going to open it up & see if that was it. Had a drop of liquid hanging from a drain hole? This hasn't been in the rain. So where could it be coming from. The drop itself didn't stink. When I wiped it with a rag. I did get a smell. So I am pretty sure that is where it is. I will report back when I find out rolleyes.gif

popcorn[1].gif
stugray
get ready for the scene from Christmas Vacation when Clark is looking in the xmas tree & the squirrel flies out
messix
up in were the steering rack is ?

I ran over a cat once, was pretty sure I heard it rattle all the through but jacked the car up when I got home just to make sure.
Chris H.
QUOTE(stugray @ May 1 2014, 07:55 PM) *

get ready for the scene from Christmas Vacation when Clark is looking in the xmas tree & the squirrel flies out

Aw yeah even better...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muhd05GBjMU

Squirrel!!
sixnotfour
mice can go from center tunnel to longs...or heater tube to front trunk or interior, down the other side....Mice Stink...........
clarkcou
When I dismantled my car I found 5 squirrel nests fairly quickly. But I found a 6th on top of the glovebox.
Chris H.
Just realized I'm probably in for it...played Mr. YouTube funnyman and I'm installing a larger Subie engine, plus/therefore my heater tubes have been WOT all winter. And it's been a really cold one. Better cap those up stat. Or maybe not that might trap a live animal in there... idea.gif aaaaaahhhhh! SUBIE CURSE!!!! new_shocked.gif

rgalla9146
QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 2 2014, 09:27 AM) *

Just realized I'm probably in for it...played Mr. YouTube funnyman and I'm installing a larger Subie engine, plus/therefore my heater tubes have been WOT all winter. And it's been a really cold one. Better cap those up stat. Or maybe not that might trap a live animal in there... idea.gif aaaaaahhhhh! SUBIE CURSE!!!! new_shocked.gif

Have you showered yet this year ?
Chris H.
I have, yes biggrin.gif . Thanks for checking though.
r_towle
Curious,

Is there a standard bolt in solution for heat in a Subaru conversion?

For the smell....
Hate to say this, but a rodent can crawl in the longs and all the way up to the air box for a nice winter nest....
Can't see that one till you remove it and open it up.....

Rich
914_teener
It.s a Facehugger....keep a flamethrower near by...... drooley.gif
Socalandy
The Rat in mine didn't smell at all. Maybe because it was mummified?
914_teener
Kinda even looks like a Facehugger! laugh.gif
JRust
It was definitely in the passenger long heater tube. Of course that was the one that had a cap welded over it. Pain in the ass to get at. I was able to barely get in there with my drill. Drilled a 3/4" hole as that was the biggest metal bit I had. Pulled the bit out & it was packed with shit. The hole was instantly covered with the sludge. I don't know what the hell it was. The fluid/gunk in there was just so nasty. Had a hard time not puking. The picture below is after I had drilled a couple holes. Then used a pipe to make a big enough hole to get my shop vac hose in there. So this pic is after I had vacuumed what I could. That shit you see in there was completely packed in the tube icon8.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(JRust @ May 8 2014, 09:59 AM) *

It was definitely in the passenger long heater tube. Of course that was the one that had a cap welded over it. Pain in the ass to get at. I was able to barely get in there with my drill. Drilled a 3/4" hole as that was the biggest metal bit I had. Pulled the bit out & it was packed with shit. The hole was instantly covered with the sludge. I don't know what the hell it was. The fluid/gunk in there was just so nasty. Had a hard time not puking. The picture below is after I had drilled a couple holes. Then used a pipe to make a big enough hole to get my shop vac hose in there. So this pic is after I had vacuumed what I could. That shit you see in there was completely packed in the tube icon8.gif

barf.gif
76-914
WTF.gif
Moneypit
So, any bones? You thinking this was a living thing at one point, or food?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(JRust @ May 8 2014, 08:59 AM) *

That shit you see in there was completely packed in the tube icon8.gif

barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif

Gross!
7TPorsh
how does that happen overnight?
914_3.0
Used to mix bands in the Midwest back in the '80s. One night after a show in Kansas, the lighting guy bought some damn anchovies after the gig as we left town for the cross-state drive home. He managed to drop some of them down in the door well of that E-150 van.

That was early in the summer, and we could never find those things. The smell was ridiculous. icon8.gif I'm still chewing his backside out for it today. splat.gif
bandjoey
Captain Kirk stand alone in the transporter room, communicator in hand. "Spock? Spock? Are you on the planet yet?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.