Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to degrease CV's ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Looking for the most efficient way to degrease a couple of CVs I picked up at the swap meet. smile.gif
r_towle
Kerosene, rubber gloves and a brush.

Dunk,and brush till clean.
madmax914
Soak it in Pine Sol. I found a rock tumbler on Craigslist, I made a canister with 3" PVC and I filled it half full of plastic media. I fill it half full of Pine Sol and let it tumble for 2-3 hours. Works great on grease and will cut the rust and grime on old bolts. Plus the parts smell good when they're done.
crash914
parts washer from Harbor Freight...Odorless mineral spirits....
Mike Bellis
If you pop them apart, rubber gloves and paper towels will make quick work of most of the grease. Then a follow up with just about any degreaser.
bdstone914

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 1 2014, 08:34 PM) *

If you pop them apart, rubber gloves and paper towels will make quick work of most of the grease. Then a follow up with just about any degreaser.

agree.gif
Just did six of them that way and used carb cleaner for what grease was left.
I find it a good practice to mark the orientation of the three main parts and put them back together exactly the same. I use a Dremel to make a small mark on the inner, outer races and cage.
Had many lock up after assembly if pit together differently.
stugray

Yeah, just a roll of paper towels and some elbow grease.
Then I used brake cleaner for the last bit.

Just do one at a time. You dont want to mix up the parts between different CVs (even if they look identical)
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 1 2014, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 1 2014, 08:34 PM) *

agree.gif
Just did six of them that way and used carb cleaner for what grease was left.
I find it a good practice to mark the orientation of the three main parts and put them back together exactly the same. I use a Dremel to make a small mark on the inner, outer races and cage.
Had many lock up after assembly if pit together differently.

Great tip ! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif That saved me a lot of time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.