Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Me and my 914!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Redhorseracing
Hi guys!!
Thought I should start off here by a hello post smile.gif
My story actually begins when I was 12 years old. My dad promised me a project car that we would work on for a few years and when I turned 16 I would be able to drive. We looked at a few alfas, old mustangs, and eventually a 914. It was in the area and was described as a "street racer" which of course caught my young eye. It turned out that it was too expensive, and we moved on. Well long story short, my dad talked him down a little without me knowing and purchased it and gave it to me on my 12th birthday biggrin.gif It was a grand total of $800, and we went on to work on it for over 4 years. We did EVERYTHING in our garage. Even to the point of buying tons of plastic and creating a mock paint booth in our garage. We rebuilt the engine with bored out cylinders and pistons to nearly a 2.1. Me and my dad drove it all the time and I absolutely loved the car. Flash forward to about 6 months ago, and I get a call from my neighbor saying that my car is on fire. I laughed thinking it was a joke but it turns out that it indeed was on fire, and burned down to the ground sad.gif It was a terrible day as you can imagine, and of course insurance was a pain and ended up being a disaster. Anyways, I have been wanting to buy another car to race either in scca or in another racing class, and of course a 914 was already in my mind. I a proud to say that I bought another one just this last week and it was delivered yesterday!!
Anyways thats my story and I can't wait to share my build with you guys as it comes closer. For right now I am just going through all the parts I received so you can also expect a for sale ad!
Thanks ofr your time reading this if you got this far, and I can't wait to get to know the 914 community better!
Blake
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=449
464]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

And this is my new baby!!!
Click to view attachment
Chris H.
welcome.png Sorry to hear about your first 914, but glad you got another one.
PanelBilly
Welcome
Mike Bellis
welcome.png
Krieger
welcome.png You have a great attitude! Just don't drive your dad nuts. He sounds pretty cool too!
KELTY360
welcome.png
aharder
welcome.png
DRPHIL914
welcome.png welcome!! cool story , so sorry to hear about the fire! how many years did you have that car- from the pics it looks like '80s or late 70's timeframe? - i was just down there in orlando last week! did not see a 914 the whole time -
and if you don't know, there is one of our members Joe, has a shop in DeLand just up the road from you called Series9!!! so you have lots of capable help if you should need it!.
btw, any idea what caused the fire? since you had "issues with your insurance, kind of curious who you have, you might consider a change for the next one --

again, welcome.png
Cairo94507
welcome.png Terrific story except for the ending re car #1. But glad to see you have another to begin a new journey with. Have fun.
76-914
welcome.png Be sure to add your vin numbers , past and present, to our data base. Too bad about the fire. Looking forward to your build. You won't be alone. biggrin.gif
Redhorseracing
Thanks for the welcome guys!
Philip W - I actually owned the car from 2006 till about 8 months ago. I am only 20 now so I am still a youngin' biggrin.gif We cataloged the build into a book that we made and put all the pictures there. I just took some cell phone pics of the book so you could see what the first one looked like smile.gif Although it does look remarkably 70s!
And I had no idea about series9! I just looked at their website and it looks like a great place to know.
And actually the fire was probably an arson case. I live with my sister now in a town home and my parents actually moved to England about 9 months ago, and we ended up having their cars. In total we had 5 lol We tried are best to keep 2 in the back and a few out front while we tried to sell them, but we still got lots of complaints. Anyways, no later then 2 weeks after the complaints came in my car caught fire in my driveway. Luckily it didn't damage the car that was sitting right next to it.Click to view attachment
Anyways Insurance was good (USAA) but of course all of the work that was put into it didn't really matter to them just the resale price. Thats the past though and I have a new one to adventure with smile.gif

76-914

Will do! I don't know if I have my old vin number. I will have to see if I have a picture of it somewhere. And my new car has one but its in a baggy somewhere that I have yet to find haha.
My current car vin I can add though which is a 2000 BMW M5. I bought it myself not running and shipped it from california. (A lot of people tend to think that I have a lot of mommy and daddy money, but I actually paid for everything 100% myself smile.gifClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Great car but I will probably sell it once most of the easy work is done on my 914 and I need money for motor parts and such.

Thanks again guys for the welcome!
Blake
ConeDodger
welcome.png buying a 944 with my 16 year old right now!
mdelwiche
QUOTE(Redhorseracing @ May 2 2014, 11:15 AM) *

Thanks for the welcome guys!
Philip W - I actually owned the car from 2006 till about 8 months ago. I am only 20 now so I am still a youngin' biggrin.gif We cataloged the build into a book that we made and put all the pictures there. I just took some cell phone pics of the book so you could see what the first one looked like smile.gif Although it does look remarkably 70s!
And I had no idea about series9! I just looked at their website and it looks like a great place to know.
And actually the fire was probably an arson case. I live with my sister now in a town home and my parents actually moved to England about 9 months ago, and we ended up having their cars. In total we had 5 lol We tried are best to keep 2 in the back and a few out front while we tried to sell them, but we still got lots of complaints. Anyways, no later then 2 weeks after the complaints came in my car caught fire in my driveway. Luckily it didn't damage the car that was sitting right next to it.Click to view attachment
Anyways Insurance was good (USAA) but of course all of the work that was put into it didn't really matter to them just the resale price. Thats the past though and I have a new one to adventure with smile.gif

76-914

Will do! I don't know if I have my old vin number. I will have to see if I have a picture of it somewhere. And my new car has one but its in a baggy somewhere that I have yet to find haha.
My current car vin I can add though which is a 2000 BMW M5. I bought it myself not running and shipped it from california. (A lot of people tend to think that I have a lot of mommy and daddy money, but I actually paid for everything 100% myself smile.gifClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Great car but I will probably sell it once most of the easy work is done on my 914 and I need money for motor parts and such.

Thanks again guys for the welcome!
Blake

It's great to see someone with similar taste...I don't feel as bad now...like I was cheating on my teener while she is being built!

Good looking wheels on that M5!

aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Blake welcome to the 914 world !
I am a big fan of Father+Son 914 projects...on the 2nd one right now and working overtime .
Have fun with your new build !
driving.gif
bulitt
Holy Crap! This makes me sad, and frickin pissed.

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.