Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O.T. little aircooled engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michelko
Hi Guys, found a nice video in my archive. It was on an old vhs-c tape.
I think it is about 10 years old. A friend of mine build these little beauty.

What do you think? IPB Image

IPB Image

7-banger
URY914
I think that might work in my car. IPB Image
seanery
very cool!
skline
That is way cool, however, I would be worried about ruuning that thing with nothing around the blade. That thing would take your fingers or hand right off. Those are very strong engines. It probably wouldnt even burp cutting your hand off.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 14 2005, 08:52 AM)
That is way cool, however, I would be worried about ruuning that thing with nothing around the blade. That thing would take your fingers or hand right off. Those are very strong engines. It probably wouldnt even burp cutting your hand off.

hehe

my uncle has a full size radial engine aircraft... i forget how many cyls IPB Image
jd74914
schweet IPB Image
nynone4
That IS very cool. I love the exposed rockers and pushrods! IPB Image
TimT
that is just too cool IPB Image
IPB Image
scruz914
That is neat! Did it ever make its way into a model plane?
Root_Werks
That rocks! IPB Image
Sammy
That propeller looks dirty, he needs to get some prop wash to clean it with IPB Image
DuckRyder
Would this not be more appropriate for a 914?

IPB Image
maf914
That is very cool, Michelko! Be careful with that propeller, though. IPB Image

How's your 914 rebuild coming? I sure do enjoy seeing your work in your "You have to be strong" thread.
michelko
QUOTE (maf914 @ Jan 15 2005, 05:47 AM)
That is very cool, Michelko! Be careful with that propeller, though. IPB Image

How's your 914 rebuild coming? I sure do enjoy seeing your work in your "You have to be strong" thread.

unfortunately it is a little cold in good old germany. Hard to work in the garage when the fingers are stiff frozen. Lokking for spring and the temperature is rising.
I found two additional clips from model-engines (four-bangers).
I´ll post them later.

IPB Image
Dave Blackburn
I saw one of the air cooled engines that they used on the "Spruce Goose" in the Seattle airplane museum.
It had 7 cylinders in four rows. You could look into the engine and all you would see are cylinders.
Here is some info I found out about it. Pretty wild.

Engines: The R4360 Pratt & Whitney engines are 3,000 horsepower each-the largest piston-driven engines for aircraft in production. Each engine has 28 cylinders, with two spark plugs each, totaling 56 spark plugs per engine, or 448 spark plugs per aircraft. For in-flight inspection and repair, the engines are accessible through the spar of the 13-foot thick wing. A Sight station located behind each engine allows an engineer to monitor for leaks, and to change generators and fuel pumps.

Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major

Regards,
Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.