Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dipstick Tube
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ken6432
I have a 2.0L engine block that has a broken dipstick tube (the tube the dipstick goes into, not the dipstick itself). Is there a way to replace that? Is it just pressed in? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ken
Java2570
I just went through this on my engine case...I ended up cutting it off flush with the
hole in the case and then drilling it out about 1/2" down. I bought a tube from McMaster Carr and pressed it in slightly and shored it with some JB Weld. So far, it's working really well. The original tubes are pressed in and are a bitch to remove.
Search around here, there's some threads that cover the topic and I think McMark
may have suggested the idea I used. Jon
Java2570
I just wanted to add, it depends on where your engine is....I wouldn't try to drill out my dipstick tube if the engine is still in the car. I would be afraid of getting metal shavings down in the case. The idea I used works well with the case split....you can see what you're doing and then clean it up. I've read that some folks flare a tube and fit it onto the broken tube but I didn't try that out.
stugray
When I had a case done at Rimco many years ago, I watched the guy pop out an old tube with a slide hammer and tap a new one in.

It took him less than 2 minutes.

I guess a piece of all thread down the tube and a small nut on the end would be perfect for that
Valy
I don't know how bad yours is but the tube can also be welded. Of course, it only works on minor damage. I had a tube 50% cut by the engine tin that was welded back nicely.
Jesco Reient
I have made a special steel drift that is slightly smaller than the tube in diameter and has a squared off shoulder on it, you remove the round plate on the bottom of the engine and it slides up inside the tube from the bottom and you can hammer the tube out from below and install the new tube from above. Even works well on a lift with the engine in the car. "Drain the oil first though"
John
stugray
and install the new tube from above

Have you found the correct tube to use for reinstallation?
I am guessing that some sort of rigid brake line works, just havent looked very hard.
Jesco Reient
QUOTE(stugray @ May 8 2014, 08:26 AM) *

and install the new tube from above

Have you found the correct tube to use for reinstallation?
I am guessing that some sort of rigid brake line works, just havent looked very hard.

Not yet, however I have also thought that turning a slightly heavier walled tube down to the correct OD leaving a step where the correct installed height should be is a possibility. I will be working on this solution in the short term as two of the Type IV cases I'm now align boring need dip stick tubes. So I've got to do something.
John
stugray
Well, when you figure it out, be sure that make a LOT of them.
I would be up for two.
Jesco Reient
QUOTE(stugray @ May 9 2014, 07:03 AM) *

I would be up for two.

I'll keep 914world in the loop as 914world has been very good to me.
VaccaRabite
My case had a bus dipstick tube. I removed it with a torch and vise-grips.
Tapped in a 914 tube and was good to go.
dlestep
a few of questions should follow...
1. What is the tube projection dimension, ensuring correct oil level indication on the dipstick?
2. What is the OD of the tube and what is the nominal ID of the hole in the case.
3. What are the functional alternatives?
stugray
apped in a 914 tube and was good to go.

But where did you get one?
I even posted a thread on here a couple of years ago, and never got a response of where to find an original part.
VaccaRabite
Off another case from my parts stash.

Lots of heat on the boss, wet rag wrapped around the dipstick tube to keep it cool, it came right out.

Zach
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 10 2014, 06:30 PM) *

"Bus dipstick tube"? The bus (and 411/412) version has the dipstick tube going through the alternator tin and into the oil filler assembly, which is bolted to the end of the case right next to the taco plate.

The Cap'n
ConeDodger
My new 240Z engine block had the same problem. I made one out of stainless tubing and a flaring tool. Measured the projection of the one that was on the original block and tapped it in place.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 11 2014, 04:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 10 2014, 06:30 PM) *

"Bus dipstick tube"? The bus (and 411/412) version has the dipstick tube going through the alternator tin and into the oil filler assembly, which is bolted to the end of the case right next to the taco plate.

The Cap'n

May not be bus.
My case had a curved dipstick tube instead of the straight tube in the 914. May not have been from a bus, but it was not a 914 tube.

Zach
Jesco Reient
QUOTE(stugray @ May 9 2014, 06:03 AM) *

I would be up for two.

OK, So it took me six months to get back to the dipstick fix, but here it is and super simple. in fact so simple I'm just going to pass it along. The parts are available at "FLAPS" you need the edellman 5/16 compression fitting to 1/4 pipe, 5/16 steel brake line, a long 3/8 drill bit and a long 7/16 drill bit. and a 1/4 NPT pipe tap. You drill out the original tube with the 3/8 drill then, Drill the hole to 7/16 diameter keeping the drill straight. Tap the hole to 1/4 pipe screw in the fitting figure the height that you need to have from your fitting to get 5 15/16 of tube sticking out. (Check that if you want, don't rely on my number, I don't want to hear about someone having the wrong oil level. The dipstick slides right through the fitting and the tube. Good luck and great driving everybody.

John

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.