Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-4 & 914-6 different torsion bar adjusting screws & levers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sbsix
I'm not sure, but I may have found another difference between the 914-4 and the 914-6. I received a pair of plated torsion bar adjusting screws from Bruce Stone today, along with other plated parts that were all beautiful, as usual. I noticed the screws were different lengths and started to research. My parts book shows 914.341.115.00 as the adjusting screw for all 914s, but checking Stoddard, the part they show for 914s and 911s is 911.341.165.00 (picture attached).

The two adjusting screws I received from Bruce are 55 mm and 58 mm in length. Both have the same screw pitch and screw length, but the longer one has a longer neck (see picture) and it appears to match the picture from Stoddard.

The parts book shows different torsion bar adjusting arms for the 914-4 and the 914-6 (the 914-6 shares the part number with the 911 again).

Does anyone have experience with this difference? Do I have 1 914-6/911 adjusting screw and 1 914-4 adjusting screw?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
r_towle
They should be the same length.
davep
The torsion bars have different splines, so the adjusting arms are different as are the A arms. Early screws were an Allen key style, and you show later ones. Other than that the differences may be due to different suppliers.
Eric_Shea
The 1970 911 units have a hollow hex.

The 914 units were the solid nut style.

I always try to use the 914 units. The 911 ones wallow out over time.

The 914-6 used the 911 suspension. It came with a 914.341.xxx.xx part number but it was all 911 of the era "except" the torsion bars.

I've commented on the 914.341 part number before... My "guess" from watching factory assembly films is, the 914 part number designates the front suspension (which is installed as one piece) as the units with the 17mm 914-6 bars, as no other piece on the suspension has a part number on it.
sbsix
Would that account for the differing lengths, assuming that my new adjusting screws are from a 914-4 and a 911? Reference material says that the 911 part number was used from 1969-89, so there are a lot more of the later style out there, and at some point the original allen head part was superceded.

My 914-6 original adjusting screws are allen head, but one is just about ready to give up the ghost, the screw head is cracked and failing. Tough to get it to adjust.

Stoddard lists the same 911 numbered adjusting screw for both 914 & 911, so I assume the adjusters will work with either adjusting levers, but the adjusting lever for a 914-6/911 will not work on a 914-4 because of the torsion bar spline count difference.

Good stuff, thanks!
Eric_Shea
They're all basically the same. The spline count on the torsion bar has nothing to do with the adjuster screws. The longer ones may have come later to adjust for the post 74 DOT ride height issues. One adjuster for all markets. It's a guess.

When you compare the threaded portion though... they're pretty much the same meaning; one would simply hang down lower than the other.
bdstone914
I think I sent you one layer 911 screw. I went to pack them and saw one had road rash on the head. I went to the 911 adjusters and pulled one. I will see if I have a matching one.
Bruce
sbsix
Thanks Bruce!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.