Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where'd my bushings go?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DMCF1Fast
I took my 914 to my local Cars and Coffee (Dallas, TX) yesterday. Teener did great on the way there. I got caught up in a line of 997s and a Viper so that was fun. Later when I was leaving the show as soon as I tried to shift to second I got huge amounts of vagueness and it started grinding every gear. This happened right in front of the line of people watching all the cars leave the show so I felt a little less than cool. When I eventually made it home and got the car on the lift I checked the shift linkage this what I saw. My shift coupler bushings were in tiny little pieces. Looks like I used the wrong grease a while back. Crazy they just disintegrated like that. No big deal but I was lucky I could shift at all.

Click to view attachment

914itis
Get the tangerine bushing. Install it and foget it
Tangerine link
McMark
I like the stock ones. http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...568/3863909.htm
Qarl
It's not the firewall bushing... It's the bushing IN the coupler.

IPB Image

The one McMark linked to
Krieger
The one on the firewall doesn't look that far behind. Oem works fine there too.
DMCF1Fast
Just got done replacing all the linkage bushings with some Delrin ones I had, boy that wasn't very much fun. I had to file and sand the new bushings for a while to get them to fit. The firewall one was the worst. It's shifting good now so I'm good for a while. I do want to get that firewall bearing from tangerine sometime thanks for the advice.
PanelBilly
This got me to take a look at mine. There isn't much flex. Should the assembley be like a u joint and flex easily?
r_towle
had that happen on a 356 once on the way home from a show that we won, on a sunday...with nothing but tape in the car.

Looked around on the side of the road and found some little sticks.
Jambed the sticks all the way around the middle shaft on both sides like little wedges....
Taped the whole thing around ten or more times to keep them all in place.

Got me home.

rich
Larmo63
Okay, I just purchased the Tangerine bushing. Next, I'm buying the other three bushings. Two go in the coupler, is there one in the back? Who do I source these from? Once you loosen the coupler, does it just come apart? How does the arm disengage in the rear? I see the bolt, but....newbie here. I was told I could ask the easy questions with no shame.....
Dave_Darling
Remove the set-screw in the U-joint. Hold the front shift rod and wiggle and twist the coupler so it slides off the front rod. Then remove the cover from the side-shift console at the transmission end of the rod. Remove the set-screw from the shift rod head, and wiggle the rod and head against the rod until you can slide the rod out of the head.

The rod slides forward under the car, out of the console. You replace the bushing on the console, and the cup bushing inside the shift rod head where it slides over the selector.

Also the firewall bushing, and of course the U-joint bushings.

To replace the U-joint bushings, you need to press the rod in the middle out. I used a vise and some sockets--a small socket to push on the pin, and a large one to support the outer part of the U-joint. Be careful; you can break the outer part if you press on it wrong.

The pin is pressed back in again after you install the bushings from the inside of the slot through the U-joint.

N.B.--Pelican sells a "super kit" that includes the above bushings, and might include new set screws. Those screws have a deformable bit of nylon in the side that acts to lock the screw in place. They should generally be replaced when you remove them.

--DD
DMCF1Fast
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 4 2014, 03:17 PM) *

Okay, I just purchased the Tangerine bushing. Next, I'm buying the other three bushings. Two go in the coupler, is there one in the back? Who do I source these from? Once you loosen the coupler, does it just come apart? How does the arm disengage in the rear? I see the bolt, but....newbie here. I was told I could ask the easy questions with no shame.....

Here is the thread I used today to replace my coupler bushings. Not too hard but need a vise or press and a bit of patience. I used Delrin bushings so I had to sand them some so they would fit.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=56765&hl=
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.