Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FUEL LINE REPLACEMENT - ANY TIPS ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EMMY 914
I just turned the key. It has been about 18 months. Gas leak. Fuel lines are brittle where they attach to rubber in engine compartment.

Any suggestions to make replacing these lines from the tank back ?
What type of lines to use?

I am hoping to drive it for 2 more years when 2 of my college students have left my payroll. Then restore it.

This is a 1975 2.0 FI

Thank you and God Bless,

Emmy
Kirmizi
Do a search for stainless steel fuel lines.
There's a couple vendors who sell them and they're well worth the price.
I'd also suggest replacing the old rubber lines also "while you're in there"...
bdstone914
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ May 4 2014, 09:37 AM) *

agree.gif

Start at the tank and replace them all the way to the injectors or carbs. Too many of they cars have burned up from fuel fires. If the lines are brittle in the engine compartment they are probably not much better in the tunnel.

Bruce
mepstein
I bought all new gas lines and clamps from chris foley at tangerine racing. SS fuel lines and rubber lines for the engine. New rubber injector lines, seals, ect. You will spend a couple hundred for everything. Worth it. I am not much of a mechanic but it was a pretty easy job. Just takes time and patience.
Spoke
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 4 2014, 01:30 PM) *

I bought all new gas lines and clamps from chris foley at tangerine racing. SS fuel lines and rubber lines for the engine. New rubber injector lines, seals, ect. You will spend a couple hundred for everything. Worth it. I am not much of a mechanic but it was a pretty easy job. Just takes time and patience.

agree.gif

Tangerine SS Fuel lines
patssle
It's also a great excuse to pull your gas tank to inspect for rust. I just pulled mine for the first time after 5 years of ownership - almost no rust despite bare metal except for under the one gas tank fabric pad. Also sanded down and painted the gas tank as it had slight surface rust from where it rests on the fabric pads. Replace those with rubber.

And change out those rubber lines too.
76-914
Yep, Chris is your man given your location. One of our West Coast members that makes these also has a "How to video". Tangerine might also have a video if not they'll have excellant support.
JawjaPorsche
Most hearty agree about Tangerine Racing. His products are outstanding and since you are pulling the gas tank you might as well as order a fuel tank sock too. Chris has those too. Give Chris a call, he will tell you exactly what you need.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm

Here is the video that gave me confidence I can do it myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxFRQTWLetw
EMMY 914
thanks much

keep them coming.

great car to drive - pain in the butt to work on
Larmo63
Can the tunnel lines be replaced without removing the engine?
boogie_man
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 4 2014, 09:59 AM) *

agree.gif

Start at the tank and replace them all the way to the injectors or carbs. Too many of they cars have burned up from fuel fires. If the lines are brittle in the engine compartment they are probably not much better in the tunnel.

Bruce

Where do the 2nd set of lines go from the tunnel lines to the fuel pump/carbs ???
Harpo
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ May 4 2014, 12:08 PM) *

Most hearty agree about Tangerine Racing. His products are outstanding and since you are pulling the gas tank you might as well as order a fuel tank sock too. Chris has those too. Give Chris a call, he will tell you exactly what you need.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm

Here is the video that gave me confidence I can do it myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxFRQTWLetw

Chris has a whole kit with everything you need
Qarl
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 5 2014, 06:46 PM) *

Can the tunnel lines be replaced without removing the engine?

Yes
toolguy
There are also a couple of bendable tabs in the tunnel that hold the lines from rattling around. . look inside and you can see where they are; bend them out of the way, and then bend them back once the new lines are in. .
luskesq
I ordered my kit from Chris last week and it includes everything from fuel tank to injectors including the 30R9 gas line, proper clamps, and more. Just waiting . . . .

Keith
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 4 2014, 09:59 AM) *

agree.gif

Bruce

The last part of your final sentence is NOT true. The lines in the tunnel are generally unaffected by heat and the environment because, well, they're in the tunnel. In fact, we see few plastic fuel line failures not induced by the hand of man on either of the lines going through the interior. The 2 lines going from the area of the pump to the engine compartment are somewhat more problematic, but they still have a pretty good track record. Furthermore, the lines in a MY '75 are the black Teclamit version, designed to take full fuel system pressure, and made of a MUCH tougher and more weather resistant material, the same stuff used with CIS which runs at up to 80 PSI, and is found on all manner of K-jetronic equipped cars. Failures of this line are virtually unheard of, unless of course that pesky "hand of man" comes on the scene ...............

Oh, and the diameter is different, too.

The Cap'n
1TRICK6
Robert (Rotary'14) sells the SS fuel lines and all the stuff you need.
Got a set from him and they fit perfect.
Here's a link.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=110158
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.