Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump Troubleshooting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve_R
I'm having some trouble starting my 73 1.7 FI engine after a rebuild.
I suspect it is a fuel delivery problem. When I crank the starter the engine fires up but quits as soon as I return the key to the on (run) position.

The pump runs for about 2 seconds when the key is turned on.

So, I would like to trouble shoot the fuel pump. I have a pressure gauge and I would like to hot wire the fuel pump so it stays on all of the time.

What pins to I jumper on the relay board to make the fuel pump continuously run while I run the engine.

I found this fuel pump trouble shooting link. However I can't seem to navigate beyond the first page.

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/FPChecklist_frame.htm

Thanks,
Thestigz06
A good temporary fix is to run a wire off a hot post on your coil through the tins. As for the fuel pump cutting out you possibly need to replace the relay for the fuel pump. Hope this helps!
bperry
FuelPump wiring
--- bill
TheCabinetmaker
Most common cause of no start after rebuild is getting t the fuel lines crossed in the engine n bay. I've done it myself even when they were marked.
914itis
QUOTE(Steve_R @ May 5 2014, 12:38 AM) *

I'm having some trouble starting my 73 1.7 FI engine after a rebuild.
I suspect it is a fuel delivery problem. When I crank the starter the engine fires up but quits as soon as I return the key to the on (run) position.

The pump runs for about 2 seconds when the key is turned on.

So, I would like to trouble shoot the fuel pump. I have a pressure gauge and I would like to hot wire the fuel pump so it stays on all of the time.

What pins to I jumper on the relay board to make the fuel pump continuously run while I run the engine.

I found this fuel pump trouble shooting link. However I can't seem to navigate beyond the first page.

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/FPChecklist_frame.htm

Thanks,

It is normal for the pump to prime for two seconds then stops when you turn the key on.
r_towle
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 5 2014, 06:34 AM) *

Most common cause of no start after rebuild is getting t the fuel lines crossed in the engine n bay. I've done it myself even when they were marked.

agree.gif

It will do exactly what you stated when you cross the lines.

If the pump fires up when you turn the key to start it, the pump wiring is correct and the pump works.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.