Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removing engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WestTX914
I need to pull my motor for new carbs and exhaust and reading the Haynes repair manual it says to pull the motor and tranny as a unit. Now I've pulled a 100 VW motors but never a 914. my question is do I have to pull the tranny as well or can I pull the motor without dropping the tranny. Thanks Mike
Bruce Hinds
It can be done without pulling the tranny, but it's much harder to do since the tranny doesn't have enough support on it's own to stay in place. It would have to be supported in addition to being moved aft to get the input shaft out of the engine or tilted to get the engine moved forward.

It's really no big deal and makes the re-installation much easier too.
r_towle
I would suggest you re think what you are doing.

When you pull the motor on a 914 it comes off the car with the trans and exhaust attached.
Then its sitting on a dolly and its really hard to get up in the air to change the exhaust system.

For the carbs, typically they would come off before you pull the motor to give you room to get the motor out....

So, both the things you stated could easily be done in the car, if not making the job easier than pulling the motor.

rich
TheCabinetmaker
I agree with rich. No sense in pulling the drive train. It all unbolts with engine in place.pulling everything just complicates the process.
Bruce Hinds
What was I thinking . . . .

I just focused on the pulling the engine part . . .

Carbs and exhaust . . . Leave it in!
914_teener
I suggest you rethink carbs.
r_towle
QUOTE(914_teener @ May 6 2014, 07:18 PM) *

I suggest you rethink carbs.

Well, he could just pull the /4 with fuel injection and put in a /6 with carbs.

That would make the thread nice and lively.
WestTX914
Actually I'm pulling the motor because there is a rattle when she gets hot. I just figured I'd replace the carbs and exhaust while I'm at it. I also want to powder coat the engine tin while I have everything apart. I'm currently running a holley progressive and none of the FI is there so dual Webers have been purchased. I would absolutely love to do a six conversion but thats not in the cards at this time. Looks like my life will be easier pulling the whole unit so that's what I'll do thanks for all the feedback and if anyone has a turn key 6cyl just sitting around I'd be happy to adopt it from you smile.gif thanks All Mike
SirAndy
QUOTE(WestTX914 @ May 6 2014, 01:55 PM) *

I need to pull my motor for new carbs and exhaust and reading the Haynes repair manual it says to pull the motor and tranny as a unit. Now I've pulled a 100 VW motors but never a 914. my question is do I have to pull the tranny as well or can I pull the motor without dropping the tranny. Thanks Mike

McMark wrote a really good "how to" in our tech articles section.

http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_engdrop1.php

bye1.gif
r_towle
Remove the exhaust first, then pull the motor.
Moneypit
QUOTE(WestTX914 @ May 6 2014, 09:51 PM) *

Actually I'm pulling the motor because there is a rattle when she gets hot. I just figured I'd replace the carbs and exhaust while I'm at it. I also want to powder coat the engine tin while I have everything apart. I'm currently running a holley progressive and none of the FI is there so dual Webers have been purchased. I would absolutely love to do a six conversion but thats not in the cards at this time. Looks like my life will be easier pulling the whole unit so that's what I'll do thanks for all the feedback and if anyone has a turn key 6cyl just sitting around I'd be happy to adopt it from you smile.gif thanks All Mike

There's no such thing as "turnkey" going to a /6 sadly. Otherwise there wouldn't be any cars left with 4's, or any need for Subie motors!

Too bad you're so far out, I've thinking or forming a 914 Mafia around here so whenever someone needs a hand they've got some guys on call. I've done the engine drop a few times, it always goes faster after you've done it more than once. I just remember it being tedious at first getting all the cables, shift rods, ground straps, etc disconnected first. Seriously, you should run an aircraft style checksheet to make sure you get EVERYTHING. The last thing you want is to drop the whole thing and leave the tranny ground strap connected. NOT GOOD!

I think it's always good to get the whole thing out at least for the merit of being able to take a good look at what's going on in there. It will be easy to look at the hell hole, battery area, floorpan, tunnel, etc. You can take the opportunity to clean things up in there, replace seals, get a new soundproofing mat from 914Rubber, change your engine/tranny mounts, and more. Just get a furniture dolly, some really nice jackstands, and a good and tall floor jack!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.