Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing old sealant from case
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lonewolfe
I have a couple of engine cases I've been cleaning up in preparation to build. What's the best way to remove old case sealant? I believe the old sealant is most like Curil brand. I've tried carb cleaner, alcohol, mineral spirits and lacquer thinner and none of these seam to do much. Should heat be used? Tell me what has worked best for you? One case was built by someone who used way too much and is ran all over both the inside and outside of the case halves.
Hawker
Asatone or goof-off works well !
wildman
My generic solution to removing sealants from machined surfaces (can't guarantee it will work on curil) is to scrape the globs off very carefully so as not to gouge the surface. once the large gobs are gone I spray aerosol carb cleaner onto a small square (2"x2" or so) of red scotchbrite until it is dripping wet and use that to scrub, It seems to clean off all sealant and oxidation without being so aggressive as to removing metal. I'm not sure why but the red seems to work a lot better than the green.
r_towle
a razor blade held straight up like a scraper.

rich
Jon H.
I use a rubber type of grinding wheel on my die grinder. The bristles are made of rubber and will not remove any metal. I use it to remove all of my gaskets from everything.

Its like this Rubber Disc
It was pricey, ($20 or so) you have to get the mount and the disc. I got it at the local NAPA.

Regards

Jon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.