Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Cap Through Front Hood
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Larmo63
I know the race 914 guys have probably done this, but I want to space my gas filler higher, cut a hole in the front hood and fill fuel through the opening. I have a few ideas on doing a "GT" type cap and how to do a spacer and rubber skirt, who has done this?
Pictures? Threads?
r_towle
Check out Eric Shea and his restoration.
I think he may even have sources for all the special parts you need for this.

www.pmbperformance.com
BKLA
Mittlemotor in germany has a GT filler "Kit" that includes a trim ring that was intermittently used on a few cars.

http://www.mittelmotor.de/webshop/englisch/mm.htm

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
I have a white hood that is already modified with the hole.
Bruce
Qarl
Since this topic has been brought up...

I am in the process of preparing my front hood for the cutout.

Of course, my car is completely disassembled.

I will be doing the GT-style through-hood with the finned Blau cap. What I am needing is measurements from the edges of the hood (rear edge and passenger side edge) to the center of the fuel filler hole on the stock fuel tank.

I received dimensions from Chappy (iamchappy) and Eric Shea and the location of the hole from the passenger edge of the hood is the same, but the location of the hole from the rear edge of the hood differs by about 1/3 to 1/2 an inch from both of them.

Chappy gave me measurements to the center of the filler.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3279713...4/hoodhole1.jpg

Eric gave me dimensions to the edges of the hole and stated that the cutout is 4 7/8 inches

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3279713...4/hoodhole2.jpg

A third measurement might sway me one way or the other.

The other option for me is to assemble my car and then do it (but everything is stripped and ready for repaint).

Larmo63
I measured this on my car to the center of the cap...all measurements are from the edge of the car, not hood...the 10" x 14 1/8" measurement is done with
a steel square, squared up flush inside the right fender....Does this make sense?

IPB Image
ThePaintedMan
I did mine by taping a sharpie centered in the fuel filler hole upside-down. Drilled a pilot hole, then made symmetric circle using a homemade compass. Then cut that out with a dremel. Hood and tank were already installed.

I think the best way is to fit the hood first and do it that way. That's the way to make sure it's in the right place for your own application.
Larmo63
I love the cap that Eric has on the yellow car....Do those fit our 914 tanks?

My idea is to machine an aluminum spacer to make the filler sit up a bit higher, use longer bolts in the eight holes, gaskets top
and bottom, run rubber foam around the stock skirt and it would seal to the hood if done with the right seal. If no GT cap is available, I
was thinking a fin could also be made/cnc'd to adhere or rivet/screw onto the stock cap to "sexy" it up....? Paint or powder coat the cap...?

Thinking out loud.
iamchappy
Not through the hood filler cap but hope it helps give you an idea
9146R
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 7 2014, 11:01 AM) *

I know the race 914 guys have probably done this, but I want to space my gas filler higher, cut a hole in the front hood and fill fuel through the opening. I have a few ideas on doing a "GT" type cap and how to do a spacer and rubber skirt, who has done this?
Pictures? Threads?

Click to view attachment
TJB/914
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 7 2014, 05:59 PM) *

Chappy,

I am wondering if your lid when open could be 180 degree off??
Looks to me like it would be easier to put the gas nozzle in??
Just wondering if you researched the proper flap opening??? happy11.gif happy11.gif
I know you probably followed Eric's instructions laugh.gif confused24.gif hissyfit.gif

Tom popcorn[1].gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ May 7 2014, 07:53 PM) *

QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 7 2014, 05:59 PM) *

Chappy,

I am wondering if your lid when open could be 180 degree off??
Looks to me like it would be easier to put the gas nozzle in??
Just wondering if you researched the proper flap opening??? happy11.gif happy11.gif
I know you probably followed Eric's instructions laugh.gif confused24.gif hissyfit.gif

Tom popcorn[1].gif

Hey Eric,
Where's your flap. happy11.gif
Tom
brant
and
Harpo
If eric is using the 110mm blau cap then you will need the matching blau base. This can be welded to the OE 914 gas cap flange. The mittlemotor option is currently the only ones that I'm aware of that have the 110 blau caps & base and they are not cheap. I got mine from a guy on Pelican but I don't believe he has any more.

Another member here on the board made some GT fins out of SS that were very nice. I used Epoxy to adhere it to my 110mm blau cap.
Click to view attachment
DavidClick to view attachment
Larmo63
There are many types of racing style fuel fillers online to choose from. I just wondered what was out there in the 914 world....
iamchappy
Mounted that way because of the slope on the hood. Also keeps it from flying open, and keeps stuff like water and dust from leaking in....

I also have an extra hood with just a hole.....
carr914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 7 2014, 05:41 PM) *

I love the cap that Eric has on the yellow car....Do those fit our 914 tanks?

My idea is to machine an aluminum spacer to make the filler sit up a bit higher, use longer bolts in the eight holes, gaskets top
and bottom, run rubber foam around the stock skirt and it would seal to the hood if done with the right seal. If no GT cap is available, I
was thinking a fin could also be made/cnc'd to adhere or rivet/screw onto the stock cap to "sexy" it up....? Paint or powder coat the cap...?

Thinking out loud.

I had some Caps made up a few years ago and Eric & I split them up. You need the correct base to be welded up to the Tank

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
I have a white hood that is already modified with the hole.
Bruce
Larmo63
I'll take a cap and filler neck......?
sixnotfour
a long time ago,,, stock cap with machined cap pressed over it, that accepts Fuchs center cap..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.